Decisions decisions

chelly42

I have just eaten approx 120g of pralines & cream ice cream !!! on top of 2 slices of wholemeal 800g bread as syns today...
i am really struggling at the moment... i have lost 24 pounds since May this year, but the last 6 weeks have had gains, followed by a few weeks of losses so getting no where fast :sigh:
I have to deal with poor health and little excercise but try so hard to stay on track.
This week we have had some very bad news which will affect our future very badly and the stress is going to be horrendous.
I don;t know whether to give up group or try to go till things get worse.

Hi Chelly, I can certainly feel for you as I struggle with bad health and cannot do any exercise to speak of. Makes things soo difficult, doesn't it?

However...24lb is pretty good going and a goodly amount as well, so very well done you!!

The stress problem is very hard to deal with and I too have been battling with some lately.
Sending you lots of (((hugs))) and the very best wishes ....:)

My advice - keep going as long as you're able/happy to do so. Sometimes our motivation slips or life's bumps get in the way - it can be as important to keep going - even if our journey has "stalled" - now as ever before. Things can/will click back in place in their own time - but at least by going to group - there will always be that awareness in your mind about what you are eating - which just in itself can help limit any "damage" being done.

Ok so we've learnt from your post, in times of stress you turn to food. So if ice cream is what you want to eat why not, you can incorporate it into your daily syns, have a look for low syn ice cream; we are allowed 3 slices of some bread as hexb, but I don't know which one it is. Switch from EE to green or red days this way you can have two hexb's.

Yep me too have been struggling with stress, on 14th Sept we lost my FiL suddenly he was the main carer for my MiL so we are now in the process of selling her house & maybe ours as she may come to live with us, I have been made redundant & on 30th Nov I go on holiday & don't have a job to come back to, my mum is getting confused so that's a worry. For a while I wasn't sleeping, forgetful, couldn't speak properly, but after a weekend away with OH realised I'm worrying about things I can't change, there are some things I can change & I'll work on them.

I know it's easy for me to say but try to stop stressing about something that will happen & do your best the things you can change.

poor you, sounds like you're having an awful time (you too HH) really making me grateful for my simple life.

In my opinion, keep up with SW, you have done brilliantly so far and its one aspect of your life that you can be in control of which in difficult times could be a little boost when you need it.

As HH says try red/green so you get the extra HEXs, think of the tings you like to eat when stressed and look up some SW friendly options,

I think planning will be key for you, that way you'll not be stressing about what you're going to eat when on a daily/meal by meal basis you can plan it all out then be ready for the day as it comes.

Wish I could offer some better advice but keep your chin up, you know you've always got this forum to come to to rant or blow off steam or just have a cry

good luck hun xx

Thankyou so much for your kind replies.
I am trying hard to keep on track... have had a few lapses re packet of large size choc buttons, some cadburys dairy milk... when things have really got on top of me.... and yes i have discovered i turn to food when am under stress . I have got through some pretty bad things in the past but this is going to take everything i have got to deal with and yet i so want to keep my weight down .... so i will try my best and wish all of you the very best with your journey too

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time in your life right now.

I was chatting to my consultant yesterday at weigh in, and she was telling me about a few group members who are on as much as 40 syns per day instead of the normal 5-15. She uses this tool for people who just can't manage to stick to the 5-15 (they often manage to go 100% for a few weeks, then finally crack and have a few big binges, and the weight goes back on). It's a vicious cycle.

I don't suggest that this is the right time in your life to be examining your relationship with food and stress, but perhaps if you're finding the plan a little too tough at the moment, you might consider upping your syn allowance a bit. It might slow your weight loss down, but it might make life that little bit easier and stop any binges, etc.

If you can, keep going to group - it'll give you some focus and everyone knows it's easier if you stay to group to keep losing (or staying the same if that's the best life will let you do at the moment).

bless you for your support, i am going to have a word with my consultant and see what she advises ... thankyou i really appreciate it.

Back