Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Just caught up with the list Kathy and spotted the Lamb with balsamic vinegar on 116. How could I not have spotted that one. Definitely on the list for next weekend. I love lamb and had it with my NZ family before they left. Bet this will taste better.

Must admit, it is delicious, Doreen! So glad you had a lovely time with your NZ family. I know it's hard to say goodbye but I bet you have some wonderful memories and photos too. x

As I've been using so many of the recipes I thought I would start sharing some pictures....so here's the pulled pork recipe (I had my HexB with a wholemeal roll and a couple of syns for some stuffing in the sandwich!

View attachment 148299

Thanks so much for sharing! :) As you've probably gathered, I'm useless with technology! That's why, the lovely, Nanny Doreen does the numbered index for me!! The pulled pork looks lovely - very well illustrated! :D

Kathy x

Last edited:
BAKED COD WITH TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving, if using sugar, instead of sweetener

4 cod fillets
800g tinned chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 tbsp. capers
2 tsp. sugar - 2 Syns (could use sweetener but I find it a bit tangy for this)
8 basil leaves, torn
300g brown rice

Rinse the rice under cold water for 1-2 minutes and set aside to drain.
Add the rice and 650ml of water to a pan, bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to the lowest heat possible.
Cook the rice for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the water has been absorbed.
Place the tomatoes, garlic, capers and sugar into an ovenproof dish or pan and cook gently, on a low to medium heat, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Carefully place the fish into the dish/pan and spoon over the tomato sauce, making sure the fish is completely submerged.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer and then place in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the fish is tender and cooked through.
Dish the cod up onto warmed plates, along with the brown rice and scatter the basil leaves over the top.
Spoon the remaining sauce over and serve immediately.

If you like, you can also add 100g black olives to the recipe (Synned or, I believe some of these can be used as a HEX - will check and edit later). After removing the pips, by squeezing the olives between your thumb and forefinger, they are added to the pan, along with the tomatoes, garlic, etc, before the cooking for 15 mins.

This recipe is from a chef called Andy Waters and is easy but tasty.

Ok, I've just checked to see if an amount of olives can be used as a HEX but couldn't find anything anywhere on-line. If someone else knows, please could you let me know? However, what I did find was that black or green olives, without stones, are 1.5 Syns for 25g.

Last edited:
CHICKEN IN CHILLI SAUCE - Serves 2

1.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if using the Knorr Flavour Pot

2 skinless chicken breasts
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 Knorr Flavour Pot, Chilli flavour - 1.5 Syns (could just add a finely chopped chilli to the onion and garlic, if you want to save on Syns but the Pot works really well and is so much less hassle!)
Balsamic vinegar
400g can chopped tomatoes

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Slash the chicken breasts across the fleshy part but don't cut all the way through.
Place on a baking tray, sprayed with a little Frylight and slashed side down. Bake for 10 minutes.
Whilst the chicken is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and gently fry the garlic and onion until the onion is soft. (As often mentioned, I sometimes start my onion off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed the process.).
Add the Flavour Pot, if using, and stir until melted, coating the onion and garlic.
Pour in the tomatoes and a good glug of balsamic vinegar. Season well.
Half fill the empty tomato tin with water, swill round and pour into the pan. Simmer gently.
Turn the chicken over, re-spray and bake for a further 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes, spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken and bake for a further 5 minutes.
Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and serve immediately.

Gorgeous with SW wedges and roast veg or with a jacket, stuffed with HEX cheese and veg or salad.

Based on a recipe by Amy Jones.

CHICKEN IN CHILLI SAUCE - Serves 2 1.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if using the Knorr Flavour Pot 2 skinless chicken breasts 1 red onion, thinly sliced 2 cloves of garlic, crushed 1 Knorr Flavour Pot, Chilli flavour - 1.5 Syns (could just add a finely chopped chilli to the onion and garlic, if you want to save on Syns but the Pot works really well and is so much less hassle!) Balsamic vinegar 400g can chopped tomatoes Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Slash the chicken breasts across the fleshy part but don't cut all the way through. Place on a baking tray, sprayed with a little Frylight and slashed side down. Bake for 10 minutes. Whilst the chicken is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and gently fry the garlic and onion until the onion is soft. (As often mentioned, I sometimes start my onion off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed the process.). Add the Flavour Pot, if using, and stir until melted, coating the onion and garlic. Pour in the tomatoes and a good glug of balsamic vinegar. Season well. Half fill the empty tomato tin with water, swill round and pour into the pan. Simmer gently. Turn the chicken over, re-spray and bake for a further 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken and bake for a further 5 minutes. Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and serve immediately. Gorgeous with SW wedges and roast veg or with a jacket, stuffed with HEX cheese and veg or salad. Based on a recipe by Amy Jones.

Having this for dinner tomorrow. Don't have stick pots but have frozen chilli so that will do.. X

CHORIZO AND RED PEPPER PASTA - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely diced
1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
140g diced chorizo - approx. 9 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
A pinch of chilli powder or a fresh, red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, added in with the crushed garlic.
Whole-wheat pasta, enough for 4 people

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and fry the onion until starting to soften.
Add the red pepper and the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
Add the chorizo to the pan and fry until it releases its oils, coating the other ingredients in the pan.
Pour in the tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add it to the ingredients in the pan.
Add some seasoning (careful with the salt - I don't usually use any) and a pinch of chilli powder, unless using fresh chilli, along with the garlic. Stir well.
Leave to simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes or, until thickened.
Whilst this is simmering, cook the pasta according to pack instructions, drain well and stir into the tomato sauce. Heat through for a few minutes and serve immediately.

Gorgeous with HEX cheese grated over.

(Original recipe by Amy Jones)

Do you use any particular chorizo? I presumed they were really high in fat but the syn values don't se too bad on your recipes. Would like to make the red pepper and chorizo pasta soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Hi Cloudy! I just use the already diced chorizo from Sainsbury's and on-line it comes up as 100g = 6.5 Syns. Must admit, I was pleasantly surprised! :)

Kathy

Salt ‘n’ pepper chips
Suitable for vegetarians
Serves: 4
Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving: FREE

Ingredients
6 large Marie Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm thick rectangular chips
½ red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
½ white onion, peeled and finely sliced
Low calorie cooking spray
Crushed sea salt and malt vinegar
Method
Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C Fan/Gas 9. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
Add the chips and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and leave aside for 10 minutes to dry.
Return the chips to the dry saucepan, cover with a lid and shake to 'rough up' the edges of the chips - this roughness is important to the texture of the chips.
Spray a metal baking tray with low calorie cooking spray. Transfer the chips to the tray, scatter over the chopped pepper and onion, spray lightly with low calorie cooking spray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides. Drain them on absorbent kitchen paper and serve with salt and vinegar.

Yum :) x

Thanks, Lola. I'll give these a try! I'm not very good making SW chips so maybe this time I'll win! :) Must admit, when I cheat, I was relieved to find out that McCain 5% oven-chips are only 1.5 Syns for 100g when they're cooked! Usually do 200g so it's a good portion - I put in about 250g frozen and then they weigh lighter when they're done. Having said that, I'm definitely going to give yours a go and then I won't be using any Syns up at all! :D

Kathy x

Thanks, Lola. I'll give these a try! I'm not very good making SW chips so maybe this time I'll win! :) Must admit, when I cheat, I was relieved to find out that McCain 5% oven-chips are only 1.5 Syns for 100g when they're cooked! Usually do 200g so it's a good portion - I put in about 250g frozen and then they weigh lighter when they're done. Having said that, I'm definitely going to give yours a go and then I won't be using any Syns up at all! :D

Kathy x

They are lovely. Tastes really naughty too! :) I never knew the Mccain chips were that low in syns, I'll have to pick some up from Asda next time I'm there :D x

I didn't use oil as find enough comes off the chorizo.. Also I used about 100gms of chorizo..

Thanks, sookie! That is so, so weird though! I have this actual recipe in my Favs and was going to add it the other day! So glad I didn't now. :D Yes, it does sound nice and it sounds easy too. x

Back