Deflating the Bouncy Castle

Thanks!

So - making calorie counting work for me has lead, as I anticipated it would, to starting diet chef. My delivery arrived yesterday, and today I had Cambridge brekkie (or the museli I bought will go off), a bar for morning break, and then a dietchef soup for lunch (carrot and butterbean - nice)) and an afternoon snack of dietchef maple syrup flavour popcorn (loads of it, not too sweet - yummy).

I feel full and very positive about dietchef as the way forward for the time being.

I have to confess I'm hitting the diet cokes hard again. One habit that my time on cd has not cured me of. Wish it had. So bloody expensive.

Spangles your doing so well and good to hear the dietchef products are good. I understand what you mean about the diet coke but when I last did CWP (successfully that is!) I found myself just not wanting them so as a result I drink them only now and again. Mind you it may have been to do with the fact I read an article about the ingredients and that may have put me off them for a while!

ooh - also, some highlights from the last few weeks of floristry:

533525_10150874940578975_652123974_12593459_1478159412_n.jpg

525958_10150874967158975_652123974_12593557_1703368198_n.jpg

527437_10150874975283975_652123974_12593627_1657227043_n.jpg

Then this week I was really proud of - though in reality it's pinker than this (none of the roses are orange, although they seem to be here).
549673_10150874984033975_652123974_12593655_1978126813_n.jpg

528414_10150874987158975_652123974_12593691_783883419_n.jpg

560337_10150874991423975_652123974_12593734_1338457667_n.jpg

Wow, the floral arrangements are lovely. You have a real talent.

Spangles, you've done amazingly well - you must count as a CD veteran by now! As i am not losing weight as quickly as others on the forum i know that i've got many more weeks on SS so it's good to see that it can be done on a long term basis. I was wondering whether you are finding calorie counting easier than CD.
I think Diet Coke has some secret highly addictive ingredient!
x

i find calorie counting itself fairly straightforward. my mum was on a diet my whole childhood so, despite being a skinny kid, i've always known the calories in various foods. But i find that the lines get blurred.

I'll be in the kitchen, and can't resist a cherry tomato or a scrap of parma ham... we're talking small-time stuff, and i make sure i compensate elsewhere if need be - but i do worry that it's the slippery end of a thin wedge. Or something. ;)

I started CD because i was failing at calorie counting, day after day after day of restarts... at the time, i found calorie counting impossible - now it's working better. But i don't trust it. Or rather I don't trust myself like I did on SS.

I've started using MFP for tracking my calories / carbs etc. and I've found it really helpful. I've upped my calories to 800 (as a maximum) but still keeping to 60g carbs to keep in ketosis. I've found that logging everything has really made me conscious of the 'bits' I have that previously I may not have given a second thought. So those few nuts actually equate to 100 calories for quite a tiny amount, and that the carbs in a certain something take me over my 60g limit so I choose not to have it. Keeping the kitchen scales out on the worktop so that everything gets weighed and counted has kept me on track too. When you're SSing it's easy peasy in so far as there are no calories and carbs to count, but start adding in other things and it becomes more difficult to keep track. MFP is my new obsession ;). I've only been using it for 10 days but it's already helped me to make better choices. It's definitely going to feature in my maintenance plan. And the iphone app makes everything so easy.

When you've done well at it for a few weeks I think you can gradually begin to trust yourself. And then hopefully you will gradually move away from counting and move to a place where you can eat an appropriate amount without counting. I am still a while away from that and need to know calorie contents at the moment. It's also good to remember that the future will involve eating a bit of extra food some days, many people do it - even the normal slim people - they compensate without realizing, oh how id love to do that- but my point is, it will get easier and you will gradually learn to trust yourself and manage food better. I can see you are cautious to take steps you feel comfortable with, and that's essential. No diving into the deep end, but walking through the shallow sections first so to speak!

I am so pleased and honored to have watched you on your journey I will never forget the help you've given me, and the level of understanding I reached on my own eating issues, through reading of yours. Thanks for choosing to share your deepest thoughts on here, and for your perspective along the way.x

thanks hun. I have to stay counting for the foreseeable because i'm still obese and not yet eligible for IVF.

Borders Girl, I do use MFP, and I've kept food diaries for years so I'm very aware of recording every little thing... but it's the having freedom that comes with calorie counting that i find dangerous. Before, food was off limits, which is why i didn't have a single cheat or blip for over seven months. Now it isn't and i have to be stronger. Which is emotionally hard, although the calorie counting itself isn't.

Stunning flower arrangements Spangles!!

Loved Lara's post and I can only reiterate the same sentiments and thank you for continuing to share your journey with us.

Thanks all. Illa! Lovely to see you.

Regarding aspartame, I know it's bad, but to my detriment, I've never really cared. I've never really been too worried about the various dodgy substances I've consumed over the years (in the past, FAR worse than aspartame...:eek:). It's like knowing sausages are full of arseholes and eyelids. It should put me off, but it doesn't.

Tonight I an drinking my dinner calories. In the form of vodka. Hurrah!

I didn't in the end. I had two, over the course of three and a half hours. vodka and diet coke = 50 cals a time.

Really enjoying dietchef. Today's food:

Brekkie
40g museli, 150g fat free natural yog and 100g blueberries = 275 cals

Morning break
CD bar = 169 cals

lunch
dietchef chicken and bean salad = 251 cals

Afternoon / evening snacks:
salt and vinegar popcorn (awesome!) = 106 cals
graze 'fruity ploughman's' snack (breadsticks and chutney) = 95 cals
2 x vodka and diet coke = 88 cals

Dinner:
dietchef beef in ale stew = 201 cals
1/4 pack waitrose veg = 55 cals
200g strawberries = 56 cals

then subtract 84 cals for 20 mins brisk walk between work and the pub, and you have a net total of 1212 cals.

which considering step 5 is sposed to be 1500 cals, is pretty cool (and loads of food!). I'm aiming for 1200 tbh. Stil want to shift these last few pounds, but they're so stubborn!

Wow that is an amazing amount of food for 1200 ish cals, so glad diet chef is working for u hun, when u off to ny?

a week tomorrow. can't wait!

yes - i haven't had anything I haven't liked from dietchef yet. and it's filling enough - easily. smaller portions than the CD recipes make, but i've always thought portion sizes on CD were too big (apart from the products, obviously).

Now low carb, but things edge toward the lower GI end for lunch and dinner. (snacks and brekkies are all carby - but not sugary).

i think for me, keeping meals smaller is a good plan, so that I can plan for regular snacks. and the odd vodka, obviously... :D But the period between 3-6pm has always been my danger time, and today I was able to have two snacks during that time (plus boozes) and still stay on track. prior to CD i used to eat nothing for breakfast, have a huge lunch (2x 10-inch sub rolls from the canteen, with chicken mayo filling) - usually at 11am (tho sometimes at 12.30)... and then aim to somehow get away with eating nothing until dinner at 8 ish. I think i thought the ideal was to eat as close to nothing as possible... but when i did try to bring snacks into things, i used them as a trigger to binge.

Back