Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Hello. Im glad you found the chicken with mustard cream. Ivwas looking for it but didnt go back far enough. It sounds lovely. :)

Another fantastic recipe, I've copied it into my recipes book so I can try it out.
Thanks again for all your hard work with this thread.x

Thanks for your lovely comment, littlemissnaughty. It's comments like yours that make it worth-while. Couldn't be so organised without Nanny Doreen, of course! :D

Kathy x

BAKED SALMON FISHCAKES - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using half a HEX B - although shared between 4, it would be a tiny amount anyway!

2x213g cans red salmon
2 eggs
454g cold mashed potato
5 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
28g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs

For the tartare sauce:

3 tbsp. FF natural fromage frais
2 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt
2 mini gherkins
1 tbsp. capers

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Flake the salmon into a bowl, discarding any bones.
Beat an egg and add to the salmon with the mashed potato, 4 tbsp. of parsley and some black pepper to taste.
Mix well, cover and chill for 30 mins.
Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form into fish cakes about 2.5cm thick.
Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment.
Beat the remaining egg, brush over each fish cake and sprinkle over a few of the breadcrumbs.
Spray lightly with Frylight and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Meanwhile, prepare the tartare sauce.
Mix together the fromage frais and yoghurt.
Finely chop the gherkins and capers and add to the yoghurt mixture with the remaining parsley and some seasoning.
Serve the fish cakes with some salad leaves and the sauce on the side.

The fish cakes can be frozen for up to a month.

This is a recipe I forgot I had, from an old Princes leaflet. It's easy and makes a tasty lunch.

Thanks for your lovely comment, littlemissnaughty. It's comments like yours that make it worth-while. Couldn't be so organised without Nanny Doreen, of course! :D

Kathy x

My ego grows by the hour ;)

Ha ha!! :D Couldn't be so organised without you, Doreen. :)

Kathy x

Just realised I've repeated exactly what I said before! Must be dementia setting in!! x

HERBY PORK STEAKS - Serves 2

2.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 lean pork loin steaks
1 tsp. crushed mixed peppercorns
1 clove of garlic, crushed
100g mixed mushrooms, sliced
5 level tbsp. BGTY half-fat crème fraiche - 2.5 Syns
1 tbsp. fresh basil, torn
1 tbsp. fresh dill, torn

Crush the peppercorns (I buy ready crushed 'cos I'm lazy!) and coat the steaks with them.
Spray a frying pan well with Frylight, heat and cook the pork steaks for 2-4 minutes, turning half way through.
Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the steaks are properly cooked through. Turn the steaks during this time.
Add the crème fraiche to the pan, along with the herbs. Heat gently for about 2 minutes.

Lovely served with a green veg and new or mashed potatoes, especially garlic mash!

CHEESY CHIPS - Serves 4. This is a modification of a Good Food recipe.

Syn Free, if using the cheese as a HEX

120g freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment and drop little spoonfuls of the grated cheese onto this. Space them well apart.
Spread out each pile, to form thin circles, then bake for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is lightly golden.
Leave to cool on the tray, until they have gone crisp. Slide them off gently with a palette knife or fish slice.

Last edited:
TOMATO SAUCE FOR DIPPING THE CHEESY CHIPS IN! Also a take on a recipe from Good Food.

1 onion, finely chopped (I use frozen)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes

Spray a pan well with Frylight and gently fry the onion until softened.
Add the garlic and tomatoes, seasoning well.
Simmer until the mixture has reduced and thickened.
Puree in a food processor until smooth. Cool and chill.
Start dipping!! :D

CHICKEN SATAY - Serves 6

Just over 1.5 Syns per serving. You really can't use Frylight in this recipe but, at least, the Syns are still low, even with the sesame oil! :)

1kg skinless chicken breast, diced
Half tsp. freshly grated ginger - could use dried but not as nice in this recipe
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil - 2 Syns
3 tbsp. of the home-made satay sauce

Satay sauce:

1.5 tbsp. reduced fat peanut butter - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. dark soy sauce (reduced salt, if poss.)
1 tsp. sesame oil - 2 Syns
Quarter tsp. dried ginger
Quarter tsp. crushed garlic
Quarter tsp. red chilli powder

Mix together all the satay ingredients thoroughly.
Mix the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and 1 tbsp. of the home-made satay sauce together, add the diced chicken and leave to marinate for a minimum of two hours, covered, in the fridge.
Spray a wok or large non-stick frying pan with Frylight. Stir-fry the diced chicken until thoroughly cooked through.
Lovely served with jasmine rice and garnished with diced cucumber.

Last edited:
CHICKEN SATAY - Serves 6 Just over 1.5 Syns per serving 1kg skinless chicken breast, diced Half tsp. freshly grated ginger - could use dried but not as nice in this recipe 1 tsp soy sauce 1 tsp. sesame oil - 2 Syns 3 tbsp. of the home-made satay sauce Satay sauce: 1.5 tbsp. reduced fat peanut butter - 6 Syns 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce (reduced salt, if poss.) 1 tsp. sesame oil - 2 Syns Quarter tsp. dried ginger Quarter tsp. crushed garlic Quarter tsp. red chilli powder Mix together all the satay ingredients thoroughly. Mix the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and 1 tbsp. of the home-made satay sauce together, add the diced chicken and leave to marinate for a minimum of two hours, covered, in the fridge. Spray a wok or large non-stick frying pan with Frylight. Stir-fry the diced chicken until thoroughly cooked through. Lovely served with jasmine rice and garnished with diced cucumber.

I need this in my life!!!!

ROSEMARY AND DIJON CHICKEN - Serves 4

Just over 2 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 level tbsp. Dijon mustard - 3 Syns
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns - unfortunately, Frylight isn't good in this recipe but the Syns are still low.
1 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary

Cut slashes into the top of each chicken portion and put into a casserole dish.
Mix all the remaining ingredients together, season well and pour over the chicken.
Massage the marinade into the chicken well, pushing some into the slashes. Cover and chill in the fridge for, at least, one hour.
Cook under a pre-heated grill or in a Frylight sprayed frying pan, until thoroughly cooked through.
Lovely served with jacket potatoes (stuffed with HEX cheese, if you can spare it), and a crisp, mixed salad.

LAMB KEEMA - Serves 4

Syn Free

450g extra lean lamb mince - ask your butcher to mince up some lean lamb steaks for you. They're so much better than supermarket minced lamb!
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 x 2.5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1-2 fresh green chillies, deseeded (if preferred) and finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp. garam masala or medium curry powder
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 level tsp. sweetener
2 tbsp. tomato puree

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until the onion has softened. I either start the onion off in the microwave for about 4 mins, with a splash of water or use frozen onion. Never think Frylight softens it very well. (Sound like a stuck record!).
Add the ginger, chillies, cumin and garam masala or curry powder.
Cook over a moderate heat for about 2 mins.
Add the lamb and stir-fry for 3 mins, then add the tomatoes, sweetener and tomato puree. Bring to the boil.
Season, reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water, if necessary.

This is so tasty served with plain Basmati rice. and a dollop of mango chutney on the side. Pataks is 3 Syns for 2 level tbsp. Sometimes, if I have any in, I stick some coriander on top and throw a handful of frozen peas in, about 10 minutes before the end of cooking.

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO BAKE - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

300g wholegrain Basmati rice - think Tilda's is superior to any of the others, personally.
6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut in half - tastier than breast.
200g diced chorizo - 13 Syns
200g cherry tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red onion, finely sliced
1.4 litres chicken stock

Spray an oven and hob-proof dish with Frylight or, if you haven't got one, use a pan, then transfer to a casserole dish later.
Saute the chorizo and chicken until golden, then set aside.
Add the onion, garlic and tomatoes to the oils left in the dish, adding more Frylight, if necessary, although the chorizo should have released sufficient oils by now.
Place the dish in the oven and leave to cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it though, to make sure it has sufficient oil in it still.
Soak the rice in cold water while the tomato mixture is in the oven.
Turn the oven down to 180C/Gas 4, once the tomato mixture is out.
Drain the rice and add to the tomatoes.
Add the chicken, chorizo and stock. Cover and return to the oven for half an hour.
Check after 20 minutes and, if it's completely dry, add 100ml water, cover and return to the oven.
Season to taste before serving. Careful with the salt. I add none, because of the chorizo but, it's up to you. :)

If I have any saffron in, I put about 7-8 strands of it, in with the chicken, chorizo and stock but I never buy it in especially. Likewise, if I have fresh parsley to hand, I scatter some over before serving.

This is lovely with salad.

PARMESAN CHICKEN - Serves 2. This is a take on a recipe by Jo Pratt.

Syn Free, if using the cheese as a HEX.

2 skinless chicken breast fillets, each sliced into two thin pieces
60g fresh Parmesan, grated
Half tsp. paprika
1 egg white, lightly whisked with a fork

Mix together the grated cheese and paprika.
Dip the chicken pieces into the egg white and then press down into the cheese mixture, thoroughly coating both sides.
Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight and place over a medium heat.
Cook the chicken for about 2-3 minutes on each side until crisp, golden and thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with a salad and some SW wedges.
In the original recipe, it states using 75g of Parmesan and, if I have Syns to spare, that is what I use, Synning the extra 15g (which isn't much, between two people) but, even with the lower amount, it still tastes fantastic! :)

POTATO PASTRY QUICHE - Serves 4. Wasn't sure how this'd turn out but tasted really good! :)

Syn Free, if using the cheese as HEX's

50g grated, raw potato (best done in a food processor), with all the liquid squeezed out.
1 egg white, lightly beaten
60g grated onion
Tub of Quark
Some cooked bacon, snipped into pieces or ham
4 eggs, lightly whisked
Other things you may want to add, like sliced mushrooms, corn, etc.
160g reduced fat mature Cheddar, grated

Mix the grated potato, onion, egg white and a pinch of salt together in a bowl.
Transfer to a flan dish, pressing evenly into place over the base and up the sides.
Bake for 30 minutes, then spray the bottom of it lightly with Frylight, spreading it evenly over the base with a pastry brush.
Cook for a further 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Turn the temperature down to 180C/Gas 4.
In a large bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients, reserving half the cheese.
Sprinkle the base of the flan case with the reserved cheese, then pour in the filling.
Sprinkle with a dusting of paprika, if liked and bake in the centre of the oven for approx. 40 minutes, or until set.

Great served hot or cold. Lovely with a salad for lunch.

BAKED GARLIC CHICKEN - Serves 4

3 Syns for the whole recipe, if using breadcrumbs and cheese as part HEX's

8 skinless chicken thigh fillets (could use 4 breasts but thighs have more taste)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tbsp. fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
12g sesame seeds - 3 Syns
2 tbsp. mature, grated Cheddar
150ml chicken stock

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Season the chicken pieces.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the chicken on both sides until golden.
Place in a Frylight sprayed shallow baking dish.
Dot the tomato halves around the chicken pieces.
Mix the breadcrumbs, garlic, thyme, sesame seeds, Cheddar and seasoning together.
Pour in the stock, then scatter the topping over.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the topping is golden and crisp and the chicken thoroughly cooked through.

Great with a jacket potato and salad. Of course, if you want it Syn Free, you can just omit the sesame seeds, although, I have to say, they do add an amazing flavour! :)

OMG where has this thread been all my life :eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my GT-P5210 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Loving the sounds of these. How many oats do you use?

Hi Emma. You use 35g of oats and cook them for about 15 minutes but it's one of those recipes where, after about 10 minutes, just keep checking because, obviously, ovens can vary quite a lot. Hope you like them, if you give them a go. Might make some myself now, this afternoon! :D Not made them in ages!

Kathy

OMG where has this thread been all my life :eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my GT-P5210 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Aww, thanks Lyndsey and thanks for all the likes too! :) As I've said before, when I know people are going to use some of the recipes, it makes it worthwhile continuing. Hope you enjoy any you try.

Kathy

Back