Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Just been and got this one and threw the Cajun one in as well. I've seen syn free Cajun wedges somewhere and I reckon they would be lovely with the tzatzilki dip that someone posted last week.

Yes, good idea and the tzatziki dip is really easy and delicious too! My daughter can't eat enough of it and she's a real tzatziki fan! Glad you enjoyed the Sticky Chicken too - we love it. :)

Kathy

SPICY FISH WITH CHORIZO AND BEANS - Serves 4

1.5 - 2 Syns for the whole recipe ( Chorizo is 6.5 per 100g. )

1 onion, finely chopped
25g chorizo - 1.5 - 2 Syns
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
700g chopped tomatoes or passata
400g red kidney beans
1 tbsp. Cajun spice or similar (adjust quantity to taste)
4 white fish fillets

Spray a large pan with Frylight and soften the onion for 5 minutes or more, stirring round occasionally.
Add the chorizo and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until the chorizo is crisp.
Add the tomatoes, beans and spice and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the fish and cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes, until fish flakes easily.

If there is too much liquid left, boil rapidly until reduced.

Last edited:
SPICY FISH WITH CHORIZO AND BEANS - Serves 4

1.5 - 2 Syns per serving ( Chorizo is 6.5 per 100g. )

1 onion, finely chopped
25g chorizo
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
700g chopped tomatoes or passata
400g red kidney beans
1 tbsp. Cajun spice or similar (adjust quantity to taste)
4 white fish fillets

Spray a large pan with Frylight and soften the onion for 5 minutes or more, stirring round occasionally.
Add the chorizo and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until the chorizo is crisp.
Add the tomatoes, beans and spice and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the fish, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until fish flakes easily.

I was looking for a new chorizo recipe the other day coz I love it, thanks as always kathy this sounds yummy :) x

CORNED BEEF HASH - Serves 4

2 - 2.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as part of your HEX. (The Syn value varies slightly depending on which corned beef you use. Also, this wouldn't divide exactly equally so could Syn up another 0.5, if preferred.)

4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped - King Edward's are good for this recipe
400g tin of baked beans
1x340g lean corned beef, chopped into pieces - 2.5 Syns per 100g or 3 Syns per 100g for ordinary corned beef
1 onion, finely chopped
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
75g grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until tender. Mash with a little milk and add salt to season.
Meanwhile, fry the onion in Frylight until beginning to brown.
Pour the baked beans into a 1.5 litre casserole dish. Place the corned beef on top of the beans in an even layer.
Top with the onions and then the mash.
Bake, uncovered for 25 minutes. The mash should start to crisp a little. Sprinkle the cheese over and return to the oven. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is browned.

This is really easy but very tasty too. I sometimes add a pinch of chilli flakes too.

PENNE WITH TOMATOES, CANNELLINI BEANS AND FETA

Serves 4

3 Syns per serving, if using Light Feta at 2 Syns per 25g. Full Fat Feta is 3.5 Syns per 25g. Could also use the Feta as part of your HEX, making the recipe Syn Free.

800g chopped tomatoes
400g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
300g fresh spinach, chopped
250g light Feta cheese, crumbled
1 clove of garlic
1 onion, finely chopped

Spray a pan with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until the onion softens.
Combine the tomatoes and beans in a large frying pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions, until al dente.
Add the spinach to the tomato mixture and cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach starts to wilt, stirring constantly.
Stir in the onion and garlic with some seasoning to taste.
Serve the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with Feta.

This is a simple, light, summery lunch which is easy to make, yet delicious.
I sometimes add a pinch of Italian herbs and some peppers to the onion and garlic.

Last edited:
SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

1 medium onion, sliced
500g skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into sticks
225g pineapple chunks in natural juice - Morrison's and Co-Op are 2.5 Syns per 100g, Tesco and Sainsbury's are 3 Syns per 100g. I've based this recipe on the higher Syn values.
2 level tbsp. of tomato puree
3 tbsp. of vinegar - any kind
1 tbsp. Muscovado sugar - 3 Syns
2 tbsp. dark Soy sauce

Spray a frying pan with Frylight, add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes over a medium heat, until softened.
Add the chicken to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until golden on all sides.
Add the carrots, pineapple and juice, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked through.
Serve immediately, maybe with rice.

Could use mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, etc., instead of the carrots.
I haven't made this WW recipe so can't say if it's as good as Pete's recipe, using fizzy orange.

CHINESE STICKY PORK - Serves 4

Roughly 0.5 Syns per serving

4 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
1 tsp ground ginger
Half a tsp of crushed chillies
Half a tsp of ground cinnamon
Zest and juice of 1 orange
450g pork fillet - all visible fat removed

Tip all the marinade ingredients into a shallow dish and stir to combine. Coat the pork in the marinade, cover and leave to marinate for, at least, 30 minutes, or for best results, overnight in the fridge.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Heat a non-stick (or spray with Frylight) oven-proof dish over a high heat and sear the pork on all sides. Pour over the remaining marinade and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Baste the pork several times during cooking.
Good served with rice and lots of fresh, crunchy veg.

SPICY COURGETTE AND CHICKEN TAGLIATELLE - Serves 4

Roughly 1.5 Syns per serving

Zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp. Shwartz Perfect Shake Spicy Italian Herb + Spice Blend
2 large skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
100g chorizo - 6.5 Syns
2 courgettes, grated and excess water squeezed out
325g tagliatelle, cooked and drained

Blend the lemon juice with 1 tbsp. of the Perfect Blend. Spray the chicken liberally with Frylight and add to the marinade for 30 minutes or, for best results, overnight.
Spray a frying pan with Frylight and heat over a high heat. Add the chicken and marinade. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion and chorizo and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the courgettes, lemon zest and remaining Perfect Shake Blend. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Add the cooked tagliatelle and toss gently to combine all the flavours.

This is delicious with a HEX sprinkling of grated Cheddar or grated Parmesan over the top.

MEXICAN CHILLI CHICKEN - Serves 4

Syn Free

450g skinless chicken breasts, sliced
1 onion, chopped
One and a half tbsp. Schwartz Perfect Shake Fajita Herb + Spice Blend
1 green pepper, diced
400g chopped tomatoes
400g kidney beans, drained
1 tbs tomato puree

Spray a deep frying pan with Frylight and heat to medium/high. Add the chicken and onion and cook for 10 minutes or until browned.
Sprinkle in the Fajita + Herb seasoning and cook for a further 30 seconds.
Add the pepper, tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato puree and 150ml water.
Bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Also nice with a little coriander sprinkled in.

STICKY CHICKEN - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

3 tbsp. of runny honey
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. soy sauce
680g skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes

Mix together the honey, vinegar and soy sauce. Toss the chicken cubes in the mix to coat thoroughly and leave to stand for, at least, 30 minutes in the fridge.
Heat a frying pan, add the chicken cubes and marinade. Cook on high heat for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid has absorbed into the chicken. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, serve immediately, maybe on a bed of crispy salad or with rice.

Can also be used as a BBQ marinade.

Forgot about this one! It's so easy but totally scrumptious!!

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS! So, so good! We had it with brown rice & a side salad. I sprinkled some sesame seeds over the chicken too! Hubby asked if I will make it again! Thanks Kathy, great recipe! :D

TZATZIKI DRESSING

Syn Free

6oz of natural Fat Free Greek yoghurt
1 clove of garlic
1 cupful of finely grated, peeled cucumber
Half a tsp of finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
Half a tsp of fresh or freeze-dried chopped dill

Simply mix all the above ingredients together, grating the garlic into the bowl and squeezing as much of the cucumber juices into the bowl, after grating it as you can. Also add the squeezed out grated cucumber too. Stir a pinch of salt through.
Keep in the fridge and serve chilled with salmon, chicken or as a salad dressing or dip.

I made this over the weekend to have with grilled chicken & veggies...AMAZING! Hubs didn't even know it was home made! Ha! Going to have it again tomorrow! Cheers Kathy, this is one of my new faves! ;)

...just wanted to add that I added a bit more garlic to it because we are garlic freaks!

Last edited:
Anyone know any good curry sauce recipes? I heard one in group the other day and it had baked beans and peas?lol can't remember it now!
Xxx

*Shine Bright Like A Diamond*

Anyone know any good curry sauce recipes? I heard one in group the other day and it had baked beans and peas?lol can't remember it now!
Xxx

*Shine Bright Like A Diamond*

Could it be the Mushy Pea Curry? If you look back a couple of pages in this thread you'll find it. I think someone mentioned that there are 2 versions including one with beans in too! Sorry I don't have the recipes but they are here...or just do a search for them! Hope it helps!

BASIC CURRY SAUCE - Makes enough for two main course curries and freezes well for about four weeks.

Syn Free

1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
1.5 inch piece of root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced
Half a teaspoon each of turmeric, cumin seed and coriander seed
5 tbsp. of passata or 1 tbsp. of concentrated tomato puree mixed with 4 tbsp. water

Spray a pan well with Frylight. Add the onion and stir for a few minutes over a high heat.
Add the ginger and garlic. Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing browns or burns.
Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrible. Sprinkle in a few drops of water if it looks like it will stick.
Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. Add the passata or puree and stir.
Put the blended mixture back into the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes (the longer the better) over a very low heat, stirring occasionally. You can add a little hot water if it starts to catch but the idea is to gently 'fry' the sauce, which will darken in colour to an orangey brown.
The final texture should be something like a good tomato ketchup.

Warning - it will 'gloop' occasionally and splatter the top of your hob but, that's the price you pay for a curry sauce that you will hopefully love!! :D

Could add 2 mild, fleshy green chillies, deseeded and chopped, at the point where you add the ginger and garlic, if you prefer it spicier.

JAMBALAYA - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 large stick of celery, sliced
125g chorizo, sliced - 8 Syns
4 tsp Schwartz Perfect Shake Cajun Herb + Spice Blend
500g cooked long grain rice
125g cooked prawns, defrosted if frozen
3 tomatoes, skinned and diced
4 Spring Onions, sliced

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and fry the chicken, celery and chorizo until browned and cooked through.
Add the Perfect Shake seasoning and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the spring onions, and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously until heated through.
Stir in the spring onions and heat through for a further 1-2 minutes.

ANDALUSIAN CHORIZO AND BEANS - Serves 4

4.5 Syns per serving

200g diced chorizo
1 onion, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
150ml dry white wine - 5 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can cannellini beans or chickpeas

Fry the chorizo in a large frying pan, until it releases its oil. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook until softened.
Stir in the wine and tomatoes and season well with black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Add a little salt if you think necessary but be careful because of the saltiness of the chorizo.
Add the beans or chickpeas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

Could add some chicken too if liked. A few more Syns than I normally try to do but I think it's worth it! :)

had this last night, with added chicken, and without the celery-it was so yummy!!! i felt like i was eating something really naughty-i love slimming world meals like that! only problem was, i left the recipe out for other half to make, and he split it between us two and left a bit for my lunch next day-he thought that whole recipe was for 2 people lol-so i had to up the syns a bit :( but it was well worth it!

Glad you liked it, Autumn. I always leave the celery out too. Suppose even between just two people the Syns aren't high so the mistake wasn't too fatal!! At least your OH cooks for you - I'll have to have a word with mine! :(

Kathy

CHICKEN IN SWEET CHILLI SAUCE - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

450g skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, sliced
175g sugar snap peas
2 tsp chilli cooking paste - 0.5 Syns - or to taste, adjusting Syn value, as appropriate
2 level teaspoons of cornflour - 2 Syns
300ml chicken stock
2 tbsp. tomato puree
2 tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight, heat and fry the chicken pieces for 5-6 minutes until browned.
Add the pepper, sugar snap peas and chilli paste and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Blend the cornflour with a drop of stock and add to the pan, stirring continuously.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened, adding a little more cornflour if necessary. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Good with sliced spring onions on top and served with a SW egg fried rice.

ROASTED RED PEPPER PATE

Practically Syn Free as the only Syns are in the Philadelphia (or equivalent) and, as it's only using 1 tbsp. and it's 1 Syn per 25g, it's negligible.

2 red peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped into large pieces
1 tsp granulated sweetener
Half a red onion, roughly chopped
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. Lightest Philadelphia - suppose you could use Quark which is totally Syn Free
Small handful of fresh basil leaves, torn

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Put the peppers and onion into a Frylighted roasting tin, spreading them out so they have plenty of room. Spray liberally with Frylight and sprinkle with the sweetener, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
Mix it all through and roast for 40-45 minutes or until the peppers are soft and beginning to char very slightly.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, then tip into a food processor with the chilli flakes, garlic and Philadelphia. Whizz together until smooth.
Add the basil leaves and whizz briefly until it is flecked. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

As well as using as a pate, it is good stirred through pasta. I always double up the quantities for this though.

Kathy, how long did this keep when you made it?! Sounds yummy!! I think I might toast a hexb to have with it over the weekend :)

Back