Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Thankyou so much for your lovely and encouraging comments, Doreen, C Milan, Sparty and Kate. Just got in from work and it's so nice to know you don't think the list of ingredients in some of the recipes is a little overwhelming. It is tricky sometimes to keep them to an absolute minimum now I've used up most of the very basic ones with maybe 4 or 5 things in them, so possibly some don't fit accurately with the thread title but I'm completely reassured now, thanks to all you lovely ladies so I'll just keep going! :D xx

Kathy

BALSAMIC TUNA - Serves 2

0.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 medium tuna steaks
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Half a tsp of brown sugar
A handful of basil leaves
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
Half a tsp of chilli flakes
1 clove of garlic, crushed

Marinade the tuna in the garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar for 30 minutes.
Remove the tuna from the marinade. Dab dry with kitchen roll.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight. Fry the tuna steaks for 2 minutes each side. Be careful not to overcook them or they'll be dry.
Add in the cherry tomatoes and sizzle for 2 minutes. Add the basil leaves and crushed chilli flakes.
Add in the marinade and sizzle into a thick syrupy glaze. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO CASSEROLE - Serves 4

3.5 Syns or marginally less per serving

2 red onions, finely sliced
200g chorizo, diced - 13 Syns
200g skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 litre of chicken stock
Half a Savoy cabbage, shredded
800g canned chickpeas, drained
Juice of one lemon or Jif lemon will do

Spray a large pan with Frylight and add the chicken, onions and chorizo. Cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft, the chorizo has released its oil and the chicken is cooked through.
Season well with pepper.
Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the cabbage and chickpeas and simmer well for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice over.

Just wanted to say thankyou for the recipes, they all look great. I haven't made any of them yet but definitely will.

This is my favourite thread, I love your recipes, they help me so much, I also wouldn't be worried about the ingredients, I think to a newbie it might be daunting but like others have said, after doing slimming world for a whole a lot of the ingredients are basics that people generally have. One thing I love about this thread is that I've noticed a good few recipes using similar ingredients but the end result tastes totally different, it's great to get such variety from similar ingredients.this thread has really built my cooking confidence and I come here when I'm doing my meal plan, it's so handy. Like another poster said I wish I could contribute, but I have no recipes as yet.

You are doing a great job with the thread and are such a lovely lady, keep it up :)

Thanks so much, Autumn. That's so kind of you and, as I've said before, I'm so glad your confidence in cooking is growing. :)

ANDALUSIAN CHORIZO AND BEANS - Serves 4

4.5 Syns per serving

200g diced chorizo
1 onion, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
150ml dry white wine - 5 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can cannellini beans or chickpeas

Fry the chorizo in a large frying pan, until it releases its oil. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook until softened.
Stir in the wine and tomatoes and season well with black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Add a little salt if you think necessary but be careful because of the saltiness of the chorizo.
Add the beans or chickpeas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

Could add some chicken too if liked. A few more Syns than I normally try to do but I think it's worth it! :)

SWEET AND SOUR SALMON - Serves 2

1 Syn per serving

2 tsp of runny honey - 2 Syns
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
2 salmon fillets

Mix the honey, lime juice and soy sauce in a shallow bowl and add the salmon fillets. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes but for longer if possible.
Heat a frying pan until hot and place the fillets skin side down first to crisp up for 5 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Good served with a stir-fry with loads of healthy veg or lovely served with new potatoes and veg.

SWEET AND SOUR SALMON - Serves 2

1 Syn per serving

2 tsp of runny honey - 2 Syns
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
2 salmon fillets

Mix the honey, lime juice and soy sauce in a shallow bowl and add the salmon fillets. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes but for longer if possible.
Heat a frying pan until hot and place the fillets skin side down first to crisp up for 5 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Good served with a stir-fry with loads of healthy veg or lovely served with new potatoes and veg.

This sounds lush thanks chocko. Will try it next time I get some salmon :) x

SEARED SALMON AND GREEK YOGHURT - Serves 2-4 (depends on how greedy you're feeling!)

Syn Free

475ml Fat Free Greek yoghurt
2 large shallots, finely chopped
4 tbsp. thinly chopped mint leaves, plus some to garnish
2 large tomatoes, diced into small pieces
675g skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1cm slices across the length of the fillets

In a medium bowl, combine the yoghurt, shallots, mint and tomatoes. Stir to blend and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat a pan, sprayed with Frylight, over a medium heat. Add the salmon, season with a little salt and pepper. Saute the salmon, turning once, for about 2 minutes until just cooked through.
Spoon the yoghurt on top of the salmon, garnish with the reserved mint leaves and serve immediately.

This is so nice served on top of a slice of HEX crusty bread, topped with iceberg lettuce and then the salmon on top.

ROASTED CHICKEN AND CHORIZO - Serves 4

3.5 Syns per serving

4-8 skinless chicken breasts, depending how hungry you are
200g chorizo, diced - 13 Syns
250g cherry tomatoes
8 sprigs of oregano
1 lemon, cut into wedges
12 garlic cloves, skin on

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
Add the chicken, chorizo, tomatoes, oregano, lemon and salt and pepper. Careful with the salt!
Spray liberally with Frylight and stir to combine.
Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the chorizo is crisp.
Discard the lemon wedges before serving.
If you like your food very garlicky, holding the cloves of garlic with a tea towel, squeeze the inside of the garlic out. If not, just discard the cloves of garlic.
Lovely served with lots of fresh veg and baked or roast (FL) potatoes.

also loving them too. keep up the great recipes.:)

Mad Mushy Pea Curry Sauce

This is a curry sauce that's been doing the rounds for a while, sounds like it should be disgusting but it's yum, give it a go.

Ingredients

1 tin Mushy Peas
1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Onion
Curry Powder to taste

Preparation

Empty the cans of mushy peas and chopped tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth.

Peel and chop the onion, take a frying pan and spray with fry light, fry the onion until tender. Add the blended pea and tomato mixture to the frying pan and add curry powder (the type and amount of powder depends on how hot/spicy you like your curry, e.g medium, madras, vindaloo).

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 - 30 mins, add a little water if required so that it doesn't thicken too much. Some have suggested adding a little sweetener at the end to give it a chip shop curry taste.

Serve with SW chips or rice. Alternatively you can add chicken or quorn, don't forget to check the sin values depending on whether your on a Green or Red Day.

Just subscribed to this thread! Thanks for the life saving recipes :)

You're right, it sounds awful but it is yummy!
Although it does produce some " side effects!"

I add a tin of beans to mine as well!

another version is

Mushy Pea Curry

3 cans of mushy peas
1 can of baked beans
onions and mushrooms (as many as you like)
1 tablespoon of sweetener
curry powder to taste
fry light

brown off the onions and mushrooms in some fry light, then add all the rest of the ingredients and leave on the heat for approx 20-30 mins. If you find the mixture to thick just add some water.

I have often blended it to make a smooth sauce, great with chips.

Back