Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

CHILLI CHICKEN PASTA WITH RED PESTO SAUCE - Serves 4 (A variation on a recipe by Paul Ainsworth)

4.5 Syns per serving but well worth it when you have Syns to spare!! :)

400g dried whole-wheat pasta
1 large red onion, finely sliced
4 spring onions, finely sliced
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
4 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 6 Syns
6 tbsp. BGTY crème fraiche - 3 Syns
2 level tbsp. red pesto - 5 Syns
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
80 ml vegetable stock
2 tomatoes, finely chopped

Spray a pan well with Frylight and brown the chicken strips until nicely browned on one side. Season the chicken with salt and pepper as it cooks.
Turn the chicken over, re-spray and add the onions and garlic and cook until the chicken and onions are browned all over.
Add the vegetable stock and simmer, uncovered, until the stock reduces to the consistency of a sauce.
Now, cook the pasta for about 8 minutes, until al dente.
Add the red pesto, sweet chilli and crème fraiche to the sauce and leave to simmer gently.
Strain the pasta and rinse with boiling water. Add to the sauce and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on warmed plates, topped with the chopped tomatoes.

I'd just like to say, before continuing, how grateful I am to NannyDoreen, who still continues to add my recipes to her orderly, numbered index, making life easier for everyone, myself included. Thanks, Doreen. You're a star! :)

Kathy xxx

I must be a bit dense but i've looked at page 55 & all around that for the index & can't find it - any ideas?

Many thanks

Angela

You had me worried there, Angela!! Yes, I've just clicked on page 55 of this thread and it's still definitely there. Hope you can find it at your end! :)

Kathy

You had me worried there, Angela!! Yes, I've just clicked on page 55 of this thread and it's still definitely there. Hope you can find it at your end! :)

Kathy

Still can't find it there on my laptop or phone - how strange! What is the date of the post - I could find it that way?
Thank you x

Hi Angela. Sorry you're having such trouble finding it. Doreen started the numbered index on 25/10/13 and it's definitely on page 55 of this thread cos I've just found it again. How weird! Maybe if anyone else is having trouble and they see these posts, they can come to your rescue! Good luck!

Kathy

Fantastic thread, thank you so much!

Hope you don't mind me butting in, I thought I'd find the index as it's not page 55 on my phone. Thank you very much for giving the date though! It's on page 82 for me.

ONE POT CHICKEN - Serves 8 but could obviously be halved.

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

8 skinless chicken thighs or breasts
200g diced chorizo - 13 Syns
800g of sweet potato, cut into chunks
1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
200ml chicken stock
1 lemon, halved
2 courgettes, sliced quite thickly
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
240g baby spinach
2 tbsp. chopped parsley

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the chicken into a large, sprayed roasting tin, along with the sweet potatoes.
Lightly crush the cloves of garlic (works with the back of a wooden spoon) but leave the skin on and place amongst the chicken pieces.
Spray the ingredients with Frylight, pour over the hot stock and season to taste.
Squeeze the lemon juice into the roasting tin and add the squeezed out halves to the tin.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, adding the chorizo, courgettes and chilli 30 minutes into the cooking time.
Once the chicken is cooked through and the veg is tender, remove from the oven and rest for a moment.
Mix the spinach and parsley leaves through the hot chicken mix and serve immediately.

Hi Angela. Sorry you're having such trouble finding it. Doreen started the numbered index on 25/10/13 and it's definitely on page 55 of this thread cos I've just found it again. How weird! Maybe if anyone else is having trouble and they see these posts, they can come to your rescue! Good luck!

Kathy

Found it! Page 23 for me, post 811. Thank you for that info - I wonder why its different for some of us? Bit too technical for me x

And me, without a doubt!! Weird! :S Glad you've found it anyway. Maybe I should put a note on occasionally, stating the date and hope that works for others too, as it did for yourself and Happycamper above! :)

Kathy

Fantastic thread, thank you so much!

Hope you don't mind me butting in, I thought I'd find the index as it's not page 55 on my phone. Thank you very much for giving the date though! It's on page 82 for me.

I'm very glad you did butt in, happycamper. It's much too complicated for me, all this technology!! :D Glad you found it anyway and thanks for your kind comment. It's lovely to know the recipes are appreciated. :)

Kathy

CUMIN PORK AND KIDNEY BEANS FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 6

Syn Free

400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
300g extra lean boneless pork shoulder, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. ground cumin
Half a teaspoon of turmeric
250ml hot vegetable stock

Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight and quickly brown the pork, if you like, although I never bother with browning.
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and season to taste.
Cook for 3-4 hours on High or 6-7 hours on Low.
If the sauce is still too runny for your liking either remove the lid for the last 45 minutes of cooking or, I find it more effective to transfer it all to a large pan and simmer rapidly until the desired thickness is reached. This way also keeps the food warmer.

This is good with rice and maybe a dollop of half fat sour cream (1 tbsp. = 1 Syn. Also good with some finely chopped chillies sprinkled over.

Last edited:
I'm very glad you did butt in, happycamper. It's much too complicated for me, all this technology!! :D Glad you found it anyway and thanks for your kind comment. It's lovely to know the recipes are appreciated. :)

Kathy

It was purely self motivated, I assure you! Great to find the index. When you start SW there's so many recipes it can be quite overwhelming. I also found that there were so many ingredients I didn't have, my shopping bill was sky high initially! Finding this thread made it easier while I found my feet. The pea and bacon risotto was a life saver! x

Here's one their raving about in my group.I have'nt made them yet.15 syn's for the whole block but if you cut them into 8 slices 2 syn's each.
Slimming London SW brownies

180g no fat natural yogurt
40g cocoa (7 syns)
40g oats
60ml almond milk (0.5 syns)
20 - 30g canderel/splenda
1 semi heaped tsp baking powder (0.5 syns)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 small pinch of salt

Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
Line a 6 x 6" tin with baking paper.
Blend all ingredients in a blender.Pour into tin.
Place in the centre of the oven.
Cook for about 15 - 20 mins till slightly squidgey.
Leave to cool in tin for 10 mins then on a baking tray to cool properly.
When cool remove paper.
Whole brownie block is 15 syns.
Cut into slices.

CHICKEN TACO SOUP FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4-6

Syns - negligible

125g skinless chicken breast
400g can sweet-corn, drained
400g can black beans, drained
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1.25 litres of hot chicken stock
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
4 tsp. Old El Paso Taco spice mix - I can't estimate this but as 35g of the mix is only 5 Syns, 4 tsp. will have extremely low Syns.

Season the chicken breast and place on the base of the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and cook for 2 hours on High and 3 hours on Low.
Ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and tender.
Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir through the soup. Season to taste.
If the soup needs thickening, either remove the lid for the final 45 minutes of cooking or, transfer the soup to a large pan and simmer rapidly until the consistency is as you like. The latter method is quick and holds the heat more effectively.

Lovely served in warmed bowls with a HEX chunk of crusty bread.

TOMATO AND GARLIC MUSHROOMS FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
450g chestnut mushrooms
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 stick of celery
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato puree
3 tbsp. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Half tsp. crushed chilli flakes
1 onion, chopped

Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, except the parsley. Season.
Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 5-6 hours.

I have it on good authority that this is supposed to be lovely served with spaghetti and salad for a meal or, on HEX bread/toast as a snack! :)

GARLIC AND CORIANDER PRAWNS IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

500g raw king prawns
200g frozen peas
2 onions, sliced or chopped
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp. ground ginger
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 level tbsp. curry paste - 6 Syns (I've based the Syns on the higher side. Some curry pastes are as low as 0.5 per tbsp. but others are 2 Syns.)
2 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander
250ml passata

Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, season, mix together and cook on Low for 2 hours or until the prawns are cooked through and the peas are tender.
Serve on warmed plates with rice.
If preferred, you can substitute some of the passata with the same amount of light coconut milk.

STUFFED JACKET POTATOES - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

4 large baking potatoes
1 large onion, very finely chopped or sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 rashers of lean bacon, all visible fat removed
Half a small can of sweet-corn
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
120g mature Cheddar - 4 x HEX's
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns Can use Frylight but I find it makes the bacon watery.

Cook the potatoes either in the oven or the microwave.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon until crisp. When cooled a little, cut into small pieces with some kitchen scissors.
Add the onion, garlic and pepper to the pan and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes or until just starting to change colour.
Add to the bacon pieces and set aside.
Let the potatoes cool slightly, then cut them in half lengthways. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl but be careful not to rip the skins.
Mash the potato, then mix in the bacon/onion mixture and the sweet-corn, after adding a little salt and black pepper.
Top the potatoes with the grated cheese and put back in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the filling, piping hot.

LAMB CASSEROLE - Serves 4

Syn Free

400g diced lean lamb
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 large parsnip, cut into chunks
4 large potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 litre of lamb stock
1 tbsp. tomato puree
100g pearl barley

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and cook the lamb over a medium heat until browned.
Add the carrots, onion and parsnip to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato puree and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the stock and pearl barley to the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 25 minutes.
Add the potatoes, bring back to the boil and cook gently until the lamb and veg are tender and the sauce has thickened.

Back