Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Thanks. I cooked it tonight and it was really lovely. Tastes really opulent like it's got loads of butter and cream in it. Thanks so much for the recipe

21. SPICY TOMATO EGGS - serves 2

Syn Free

2 red onions, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 small bunch of coriander, basil or rosemary, leaves and stalks chopped separately
800g tomatoes - you can use fresh or tinned, cherry or plum, they all work
1 tsp. sweetener
4 eggs

Frylight a frying pan that comes with a lid.
Soften the onions, chilli, garlic and stalks for about 5 mins or until soft.
Stir in the tomatoes and sweetener and bubble for 8-10 mins until thick.
Make four dips in the sauce with the back of a large spoon. Crack the eggs into the dips, cover and cook over a low heat for 6-8 minutes.
If the eggs don't look cooked enough for your liking, finish off under a moderate grill for a few mins.
Serve scattered with the leaves.

This is lovely on its own served with a HEX chunk of bread, cous cous or potato wedges but, if you want to make it more substantial, you could add some chorizo (Syn it!), bacon, peppers, etc.

I'm back to work tomorrow so won't have as much time to post recipes anymore. :( Any recipes any of you guys have, with a small amount of ingredients, please post so we can keep this going. :)

Last edited:
22. MICROWAVE RICE PUDDING

Syn Free if using the Almond Milk as your HEX A and not including the Butter Buds

3 oz short grain/pudding rice
850 ml of Alpro Almond Milk, unsweetened, out of your HEX A choice (950 ml)
1 and a half tbsp. sweetener or to taste
Butter Buds sprinkled in, if you like (half a Syn each)
Nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled over top, if you like.

Grease a large microwave proof bowl with Frylight. I use my ceramic mixing bowl because, obviously, the milk boils up the sides of the bowl.
Tip the rice into the bottom of the bowl.
Add the sweetener and stir in the milk.
Sprinkle with the Butter Buds and nutmeg/cinnamon, if using.
Cover the bowl with cling-film and pierce it a few times.
Cook on High, stirring after every 5 minutes or so.
Usually takes about 20 mins. depending on the power of your microwave and also, how thick you want it.

Makes a lovely, creamy rice pudding. :)

Last edited:
BACON AND PEA RISOTTO - Serves 4 Syn Free

1 onion, chopped
6 rashers of bacon, visible fat removed
300g risotto
100g frozen peas
700ml vegetable stock

Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the onion until starting to soften.
Add the bacon until cooked through.
Add the rice and stock.
Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
Stir in the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Season with black pepper and maybe a little salt (careful because of the bacon)
Could sprinkle with a HEX cheese.

Hiya, I couldn't find any risotto rice, only paella rice, do you think that would matter?

The two are pretty much the same and can be substituted for each other. I have done it loads!

Liz
X

Woohoo, that's the answer I wanted to hear lol, thank you!

Hiya, I couldn't find any risotto rice, only paella rice, do you think that would matter?

Hi Autumn - I've never used paella rice for it, I must admit so not sure whether it would absorb the same but, sometimes, risotto rice is called Arborio rice as well. I've bought risotto and Arborio rice from Tesco and Sainsbury's so they should have either one or both. If you can't find it just ask the sales assistant, I'm sure they'll be able to help. Sorry I've only just got back to you only I'm back at work now. :( If you do try paella rice let me know if it works out OK. I'll just edit that recipe and add Arborio to it too. :)

23. QUICK 'LATE NIGHT' CHORIZO + PEA RICE - serves 1.

Syns depend on how much chorizo used at 4.5 Syns per 50g

Half a small onion, chopped (could cheat and throw in some chopped, frozen onion - I use these loads!)
About 20g chorizo, diced
Half a mug of long grain rice
1 veggie or chicken stock cube
Half a mug of frozen peas
1 medium egg

Frylight the onion until soft in a medium pan with a lid. (or put in a covered dish in the microwave with 1 tsp. water and cook on High for 3 mins. Drain and add to the pan.)
Tip in the chorizo and sizzle until browned.
Add the rice and stir, then pour a mug of boiling water into the pan. Crumble in the stock cube and stir.
Turn the heat down until gently bubbling, put on lid and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
Stir in peas and cook for a further 5 mins with the lid on or until the liquid is practically absorbed.
Beat the egg and season. Turn the heat up under the pan, drop the egg in and stir quickly until the egg has just cooked through.
Tuck in! :D

Last edited:
Hi Autumn - I've never used paella rice for it, I must admit so not sure whether it would absorb the same but, sometimes, risotto rice is called Arborio rice as well. I've bought risotto and Arborio rice from Tesco and Sainsbury's so they should have either one or both. If you can't find it just ask the sales assistant, I'm sure they'll be able to help. Sorry I've only just got back to you only I'm back at work now. :( If you do try paella rice let me know if it works out OK. I'll just edit that recipe and add Arborio to it too. :)

Aww thanks for the response.no worries! I have it on with paella rice at the minute, it seemed to absorb quicker so I had to add more stock (though that may have been because I added mushrooms also). Thanks for the tip on the name of the rice-I wish they would just make it simple lol

24. SAUCY SAUSAGE PASTA - Serves 4

Syn Free

8 Syn Free SW sausages, cut into chunks
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. chilli powder
400g can chopped tomatoes
300g short wholewheat pasta, such as Fusilli or Farfalle

Fry the sausage chunks in Frylight in a large frying pan, until they are golden all over.
Add the onion and garlic, cooking them until softened.
Stir in the chilli powder and tomatoes. Bring it to the boil then turn the heat down and let it all bubble for about 10 mins.
Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions, then drain and rinse in a colander with boiled water.
Tip into the frying pan and mix well to coat with the sauce.
Best enjoyed with a HEX chunk of crusty bread!

Obviously, you can add peppers, mushrooms, etc to this as well, if you like.

Last edited:
25. SPICED RICE WITH PRAWNS - serves 4

Syns 0.5 per serving

150g long grain rice/wholegrain rice
150g frozen peas
1 onion, chopped
3 rashers of bacon, fat removed, chopped
1 tbsp. tikka masala curry paste (2 Syns)
250g peeled, cooked tiger prawns, thawed if frozen
1 egg, beaten

Tip the rice into a pan of boiling, salted water and simmer for 10 mins or, if using wholegrain rice, follow the time for cooking on the pack as it's usually longer, adding the peas for the last 3 mins. Drain well.
While the rice is cooking, fry the onion and bacon in Frylight for about 4 mins or until the onion starts to soften.
Stir in the curry paste and cook for a few seconds, then tip in the prawns and heat them through for a minute or so.
Push the prawn mixture to one side of the frying pan and spray the empty part of the pan with Frylight.
Pour the egg into the space and stir until cooked like scrambled eggs, then mix with the prawns. Add the rice and peas and mix well.
Serve immediately, with soy sauce sprinkled on, if you like.

I made this tonight, exactly as stated in the recipe above, which I found in an old cookery mag. Obviously, it's personal taste but we thought it needed 2 tbsp. of Tikka instead of just the one - don't forget to up the Syns if you do this. Also, we thought the amount of peas and prawns could be reduced but the amount of bacon rashers increased. We also thought it wouldn't serve 4 people, unless we're just greedy! It was tasty, don't get me wrong but I thought it would have been better with the above alterations. :) 09/06/13

Last edited:
Plplo

Moolam

Argh please feel free to delete or I will when on a comp! My little one got hold of my phone!! X

haha was just trying to work out what the code was ;)

Thanks for this thread some great ideas and i've already got most of the ingredients in the cupboard

Ah thanks, Jackie. Makes it worthwhile doing it when you see people actually like it. :)

Back