Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

JAMBALAYA - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 large stick of celery, sliced
125g chorizo, sliced - 8 Syns
4 tsp Schwartz Perfect Shake Cajun Herb + Spice Blend
500g cooked long grain rice
125g cooked prawns, defrosted if frozen
3 tomatoes, skinned and diced
4 Spring Onions, sliced

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and fry the chicken, celery and chorizo until browned and cooked through.
Add the Perfect Shake seasoning and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the spring onions, and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously until heated through.
Stir in the spring onions and heat through for a further 1-2 minutes.

I love, love, love jambalaya. Can't wait to try this. Do you think using turkey would make a massive difference? I have some in the fridge to be used :)

I wouldn't think it'd make much, if any, difference at all, wonderfish. Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to make it. x

Kathy

Kathy, how long did this keep when you made it?! Sounds yummy!! I think I might toast a hexb to have with it over the weekend :)

I made double the amount of this, Sparty, cos we all love pate, and we still managed to eat it all over one weekend (there are 4 of us so it wasn't as bad as it sounds, honest!) so I can't really say beyond two days, I'm afraid. x

Kathy

KIDNEY BEANS AND RICE - Serves 6

Syn Free

1 onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
200g brown basmati rice, uncooked
1 level tsp cumin, or other spice, if you don't like cumin
1 diced chilli of your choice

Spray a large pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Cook the onion, peppers, garlic, cumin and chilli until softening.
Season with salt and add the tomato puree, cooking for a further two minutes.
Stir in the beans and rice.
Pour a pint of boiling water or vegetable stock into the pan. Cover and cook on a low heat for about 60 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and the liquid absorbed. Add more liquid if necessary.

Sometimes I throw in grated carrots, sliced mushrooms, chorizo - whatever I have in really. This is extra tasty the following day when the ingredients have had time to intensify and is also good as a tortilla filling, if you have enough Syns for a tortilla.

MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

150g chorizo, roughly diced - 9.5/10 Syns
1 onion, sliced
4 skinless chicken breasts, roughly diced
1 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml hot chicken stock
400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
Leaves from a few sprigs of rosemary

Heat a large, deep frying pan over a high heat. Add the chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned and the oil has begun to run. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion and chicken to the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the tomato puree and cook for one minute.
Add the tomato, rosemary and stock, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Stir in the butter beans and cooked chorizo. Simmer for a further 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced a little. Season to taste.

Good served with wholewheat pasta. Also, if liked, some pitted black olives are a tasty addition when added along with the butter beans and cooked chorizo.

SPAIN ON A PLATE - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

Half a red onion, finely diced
75g chorizo, diced - 5 Syns
1 large potato, diced quite small
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
8 black olives, pitted and sliced - 1 Syn
200g can chopped tomatoes
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Spray a large, ovenproof pan with Frylight. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes or until soft.
Stir in the chorizo and potato and cook until the oil runs from the chorizo.
Stir in the red pepper, olives and tomatoes and bring to a simmer, adding a splash of water.
Transfer to the oven for 20 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
Remove from the oven and make two wells in the mixture. Carefully crack the eggs into the wells and return to the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the eggs have set.

If you don't like olives you could fill the wells with some cubes of Feta cheese, maybe. Don't forget to Syn accordingly or use as a HEX.

SPANISH CHICKEN AND CHORIZO BAKE - Serves 4

Roughly 1.5 Syns per serving, if using cheese as part of a HEX

4 good sized skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp. paprika
1 medium courgette, chopped
1 small yellow pepper, chopped
6-8 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g chorizo, sliced - 6.5 Syns
400g tin chopped tomatoes
45g Pecorino cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.

Put the chicken breasts into a large casserole dish and sprinkle with the paprika.
Add the chopped vegetables and chorizo and pour the tomatoes over. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with a green salad and a HEX chunk of crusty bread or, also good with rice or pasta.
I sometimes add a couple of crushed garlic cloves too and have occasionally bulked it out with a can of chickpeas or cannellini beans. If you want to make it lower in Syns you could also substitute chopped bacon for the chorizo.

I'm off on my hols now for a week so will try to add a few more when I get back. x

Kathy

Last edited:
SPANISH CHICKEN AND CHORIZO BAKE - Serves 4

Roughly 1.5 Syns per serving, if using cheese as part of a HEX

4 good sized skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp. paprika
1 medium courgette, chopped
1 small yellow pepper, chopped
6-8 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g chorizo, sliced
400g tin chopped tomatoes
45g Pecorino cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.

Put the chicken breasts into a large casserole dish and sprinkle with the paprika.
Add the chopped vegetables and chorizo and pour the tomatoes over. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with a green salad and a HEX chunk of crusty bread or, also good with rice or pasta.
I sometimes add a couple of crushed garlic cloves too and have occasionally bulked it out with a can of chickpeas or cannellini beans. If you want to make it lower in Syns you could also substitute chopped bacon for the chorizo.

I'm off on my hols now for a week so will try to add a few more when I get back. x

Kathy

Wow this sounds lovely, will deffo make this. so simple and easy to make too.

Hope you have a great holiday.

I'm going to make the sticky chicken tomorrow with some SW egg fried rice! Really looking forward to it (might even marinade over night to give more flavour!!)

Last edited:
Hello :)

I've found this thread really useful so thought I'd add my own recipe too!

Potato Salad (Free on Green)

New potatoes
1/2 tub of quark
1 tsp chives
Pinch of sweetner
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Chop the new potatoes in half and boil until soft. Remove from the heat and drain. Whilst the potatoes are cooling mix the quark, chives, lemon juice and sweetner in a bowl. Once cooled, add the potatoes to the quark mix. Amount of chives / lemon juice should be adjusted to taste.

I love having this at a BBQ or with a salad for dinner! :)

What about soup. This one I got off another thread. It is lovely

Potato & Sweetcorn Soup.

Large potato peeled and cut up.
1 onion sliced fairly small.
Large tin sweetcorn ------ cheapest will do
1.1/2pts stock. I use 3 chicken oxo cubes.

Bring to the boil then simmer till potato cooked.
Blitz.

I do add a little salt & pepper but then season properly when cooked.
If you like a thicker soup, simmer for longer.

THIS IS ALSO LOVELY WITH SOME CURRY POWDER ADDED TO A PORTION

just an update cause I like to how much to use.
Have made some more today with 400g spud already peeled. Had to use two small tins because I didn`t have a big one. As they were Green Giant the sweetcorn taste is a little stronger. I think this makes just the right thickness and 4 good portions.

Last edited:
What about soup. This one I got off another thread. It is ovely

Potato & Sweetcorn Soup.

Large potato peeled and cut up.
1 onion sliced fairly small.
Large tin sweetcorn ------ cheapest will do
1.1/2pts stock. I use 3 chicken oxo cubes.

Bring to the boil then simmer till potato cooked.
Blitz.

I do add a little salt & pepper but then season properly when cooked.
If you like a thicker soup, simmer for longer.

sounds lovely will give it go.

anyone have a good chicken fajita receipe? i have a dinner party on friday night and the girls want fajitas lol. how can i do them the SW way? xxxx

There is a lovely Schwartz fajita seasoning, it's hotter and nicer than the syn-ful Olde El Paso one. Looking at the Schwartz pack, I doubt it's got any syns as it is all spices and a bit of salt, but worth checking online.

Fish Cakes

Serve with steamed veggies, or a tossed salad.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4

I round it up to say they are 1/2 syn per fishcake

• 2 tins of tuna
  • 1 onion diced finely or you can use spring onions.
  • 1 large sweet potato.
  • 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (synned 1.5 per tablespoon)
  • Breadcrumbs (enough to be able to shape the fish into cakes) can use a hex b
Method:

1. Put sweet potato in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender. Mash well. Drain tuna well and add to mashed sweet potato.
  2. Add in the chopped onion and sweet chili sauce. Mix together well.
  3. Add enough breadcrumbs to make patties. Season with salt and pepper. Mold the mixture into patties.
  4. Heat some frylight in frying pan and cook the fish cakes for 5 -7 minutes, turning only once, until hot and golden.

anyone have a good chicken fajita receipe? i have a dinner party on friday night and the girls want fajitas lol. how can i do them the SW way? xxxx

There's a Fajita recipe on page 11 of this thread. Don't know if that'll be suitable but have a lovely evening anyway. x

Kathy

thought i'd add this seeing as i made it for dinner tonight.
think it's on the sw website using beef....

chilli chicken noodles:

1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp (or 1/4 depending on how hot you want it) crushed chilli flakes
chicken breast

mix the soy sauce and chilli together, add diced chicken and leave in the fridge for a bit before cooking
cook egg noodles as packet instruction, prepare any superfree you want (i used peppers, onion, carrot)

cook you chicken, throw in your veg and add your noodles and serve...

easy peasy and very minimal ingredients needed ;) x

Back