Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Kathy, I am away a lot at the moment. Grandkids have not been well and now they are better they are going on holiday so I am going back to dogsit. Will catch up with the list in a couple of

Kathy x

Unfortunately I cannot get onto minimins on sons computer. I keep trying to find out why by sending the powers that be if there is anything can do - of course no replies. After 3 times now, giving up,

Speak soon

Doreen x

Please don't worry, Doreen! As you know, I'm already eternally grateful to you for all you do, as I'm sure everyone else is too. Sounds weird about your son's computer! Glad to hear your grandchildren are better now and hope they enjoy their hols. Hope you enjoy your dog-sitting too! :D All the best.

Kathy xx

PORK STEAKS WITH HONEY AND MUSTARD - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

4 lean pork steaks, all visible fat removed
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
1 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Quarter tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tbsp. wholegrain mustard - 1.5 Syns

Snip around the edge of the pork steaks, to prevent curling during cooking.
Blend together the honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in a shallow dish.
Lie the pork steaks in this mixture, turning and basting with a spoon. Cover with cling-film and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or, overnight.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight. Drain the pork steaks, reserving the marinade, and fry over a gentle heat, for 6-7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness.
Remove the meat from the pan and place on a warmed plate. Pour off any excess fat.
Pour the reserved marinade into the pan and reduce it slightly over the heat.
Stir in the mustard and blend well. Season to taste with black pepper.
Serve the pork with the sauce poured over.

Great served with roasted sweet potatoes and a green veg, like wilted spinach. Also lovely with mushroom rice.

Last edited:
love the sound of this xx

CURRIED CHICKEN AND RICE - Serves 3

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

200g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cooked, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
250g pouch Morrison's Basmati rice, pre-cooked - 1 Syn
125g frozen peas
1 onion, sliced (I always use frozen onion 'cos it softens brilliantly in Frylight)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3 level tbsp. Patak's Tandoori paste - 1.5 Syns
100ml vegetable stock

Spray a pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion until just softening, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the curry paste and rice and mix well.
Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat.
Add the chicken, chickpeas and peas. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and all the ingredients are heated through.

If you have any coriander in, this is good stirred through at the end of cooking. You could also replace the chicken with a tin of butterbeans, if you wanted a veggie option.
Also good served with a tablespoon or two of mango chutney, if you have Syns to spare. Patak's is 1.5 Syns per level tablespoon.

PASTA WITH SPICED PRAWNS AND CHORIZO - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

1 small onion, chopped
150g diced chorizo - 9 Syns
200g can of chopped tomatoes
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
350g pasta (I use Rigatoni)
200g large, raw prawns, deveined, tails removed and chopped - the fishmonger will do this
Either chilli flakes to taste or 1 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle paste - 2 level tsp. = 0.5 Syns

Spray a pan well with Frylight and fry the onion, gently (again I use frozen), along with some black pepper, until softened.
Add the chorizo, turn up the heat a little and cook until the oils run.
Add the tomatoes and chipotle paste/chilli flakes, if using, and stir, over a medium heat, for a few minutes.
Add 100ml of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta, according to pack instructions.
Add the prawns to the sauce, bring back to the boil and cook for 1 minute or until the prawns change colour.
Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

SPICY LAMB AND FETA BURGERS _ Serves 4

Syn Free if using Feta as HEX's

450g extra lean lamb mince
Quarter of a tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. ground allspice
Half tsp. cumin powder
3-4 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or coriander
Grated zest of 1 lemon
125g Feta cheese, crumbles (45g Feta - 1 HEX)

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Using slightly dampened hands, shape into 4 burgers. Chill, covered for 30 minutes.
Cook under a pre-heated, moderate grill for 6-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear.

Lovely served on HEX bread rolls, accompanied by a cucumber salad.

CURRIED CHICKEN AND RICE - Serves 3

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

200g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cooked, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
250g pouch Morrison's Basmati rice, pre-cooked - 1 Syn
125g frozen peas
1 onion, sliced (I always use frozen onion 'cos it softens brilliantly in Frylight)
3 level tbsp. Patak's Tandoori paste - 1.5 Syns
100ml vegetable stock

Spray a pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion until just softening, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the curry paste and rice and mix well.
Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat.
Add the chicken, chickpeas and peas. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and all the ingredients are heated through.

If you have any coriander in, this is good stirred through at the end of cooking. You could also replace the chicken with a tin of butterbeans, if you wanted a veggie option.
Also good served with a tablespoon or two of mango chutney, if you have Syns to spare. Patak's is 1.5 Syns per level tablespoon.

will have to try this one.:)

CHICKEN AND GREEN OLIVE TAGINE - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

This one's a take on a Sainsbury's recipe.

2 medium onions, finely chopped (Again, I use frozen because they soften easily in Frylight).
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
615g skinless chicken thigh fillets
2 tsp. ras el hanout
1 cinnamon stick
Half tsp. ground ginger
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
75g pitted green olives, preferably with herbs - 4.5 Syns

Spray a hob to oven casserole dish well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes, then remove from casserole dish and set aside.
Re-spray, if necessary, and cook the chicken until golden.
Return the onion and garlic to the casserole. Add the ras el hanout, cinnamon, ginger, honey, tomatoes and olives, along with 150ml water.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes until the chicken has cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
If you like, at the end of cooking, stir some harissa through, to taste. 1 tsp. is only 0.5 Syns.

Recommended serving with couscous.

GARLIC PRAWNS WITH BASIL AND TOMATO PASTA - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
550g prawns, peeled and deveined (If you can't buy ready prepared, the fishmonger will do this for you.)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
One sixth of a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
180ml dry white wine - 6.5 Syns
200-300g cherry tomatoes, halved
Handful of freshly chopped basil

Heat the olive oil until almost smoking, then add the prawns, cooking until almost cooked through. Push to one side of the pan or, remove and keep warm.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
Add the wine and turn the heat up, cooking until the wine has reduced by about half.
Add the tomatoes and most of the basil. Continue cooking until the tomatoes begin to lose their shape.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you removed the prawns from the pan, return them now and cook until just heated through.
Serve on warmed plates with cooked pasta.

ANOTHER CHILLI CHICKEN - Serves 6

0.5 Syns for the whole recipe

1 large onion, chopped
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
700g skinless chicken breast fillets, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g red split lentils
2 peppers, deseeded and diced
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
450ml chicken stock
2 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle Paste - 0.5 Syns

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, ginger and chicken for 5 minutes or until golden.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, peppers, kidney beans, stock and Chipotle paste.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through thoroughly.

Lovely served with rice and scattered with finely chopped coriander, if you have any.

SPICED CAULIFLOWER SOUP - Serves 6

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. chilli oil - 6 Syns
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 lemon
1.4L hot chicken stock
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil - 4 Syns
6 tsp. FF natural yoghurt

Heat the chilli oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion for approx. 10 minutes or until softened.
Add a pinch of salt to the pan. Add the garlic and coriander and fry for 2 mins.
Stir in the cauliflower and potato cubes and cook for 5 mins.
Add the zest of the lemon to the pan, along with the hot stock.
Season and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins or until the vegetables are tender.
Cool slightly, then whizz the soup, in batches, in a food blender, until smooth.
In the meantime, juice half the lemon and mix with the olive oil.
Return the soup to the rinsed out pan. Re-heat gently and check the seasoning.
Divide amongst 6 warm bowls.
Swirl 1 tsp. of yoghurt into each bowl and drizzle with the lemon oil. Serve immediately.

ANOTHER CHILLI CHICKEN - Serves 6

0.5 Syns for the whole recipe

1 large onion, chopped
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
700g skinless chicken breast fillets, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g red split lentils
2 peppers, deseeded and diced
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
450ml chicken stock
2 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle Paste - 0.5 Syns

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, ginger and chicken for 5 minutes or until golden.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, peppers, kidney beans, stock and Chipotle paste.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through thoroughly.

Lovely served with rice and scattered with finely chopped coriander, if you have any.

I have just cooked this ready for tea tonight & it smells & looks lovely!
I cooked it early as we are meeting friends with children at MacDonald s tonight & I didn't want to throw away syns. If I have a dinner ready to eat when I get in I won't weaken when I'm there!
Thank you x

Yes, I know what you mean. It's too easy to give in otherwise, isn't it? Really hope you enjoy it. It's become a firm favourite in our house - not least because it's so easy! :D

Kathy x

Yes, I know what you mean. It's too easy to give in otherwise, isn't it? Really hope you enjoy it. It's become a firm favourite in our house - not least because it's so easy! :D

Kathy x

Just got in - avoided temptation - rice in saucepan so will have dinner in 10 minutes x

I haven't been right through this thread, so I don't know if anyones already posted something similar. But my recipe for corned beef hotpot only has 4 ingredients and it is super easy to make, so I thought I'd add it on here. I am the only one doing SW at home, so the following makes enough for 1 person:

- 100g Princes lean corned beef (2 Syns), diced
- 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- A medium onion, peeled and sliced
- A Knorr beef flavour stock pot

Then all you do is layer the corned beef, onion and potato in an oven proof dish. I start with a layer of corned beef and onion and then a layer of potatoes, until all of the ingredients are used up and the final layer is potato. Then make up the stock pot with about 200ml boiling water and pour over the hotpot. Cook on a medium shelf in the oven on about 200, for approx 30 minutes. Voi la!

Thanks for adding, Stevie. There is another corned beef hash recipe on page 76 but you got the ingredients down even further so, well done! :) Just adding it to my recipe list for this coming week! It reminded me too of another I used to make a lot but had forgotten about!

CORNED BEEF HASH WITH A KICK - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 - 2 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as part of a HEX

4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
400g can baked beans
340g Princes lean corned beef - 6.5 Syns
90g grated Cheddar cheese
1 onion, finely chopped
Curry powder to taste or 1-2 level tsp. chipotle paste (Discovery chipotle - 2 level tsp. = 0.5 Syns)

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Boil the potatoes, drain, season and mash with a little milk taken from a HEX or Synned.
Meanwhile, fry the onions until crisp in a small frying pan sprayed with Frylight.
Stir the curry powder or chipotle paste (if using) into the baked beans and pour into the bottom of a 1.5 litre casserole dish.
Place the chopped corned beef on top of the beans and top with the fried onion.
Top with the mash and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. The mash should start to crisp, but not yet brown.
Top with the cheese and bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden.

I sometimes add some chopped carrots to the potatoes and mash them together.

I'd forgotten all about this one but will definitely be making again soon! :)

Back