Dealing with social occasions?

jellybaby94

Good morning, I'm hoping somebody can help me!

I have been losing steadily over the last week or so, weighing everyday (I know I shouldn't) but yesterday I had a family event and the meal was calorific and inescapable. I have gained 0.4lbs today and feel disguested with myself :(

How do I avoid eating bad foods in these situations?

hi jellybaby
there is only you my love who can choose the meals you eat when your out or at home if you know its going to be high calories i suggest you do a little more exercise to give you a few more calories to eat also stop weighing yourself everyday bad demon you might find on you w.i. day you have not gained at all good look on your journey

It is probably just water. I promise! 0.4 lb is nothing.

Given that you are 5'9" and weigh 19 stone 12, you would need to eat 2350 to 2550 to MAINTAIN your current weight (I didn't know your gender or age, so I used my own for the calculator: female and 32). That's with very light activity--just above being bedridden. To gain weight, you'd need to increase that to 2850 to 3050 per day. Obviously, your calorie needs might be higher or lower than this, but it gives you a general idea. Unless you carried on the rest of the week having 3000 calories a day, I wouldn't worry about one slip. You'll drive yourself mad if you do. Just treat each day as a clean slate and do the best you can.

One bad day will not set you back that far. Best to put it behind you, stop beating yourself up, and move on. There will absolutely be setbacks along the way. No one has a perfect journey. But you don't need to treat yourself like a failure after one slip. Be kinder to yourself than that. And yes, as chezz says, stop weighing every day! Those little water weight fluctuations can be so disheartening. Once a week is the maximum, I'd say. Once a month is probably better, but I don't have that kind of willpower.

If you want to avoid having the horrible feelings that come along with indulging (they're hard to get rid of!), what I do at social occasions is plan it out as much as possible beforehand. Like, on my husband's birthday. I knew we'd be having pizza and cake, so I calculated how much I'd be able to eat and still stay within my plan. If I go over, I try to keep within the calories to maintain my current weight. That way I feel like I'm at least standing still rather than going backwards.

I am not a very social person and since I've started dieting I see myself being even more anti-social because social activities always involve food. I try to do what the girls said when I do go somewhere. But, well, it's not that easy to control your mind :/
I also would like to think less about food and diet, because it seems to be on my mind all day and I can't focus on my other activities.

I am not a very social person and since I've started dieting I see myself being even more anti-social because social activities always involve food. I try to do what the girls said when I do go somewhere. But, well, it's not that easy to control your mind :/
I also would like to think less about food and diet, because it seems to be on my mind all day and I can't focus on my other activities.

I know exactly how you feel Letzes, it can be horrible when your friends either want to go for a meal or out for a drink. There are calories everywhere. I really don't know a good way of limiting them, the only thing I have found is doing a large amount of exercise on a day that you know you will be eating a lot so that you are still under your calories :)

Do your friends know you're trying to lose weight? My life got a whole lot easier when I just told people about it. They don't seem to mind going out to eat at places that have nice salads instead of somewhere that fries everything. As long as the place has things they want to eat as well, they're OK with it.

I've never been a big drinker, though, so it's easy for me to just have a lime & soda if we go out to a pub. I'm not tempted by something more calorific there. And like I said, I plan ahead as much as possible. If I'm eating at someone's house, I eat something filling beforehand, and I drink plenty of water all night. If I'm going out to eat at a restaurant, I look up menu items on MFP and decide what I'll eat before I get there.

Some people will not be OK with making allowances for your dietary restrictions, but to be honest I'm not sure those are people I'd want in my life. Some people will sabotage by offering your favourite food, then claim they're "only trying to be nice." They aren't. Being nice = being supportive.

Back