Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

35. SAUSAGE AND BEAN CASSEROLE - Serves 4

Syn Free

8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
400g chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can of cannellini beans, drained

Cook the sausages in a frying pan or under the grill until cooked through. Keep warm.
Spray the frying pan with Frylight and cook the pepper, onion and garlic for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally until softened.
Add the tomatoes to the pan and leave the mixture to simmer for about 5 mins, until slightly reduced and thickened.
Stir the puree, beans and sausages into the mixture. Cook for 4-5 mins, until piping hot. Add a little water if it becomes too dry.
Season well.
That's it! Easy!

We usually have this with mashed potato and loads of fresh veg.

Last edited:
36. MONKFISH PARCELS - Serves 4

Syn Free.

2 courgettes, sliced
1 large red pepper, peeled, de-seeded and cut into strips. The pepper needs peeling otherwise the skin hardens.
2 monkfish fillets, about 125g each, skin and membrane removed. The fishmonger in store will do this for you.
6 smoked rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed.

Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Cut 4 large pieces of tin foil, each about 23cm squared. Brush with Frylight, then divide the courgettes and red pepper among them.
Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen roll.
Cut the fish in half, then put 1 piece on top of each pile of courgettes and pepper.
Cut the bacon rashers in half and lay 3 pieces across each piece of fish. Season with pepper and a little salt. Spray well with Frylight.
Close up the parcels, seal tightly and transfer them to an ovenproof dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
These are lovely with pasta and veg, new potatoes and veg................

Last edited:
37. OVEN-BAKED PORK BALLS WITH PEPPERS - Serves 4

Syn Free.

450g extra lean pork mince*
4 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 each - green, red and yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped into small chunks
225g cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6, 15 minutes before cooking.
Mix together the pork, basil, 1 crushed garlic clove, the 3 tomatoes and seasoning until well combined.
With damp hands, divide the mixture into 16 equal portions, then roll into balls and set aside.
Spray the base of a large roasting tin with Frylight and place the pork balls in it with the remaining garlic and peppers. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and stir in the cherry tomatoes and season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper. Bake for about a further 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, stir in the balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.

This is lovely with some tagliatelle or crusty bread, if you still have your HEX left! :)

* The only Free pork mince listed on SW on-line is:

Tesco Extra Lean, chilled.
Tesco Finest Outdoor Bred Pork Mince, chilled.
Waitrose Essential British Pork Mince, 8% Fat, chilled.
Sainsbury's Extra Lean British Pork Mince, chilled.

Last edited:
MONKFISH PARCELS - Serves 4. Syn Free.

2 courgettes, sliced
1 large red pepper, peeled, de-seeded and cut into strips. The pepper needs peeling otherwise the skin hardens.
2 monkfish fillets, about 125g each, skin and membrane removed. The fishmonger in store will do this for you.
6 smoked rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed.

Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Cut 4 large pieces of tin foil, each about 23cm squared. Brush with Frylight, then divide the courgettes and red pepper among them.
Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen roll.
Cut the fish in half, then put 1 piece on top of each pile of courgettes and pepper.
Cut the bacon rashers in half and lay 3 pieces across each piece of fish. Season with pepper and a little salt. Spray well with Frylight.
Close up the parcels, seal tightly and transfer them to an ovenproof dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
These are lovely with pasta and veg, new potatoes and veg................

Loving this Thread !!! :thankyou:

I'm a bit fish phobic & have been promising myself I would try something a bit more exciting (smoked haddock or tinned tuna is as far as ive got so far lol)....think this might be just the thing ;)

38. MEATBALLS WITH BEAN AND TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

Syn Free.

1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp. freshly chopped oregano
Half a teaspoon of hot paprika
400g can red kidney beans, drained
300g extra light minced beef
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
400g can of chopped tomatoes

Make the meatballs by blending half the onion, half the red pepper, the oregano, the paprika and 350g of the kidney beans in a blender or food processor for a few seconds.
Add the beef with some seasoning and blend until well mixed. Form into small balls with damp hands.
Spray a wok or frying pan with Frylight and stir-fry the meatballs until well browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
Spray the pan again and cook the remaining onion, pepper and garlic for 3-4 mins or until softened.
Add the tomatoes, seasoning and the remaining kidney beans.
Return the meatballs to the wok, stir them into the sauce, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with freshly cooked rice.

Last edited:
Loving this Thread !!! :thankyou:

I'm a bit fish phobic & have been promising myself I would try something a bit more exciting (smoked haddock or tinned tuna is as far as ive got so far lol)....think this might be just the thing ;)

Let's hope you enjoy it then. It's easy but delicious - obviously, that's only my opinion so fingers crossed! :D

OVEN-BAKED PORK BALLS WITH PEPPERS - Serves 4. Syn Free.

450g reduced fat pork mince
4 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 each - green, red and yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped into small chunks
225g cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6, 15 minutes before cooking.
Mix together the pork, basil, 1 crushed garlic clove, the 3 tomatoes and seasoning until well combined.
With damp hands, divide the mixture into 16 equal portions, then roll into balls and set aside.
Spray the base of a large roasting tin with Frylight and place the pork balls in it with the remaining garlic and peppers. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and stir in the cherry tomatoes and season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper. Bake for about a further 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, stir in the balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.

This is lovely with some tagliatelle or crusty bread, if you still have your HEX left! :)

Can I just ask if pork mince is syn free? I read another thread on here where someone said that pork mince is always synned?

Sorry, Autumn. I should've been clearer. I've just checked on-line, as I'm an on-line member and the only ones showing as Free are:

Tesco Extra Lean Pork Mince, chilled.
Tesco Finest Outdoor Bred Pork Mince, chilled.
Waitrose Essential British Pork Mince, 8% Fat, chilled.
Sainsbury's Extra Lean British Pork Mince, chilled.

Hope that helps. Just going to change the recipe details now. Thanks. :)

No need to apologise I just wanted to know, as I thought all extra lean mince was free, regardless of beef or pork, until I saw the post the other day, thanks for showing the options though, as that meal sounds great!

39. PILCHARDS AND PASTA (Sounds bizarre, I know but it's really tasty!) Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheese as a HEX.

220g wholewheat dried pasta
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
425g pilchards in tomato sauce - could use sardines
400g can of chopped tomatoes
90g frozen peas
90g mature Cheddar cheese, grated

Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions.
Meanwhile, spray a frying pan with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Add the fish, tomatoes, 4 tbsp. of water, some pepper and mixed herbs and the frozen peas.
Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the drained pasta and transfer to a heated ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with the grated cheese and brown under a warm grill.
Serve with whatever veg you fancy (we quite often have it with broccoli) and maybe some SW wedges.

Last edited:
40. PORK CHOP MELTS - Serves 4.

1 Syn per serving if using the cheese as a HEX and if only using 1 level tbsp. of apple sauce. This is correct if you use the following apple sauces:

Tesco Bramley Apple Sauce - 1 level tbsp. - 1 Syn
Tesco Finest Apple Sauce with Cider - 1 level tbsp. - 1 Syn
Duerr's Bramley Apple Sauce - 1 level tbsp. - 1 Syn

I'm sure there are more but these are definitely correct. Sorry, couldn't find one for Sainsbury's on-line.

4 pork chops, all visible fat removed
120g cheese
4-8 level tbsp. apple sauce

Preheat the grill.
Season the chops on both sides with a good sprinkling of black pepper and salt. Grill under a moderate heat for 12-16 minutes, turning once, until just cooked.
Thinly slice the cheese. 30g per serving.
Spoon one or two level tbsp. of the apple sauce onto each chop and top this with 30g cheese.
Slide back under the grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and is turning golden.

We usually have this with mash, leeks and broccoli but, obviously, it'd go with any sides. We have also had this topped with Danish Blue but it does up the Syns. Danish Blue is four and a half Syns for 25g. I personally thought it was worth it and the taste was fantastic, just for a change.

Last edited:
41. ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH CHEESE - Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a veggie main.

Syn Free per serving for the side dish for 4 people, if using the cheese as a HEX.
3 Syns per serving, between 2, if using cheese as a HEX.

1 large butternut squash, about 600-700g
1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
1 large sprig of fresh sage
1 large courgette
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
90g Red Leicester, grated or cut into small cubes. You could also use Feta cheese, of which you get 45g for a HEX. This would then be Syn Free, served between 2. I'll leave you to work out what it would be between 4, as my brain won't cope with anymore! :)

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy bits. As previously suggested on Minimins by someone else, (thanks) this is so much easier if you've previously warmed it in the microwave for about 3-4 mins. Cut the halves into smaller pieces so they can be peeled more easily. Chop the flesh into big bite-sized pieces.
Cut the onion into wedges. Spray a roasting tin with lots of Frylight and scatter the onion and bns onto the base and spray well with Frylight.

Strip the sage leaves from the stems and chop. There should be about 2 tbsps. Scatter these over the veg and season. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring and re-spraying halfway through.
Meanwhile, slice the courgettes thickly.
Remove the roasting tin from the oven and push the mixture to one side. Put the courgette slices flat on the base of the tin and spray well, before seasoning.
Roast for a further 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
Remove the tin from the oven, sprinkle the balsamic over the vegetables and mix gently.
Sprinkle the cheese over the veg and toss lightly so the cheese begins to melt.

This is really tasty and easy too.

Last edited:
42. BLACK BEAN AND SPINACH CURRY Serves 4.

Practically Syn Free.

300g dried black beans
2 red onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 tbsp. curry powder or to taste
1 tsp. vegetable stock powder or stock cube, crumbled
1 tbsp. black bean sauce - The only Syn info I could find for this on-line said 100g black bean sauce = 5 Syns, so if this recipe is shared between 4 people, 1 tbsp. between the 4 will be negligible.
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g fresh spinach

Soak the beans overnight in cold water, drain and rinse well. Place in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 mins or until soft.
Add the onions, garlic, curry powder, stock, black bean sauce and tomatoes, topping up with more water, if needed.
Simmer for 10 minutes and season.
Just before serving add the spinach and mix well.
Could top with Greek 0% yoghurt and maybe serve with rice or Syn Free noodles.

I haven't tried this so can't say much about it.

Last edited:
43. SWEET POTATO AND COURGETTE BURGERS - Serves 6.

Pratically Syn Free.

450g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
270g grated courgettes
4 spring onions, chopped
1 tbsp Jalapeno relish - 1 level tbsp = 1 Syn. Could obviously add a bit more.
100g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp freshly chopped herbs

Boil the sweet potatoes in a pan of salted water until just cooked. Shouldn't take long at all. Drain well then mash.
Season with black pepper and mix in the courgettes, onions, mushrooms and herbs. Allow to cool then shape into 6 burger shapes.
Re-heat the burgers by frying in a frying pan sprayed with Frylight for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until hot.
Could serve in toasted bread buns - 60g as a HEX - spread with some Synned mayo and garnish with rocket and jalapeno relish, taken from the Synned tbsp.

Last edited:
44. BAKED MUSHROOMS - Serves 2.

1 Syn per serving.

4 large field mushrooms or Portabello
4 BGTY sausages, skin removed
1 small red onion, finely chopped
70g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 rashers lean bacon, cut into strips

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Peel the mushrooms and place on a non-stick baking tray.
Place the sausage meat in a mixing bowl and combine with the onion and tomatoes. Spoon onto the mushrooms and top with the strips of bacon.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked through and the sausage meat crisp.
Serve hot or cold with beans, toasted bread (HEX) or salad.

Last edited:
45. PORK SALTIMBOCA (Italian) Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving.

4x thin 100g pork slices
1 lemon, cut in half
12 small fresh sage leaves
4 slices Parma ham (60g)

Remove any visible fat from the pork steaks and season with salt and black pepper.
Place 3 sage leaves on the top of each steak and wrap each with a slice of Parma ham.
Preheat a non-stick frying pan. Cook the steaks for 25 minutes, turning regularly.
Just before serving, squeeze the juice of the lemon into the pan.
Serve hot with a selection of fresh vegetables.

I have never made this so can't comment on the flavour. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
46. MAPLE CHILLI RIB EYE STEAK - Serves 2.

2 Syns per serving.

300g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chip or wedge shapes
2 rib eye steaks, fat removed
2 level tbsp maple syrup - Basic Maple Syrup and Tesco Maple Syrup are both 2 Syns per level tbsp.
1 tsp prepared chilli

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Boil the sweet potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes, then drain, dry off with kitchen roll or a clean t-towel and place on a baking tray, sprayed with Frylight. Spray the potato with the Frylight then bake for about 25 minutes.
Remove the fat from the steak and place in a dish. Mix together the maple syrup and chilli and spread it evenly over both steaks.
Preheat a non-stick frying pan until hot. Season the steak on both sides with black pepper and add to the pan.
Cook for one and a half minutes, pressing the steak into the base of the pan with a spatula. Turn over and repeat on the other side.
Turn over again and cook for 1-2 minutes , turn again and cook for another minute, longer if not cooked to your liking.
Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
47. STICKY GINGER CHICKEN - Serves 4.

2 Syns for the entire recipe.

2 red onions, sliced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into slices - easiest with kitchen scissors
1 tbsp. ginger preserve - Asda Chosen By You, Duerr's Chunky Ginger Preserve and Waitrose Ginger Preserve are all 2 Syns per level tbsp. Could add more but don't forget to Syn.
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
200g passata

Preheat a non-stick wok or frying pan until hot.
Add the onion, celery and garlic and colour lightly before adding the chicken. Turn the chicken so it is sealed on all sides.
Add the ginger, lime and vinegar and cook for one minute before adding the passata. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Check the chicken is fully cooked through and serve.

Lovely with vegetable rice or Syn Free noodles and veg.

Last edited:
SWEET POTATO AND COURGETTE BURGERS - Serves 6. Pratically Syn Free.

450g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
270g grated courgettes
4 spring onions, chopped
1 tbsp Jalapeno relish - 1 level tbsp = 1 Syn. Could obviously add a bit more.
100g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp freshly chopped herbs

Boil the sweet potatoes in a pan of salted water until just cooked. Shouldn't take long at all. Drain well then mash.
Season with black pepper and mix in the courgettes, onions, mushrooms and herbs. Allow to cool then shape into 6 burger shapes.
Re-heat the burgers by frying in a frying pan sprayed with Frylight for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until hot.
Could serve in toasted bread buns - 60g as a HEX - spread with some Synned mayo and garnish with rocket and jalapeno relish, taken from the Synned tbsp.

This sounds yummy! Will def be giving this a go.

Don't know how you find time but I'm glad you do ;)

Back