Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Hi Lizzie. There are 2 versions for Mushy Pea Curry on page 26 of this thread, both posted by dirtydancing. Hope that helps!

Kathy

CHICKEN, MUSHROOM AND CHORIZO RISOTTO - Serves 2

1.5 Syns per serving

6 cherry tomatoes, halved
8 button mushrooms, sliced
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 pre-cooked, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
200g Arborio rice
600ml hot chicken stock
Handful of finely chopped fresh basil

Add the chorizo to a wok and cook until the oils are released. Add in the mushrooms, garlic and tomato halves.
Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, with the lid on, before adding the chicken pieces. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the rice and half the basil. Stir gently for 2 minutes.
Add a third of the stock, letting it simmer gently until the liquid is nearly all absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Add more stock, keeping the mixture gently simmering, whilst stirring regularly, until all the stock is used up and the rice is tender. Season with black pepper to taste.
Spoon in the remaining basil and serve immediately on warmed plates.

This is lovely with HEX cheese grated over at the end or stirred through at the end of cooking.

Last edited:
POT NOODLES - Serves 4

1 Syns per serving, for the basic recipe and an extra 0.5 Syns for each tbsp. Oyster Sauce added (Tiger,Tiger, Asda and Tesco Oyster Sauce = 0.5 Syns per tbsp. )

2 tsp. sesame oil - 4 Syns
3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 red onions, finely chopped
225g carrots, finely chopped or thinly sliced batons
600ml chicken stock
Soy sauce
Oyster sauce
375g dried medium egg noodles

Put the garlic, onions, pepper, carrots and chicken stock into a pan and boil, until the veg has softened.
Add the soy and oyster sauces to the pan (to taste).
Add the noodles, bring back to the boil and cook until soft.
Put the sesame oil into a wok or large frying pan and heat.
Drain the liquid from the noodle pan and add the contents to the wok.
Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until everything is piping hot.
Serve immediately.

If you prefer a spicier noodle dish, add some finely chopped chillies when adding the veg initially or sprinkle in some hot chilli powder.

CHILLI BEAN SOUP - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp. mild chilli powder
Half a tsp. ground cumin
400g can chopped tomatoes
400ml hot vegetable stock
400g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium/high heat and cook the onion for about 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir in the garlic, puree and spices and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and stock.
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly, then whizz in a blender, before returning to the pan.
Add the beans and red pepper, bring back to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Season to taste and add extra stock or water if you prefer a thinner consistency.

This is a take on a Tesco recipe and is especially lovely on a cold, windy, wet evening, such as this! :)

I've heard a few people talk about mushy pea curry, what's in it? I assume mushy peas and curry ha ha but how is it made? Thank you :) xx

Hi Lizzie, this is the recipe I used it was scrummy!

This will serve 4-6 people (depending on how big you like your portions!)

Ingredients:-

Diced Onions (as many as you like)
Sliced Mushrooms (again, use as many as you like)
2 x Mushy Peas

1 x Baked Beans
2 x Chopped Tomato's
1 Tablespoon Chili powder
1 Heaped Tablespoon of Curry powder
(With the chili and curry powder add to taste, I use mild as I don't like my food too hot)

Method:-

First start by frying the onions and mushrooms until they are golden brown. Use as many or as little onions and mushrooms as you like.

Add the chopped tomato's, baked beans and mushy peas to the pan and stir well.

Add the chili and curry powder to taste. Don't add to much too soon, instead keep adding a little in at a time to ensure you get the perfect taste for you.

This doesn't take long to cook but I usually give it about 20 minutes on a medium heat on the stove to ensure that all the ingredients really combine with each other.

Serve with rice, a jacket potato or slimming chips! Yummy!

To add a little 'meatiness' to this curry try adding in chicken or pork. Or you can blitz the curry with a hand blender and turn into a tasty syn free curry sauce to pour over some slimming world chips. Who needs chips with curry on the market when you have this syn free alternative!

Enjoy xx

CHICKEN LIVER PATE (Yes, I know it sounds gross but, it's really not!)

Syn Free - unless using brandy

1 tub of chicken livers (Most supermarkets sell these).
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Half a tsp. dried mixed herbs or 1 tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon
1 Bayleaf
Quark

Spray a pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, garlic, herbs and bay leaf gently, over a low/medium heat, stirring occasionally.
When the onion has softened, add the chicken livers and cook until tender and cooked through.
Remove the bay leaf and add ingredients to a blender, along with 2 tbsp. Quark (you can add more later to achieve the desired consistency).
Season to taste with salt and ground black or pink peppercorns.
Whizz until smooth.

If using, add a little brandy at the end, stirring through, gently. Don't forget to Syn this. I must admit, I think it just finishes it off, adding a touch of decadence to the recipe! :) Keeps well in the fridge for a few days, with the flavours gradually improving.

The only info on brandy I could find was 25ml = 2.5 Syns so 1 tbsp. would, I imagine be about 1.5 Syns. If anyone know exactly, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
I love pate and I do it at all the time in my opinion it's worth to add a couple of slices of smoked bacon :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MiniMins.com mobile app

CHICKEN SUPREME - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts
4 tbsp. the lightest Hellman's mayo - 3 Syns
60g Parmesan cheese
25g dry breadcrumbs - 2.5 Syns (or save Syns by taking from HEX's)
Half a tsp. dried oregano

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Combine the mayo and Parmesan in a bowl.
Arrange the chicken on a non-stick baking tray. Top each breast evenly with the mayo mixture.
Mix the oregano through the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the mayo mix.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with SW wedges/chips or new potatoes and lots of fresh veg.

Dry breadcrumbs out by leaving the blitzed bread spread out evenly on a baking tray for a few hours or, preferably, overnight.

Hi Kathy, great thread, just what I am looking for, as I'm not much of a cook, and a month into the plan I'm already bored with my basics, I think if I'm going to succeed I need to start cooking more varied meals to keep me interested. Thank you. Helen.

Thanks, Helen. That's so kind of you to say. Good luck with the plan and with trying out new recipes, whether from this thread or not. It's so lovely when I'm reassured that people are still interested in this thread, then I know I'm not just wasting my time!! :D Hope you don't stay bored for long.

Kathy :)

ROASTIES WITH A DIFFERENCE - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if not using Frylight

14 new potatoes, halved
1 large, red onion, quite finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, depending on size and personal taste, crushed
14 cherry tomatoes, halved
Smoked paprika, to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns, or use Frylight

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Parboil the potatoes for 5-10 minutes. Drain and then add to the onion, garlic and tomato halves in a roasting dish.
Sprinkle with the paprika, to taste and some salt. Pour over the olive oil or spray well with Frylight and stir together well.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and golden, stirring occasionally.

Sometimes I add chopped peppers, mushrooms, slightly pre-cooked bacon or Synned chorizo to this and it's particularly tasty when one or two HEX cheeses are grated over. This is a lovely side dish that goes with just about anything!

Mmm, I can imagine! However lovely someone is, you just can't beat your own space, can you? Let's hope it won't be too long and all the best for the up-coming wedding! :)

Kathy x

CHICKEN, MUSHROOM AND CHORIZO RISOTTO - Serves 2

1.5 Syns per serving

6 cherry tomatoes, halved
8 button mushrooms, sliced
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 pre-cooked, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
200g Arborio rice
600ml hot chicken stock
Handful of finely chopped fresh basil

Spray a wok or frying pan with Frylight. Add the chorizo, mushrooms, garlic and tomato halves.
Cook for about 10 minutes, before adding the chicken pieces. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the rice and half the rice. Stir gently for 2 minutes.
Add a third of the stock, letting it simmer gently until the liquid is nearly all absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Add more stock, keeping the mixture gently simmering, whilst stirring regularly, until all the stock is used up and the rice is tender. Season with black pepper to taste.
Spoon in the remaining basil and serve immediately on warmed plates.

This is lovely with HEX cheese grated over at the end or stirred through at the end of cooking.

Literally the best thing in the universe!! *daydreams*
x

So glad you enjoyed it, Llamasoks. Must admit, it's one of my favs. Funnily enough, I've just this minute put a chicken and chorizo meal on in the slow cooker, that we're going to have later on, with rice. Can't get enough of chorizo - I just love it!! :)

Kathy x

I'm the same with Chorizo, and my OH is a fiend with it, shame it's so fatty - can't beat a bit of crispy fried chorizo...and now I have a craving!!
X

Back