Total Solution Dear Diary... today I feel a little bit thinner...

StarCrossed

Hello!

I'm starting Exante tomorrow and, in a bid to keep me on the straight and narrow/sane, I thought I'd start a diary on here.

I'm nervous tonight as I've never done a VLCD before and am not sure what to expect. Obviously I've read everything but not sure what to expect from me!

I've spent the day umming and ahhing over a binge or cutting down ready for tomorrow. I've put two 2l bottles of water in the fridge ready for tomorrow's shakes and drinking and contemplating going to bed.

Wish me luck! :D

So day one is over and done with! It was, *gasp* dare I say it? Easier than I expected. It really made me realise how much of the time I eat it's through pure boredem!

Started with a banana shake at about 11am, had my Thai chicken soup at about 6:30pm after drinking tonnes of green tea in between (honestly I look like a green tea bag!) and a toffee, nut and raisin bar at about 9pm.

The only thing I would say is that I got a HUGE craving for something savoury, luckily I had some Marigold bouillion which sorted me right out!

Already, without any carbs, I can feel me "unbloating" and my clothes are feeling better. It's TOTM as well and after a sneaky weigh (yes I know!) It looks like I've already lost... 5lbs! Utter shocker! Probably water related but Oh my god!

Let's see how today goes :)

So, day two is here

Heya!

The bar was alright actually. It was bigger to manage than I expected and I sort of picked at it a while. I liked it better than the soup but less than the shake. I'm really keen to try the porridge as I LOVE porridge but there isn't any in the bumper packs and I'm trying to save money at the moment :)

Well done on getting to day 3 :D

Hi Starcrossed, welcome to Exanteville ;) The first week can be challenging but if you stick to it things get much easier and the results are fantastic. You'll be slimmed down in no time! If you have the right mental attitude it will be easy and quite enjoyable once the first couple of days are done - and you're already well on your way there :D If you view it as something you have chosen to do as the route to being slim you will feel fine. The people that suffer seem to be those who look at it as a form of deprivation. Whilst it's not a grand gourmet experience it is certainly palatable enough and a great way to shed the excess baggage really quickly and safely. I know you already got your water sorted but believe me, I can't over emphasise how drinking it makes all the difference both to how you feel and weight loss.
Good luck with your 2nd day, you'll be so happy when you get on the scales next week :D
Angela x

Hello both.
I have just swapped to Exante from CD (lost 3 1/2 st 2 years ago and maintained, now back to lose some more). I find the porridges lovely - quite like ready brek - I have it quite runny and it's very creamy and filling. I ordered a pick your own bumper pack which was around £130 for any 84 items, more expensive than the premixed packs but I wanted to try everything and not get stuck with stuff I didn't like. The bars are ok - quite dry but if you nibble at them with a drink they last ages and fill you up. Useful if you're out somewhere too.
I find all the products nicer than CD but that may be just my personal taste as I'm not keen on things too sweet. Don't be scared to tweak the shakes etc - the vanilla and choc are nice hot and more filling when you've just started and both are good with either extra vanilla or a tspn of coffee as I find them a bit bland but nice and creamy. You can put chilli, herbs and pepper in the soups so make them more to your taste. Just be careful about flavours that you choose the ones without any carbs (traces are fine).
Good luck to you both :)
Angela x

Hi Angel,

Thanks for your message! You're totally right. I quit smoking last year after 10 years on the evil weed and a lot of the time I felt like I was "deprived" but if I keep reminding myself with this, like I did with smoking, it's all for my benefit then I think I should be ok!

That I stuck a horrible photo of myself on the fridge!! :D

Last edited:
Yes Starcrossed, you may want to put a new photo each week next to the horrible one to show yourself how much you've changed too, and maybe a picture of something you will be able to wear when you get to your target . At the beginning I weighed over 15st and my motivation was the quite negative 'I don't want to be fat' variety. That wears off as you start to feel better and needs replacing with positive - and going into a 'normal' shop changing room to try a size 16 and having to get the assistant to bring a smaller size felt better than anything I've ever tasted!!! :D
Having maintained for 2 years I've chosen to do a vlcd again because I know it works, and quickly :D

That's a fab idea! And yes the clothes thing is a massive buzz/important thing for me.

Day two has been tougher. Chocolate shake (yuk!) mixed it with hot coffee and still Not quite right. Mushroom soup was surprisingly ok desire hating mushrooms! Chocolate orange bar was good (and the little bits of chic were HEAVEN)

Hopefully I'll be in ketosis soon! Xxx

Well I'm at the start of day three now and I have learnt the following.

I frickin' love my blender, I wish I could take it to work.

Vanilla shakes are soooo nice..... I know I'm as surprised as anybody.

I'm certainly in ketosis as I've got that funky taste in my mouth that feels like I've been swilling nailpolish remover around it.

Actually found it a bit of a struggle this morning to finish my shake even though I really enjoyed it! It's raining as well and I'm super keen to take my dog out for a walk but he's having none of it.He HATES the rain bless him!

I'm thinking Tomato & Basil soup for lunch (have bought some extra basil just in case it's uuky) and toffee, nut and raisin bar for dinner. I've got my bouillion to keep me going as well and even bought a pot for my desk at work as well so I'm all ready to go to work with the diet.

I thought the weekend would be the hardest bit so that's why I've started on a weekend but so far so good. :D

Day 5 and the food is getting nicer :)

Today was my biggest challenge so far! A day at work with a huge board meeting... Dominos an wine. I drank my shake and if anybody questioned I just said "wedding dress!!!" which seemed to work. So proud of myself! Now I'm just worried about the client meeting/lunch next week. I have to eat but think I may phone the super fancy place ahead to ask about low carb options. I'll post the menu later and u can help me pick. :)

Well done you :) I bet you felt so much better after that meeting and all evening having resisted. It does help loads if you plan ahead so that you can sort of do it on auto pilot - if you decide beforehand then you won't even have to study the menu next week so that's a great idea.

Thanks :) I've got a plan of feigning food sensitivity and ordering a plain omelette or something. That won't throw me out of ketosis will it?

I've worked out any fluttering/heart things seem to coincide with caffeine so looks like I may have to chop that out. :( I've always guzzled caffeine so ice probably been over indulging and not thinking about it. So decaf coffee and coke/dr pepper zero will have be treats.

Just on my way to the dentists and as I'm having injections and work done I've already had my shake (chocolate) and bar (tesco raspberry one) as I thought fuel would probably help a bit. Chocolate shake still needs work as I boiled the kettle and tried to mix it and it nearly exploded! Luckily nobody got hurt etc but need to work that one out hehe.

Bar was lovelllyyyyyy. :) quite chuffed with that. All the girls At work are now addicted to boullion and went and bigger their own last night. Tis a wonder drink!!! Xxx

Haha - I've told waiters I'm diabetic before and can't eat carbs so they're fine about giving you a salad or veg instead of the carb part of the meal. Once you've said it you've also put yourself in the position of not being able to order dessert even if you're tempted ;) Any kind of fish (not battered or breaded), chicken or meat with either salad or veg won't put you out of ketosis. I usually go for steak and salad and never have a problem. Be careful about any low fat dressings as they often contain sugar - best to ask for olive oil and vinegar.
I also get palpitations if I drink coffee or coke, feels horrible doesn't it? One cup of regular tea seems okay but rest of the time I stick to decaf. Some people find caffeine affects their weight loss too so not a bad thing to avoid it.
I find the shakers leave a few lumps in the shakes but hand blenders are fab for mixing and you shouldn't have a problem with the hot one - places like tesco and asda usually have them for about £5. Good for mixing extras like chilli and herbs into the soups as well :)
Glad to hear your determination is still going strong, there are bound to be days we get fed up with it but if you just manage to make it through one day at a time it passes. And we will look fabulous in our wedding dresses :D

Oh wow! Some great advice there. Thank you!!! Will have to use that info for sure. Will pick up a hand blende for work as well :)

I'm trying on dresses this weekend. Super excited!!!! :D

Back