Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

I totally agree about the chorizo.

Kathy I am blaming you for my current chorizo addiction!! So worth the syns!!
Made a lovely spanish style omelette with it today (got the basic recipe off the SW website) and it added that extra bit of oomph!

Oh dear! I would apologise but love the stuff so much that I just had to share!! :D The Spanish omelette sounds delicious!

Kathy x

PASTA WITH CHORIZO AND RED PEPPER SAUCE - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
150g diced chorizo - 10 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
Pinch of chilli powder to taste

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until beginning to soften. As many of you will know, I usually start my onion off in the microwave for a few minutes in a splash of water.
Add in the pepper and garlic and fry for a further 5-10 minutes.
Add the chorizo and cook until all the lovely oils seep out. Stir the other ingredients, already in the pan, into the oils.
Pour in the chopped tomatoes. Fill the can with boiling water and carefully pour this into the pan.
Add some seasoning and a pinch of chilli powder. Stir well.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.

If preferred, you could use a fresh, deseeded and finely chopped chilli, instead of the powder. Just add in, along with the garlic.
This sauce is gorgeous served with cooked pasta stirred through and, even more scrumptious, if you have a spare HEX portion of cheese to grate over.

Apologies to Lisa (freakydarkstuff) for yet another chorizo recipe!! Not really! :D x

SMOKED PAPRIKA LAMB BURGERS - Serves 4

Syn Free

450g extra lean minced lamb - I ask my butcher to mince some of his very lean lamb cuts for this.
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. smoked paprika
Half tsp. Discovery chipotle paste - This is only 0.5 Syn for 2 tsp. so haven't counted it as a Syn.
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 egg, beaten

Spray a pan well with Frylight and gently fry the onion until beginning to soften.
Bind together the lamb, fried onion, parsley, smoked paprika, chipotle paste, garlic and some seasoning in a bowl with the egg.
Form the mixture into burger shapes, approximately 5cm thick.
Grill for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or longer, until thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely on a HEX roll, with SW wedges and a crunchy salad.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98

CHEESY PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving, if using cheese as HEX's and, if using oil instead of Frylight

250g BNS, peeled and diced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
Mixture of whichever veg you enjoy
150 - 200g dried wholewheat pasta shapes
2 large eggs
200g 0% Total Greek yoghurt
100ml veg stock
160g grated light mature Cheddar (40g per HEX)
2 tbsp. oil - 12 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put all the prepared veg into a large roasting tray, drizzle with the oil or spray with Frylight and roast for 30-40 minutes.
Halfway through the roasting, cook the pasta according to pack instructions, drain and rinse with boiling water.
Mix the beaten eggs with the yoghurt, stock, a little seasoning and 90g of the cheese.
When the veg is ready, mix everything together in an ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted.

I use leeks and different coloured peppers in this but, I suppose you could use any veg that is good for roasting. I sometimes add cooked bacon and mushrooms into it too and sprinkle lightly with paprika before the final cooking.

I have done this with Frylight, therefore making it Syn Free, if using the cheese as HEX's but find the veg roasts better when using the oil.

Last edited:
Just made the sunshine pork and served it with broccoli, what a success !! Very easy to do, was delicious and even my 3 year old ate it!!!

Hi Sookie. It is on the very first page and there's a pork chop recipe on page 93 that is really tasty too. Have to say, that's my favourite, especially when served with garlic mash. Hope you enjoy any you try. :)

Kathy x

SPICY FALAFEL

Syn Free

400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, grated
1 tsp. of ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
Half tsp. dried parsley
Half tsp. mixed dried herbs
Half tsp. cayenne pepper
1 medium egg, beaten

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and gently fry the garlic and onion until soft.
Tip the chickpeas into a bowl and, using the back of a fork, squash into a rough paste.
Stir in the cooked onion and garlic, spices, herbs and a pinch of salt and mix well.
Add the egg and combine well, to form a thick paste.
Using wet hands, mould the mix into small balls, using about a dessertspoonful of the mixture for each ball.
Flatten the balls into patty shapes. Put onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment paper.
Spray the patties with Frylight and bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until starting to brown on the tops.

Lovely served, hot or cold, with cous cous, SW houmous and a crunchy salad.

Hi Chocko

I don't know how I missed this thread- I only noticed it the other day and have took loads of screenshots of recipes on my phone!!
Can't wait to get trying some! I did try the oaty cookies but they stuck to the grease proof paper?! Next time I'l try them onto the baking tray with frylight :)

SPICY FALAFEL

Syn Free

400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, grated
1 tsp. of ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
Half tsp. dried parsley
Half tsp. mixed dried herbs
Half tsp. cayenne pepper
1 medium egg, beaten

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and gently fry the garlic and onion until soft.
Tip the chickpeas into a bowl and, using the back of a fork, squash into a rough paste.
Stir in the cooked onion and garlic, spices, herbs and a pinch of salt and mix well.
Add the egg and combine well, to form a thick paste.
Using wet hands, mould the mix into small balls, using about a dessertspoonful of the mixture for each ball.
Flatten the balls into patty shapes. Put onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment paper.
Spray the patties with Frylight and bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until starting to brown on the tops.

Lovely served, hot or cold, with cous cous, SW houmous and a crunchy salad.

This sounds delish! I've been avoiding falafel as ready made one's are so high in syn but I'm definitely trying these! I've got all the ingredients apart from the chickpeas and cayenne pepper as well so a minimal shopping list!

Hi Sookie. It is on the very first page and there's a pork chop recipe on page 93 that is really tasty too. Have to say, that's my favourite, especially when served with garlic mash. Hope you enjoy any you try. :) Kathy x

Will have a look.. Loving your recipes especially the ones with chorizo. Got a few of your recipes lined up for dinners this week. XX

I made the saucy beef stir fry last night, can't get spring onions out here so substituted it with a green leafy thing I found (think it was pak choi ) anyway it was another hit, quick, easy and tasty, thanks so muck for all these recipes

This sounds delish! I've been avoiding falafel as ready made one's are so high in syn but I'm definitely trying these! I've got all the ingredients apart from the chickpeas and cayenne pepper as well so a minimal shopping list!

Oh, great! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do, Lisa. :)

Kathy x

Hi Chocko

I don't know how I missed this thread- I only noticed it the other day and have took loads of screenshots of recipes on my phone!!
Can't wait to get trying some! I did try the oaty cookies but they stuck to the grease proof paper?! Next time I'l try them onto the baking tray with frylight :)

Hope you enjoy the ones you try, ally. Maybe try the cookies on non-stick baking parchment if you do them again. That's what I always use and they come off easily - famous last words! :D Can't remember if it says on the recipe but I always leave them for about 5 minutes, once they come out of the oven, before removing them from the baking parchment carefully with either a spatula or a fish slice. Hope that helps.

Kathy x

LAMB PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheeses as HEX's

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500g extra lean minced lamb (or beef)
1 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp. dried oregano
350g dried macaroni
150ml FF Greek yoghurt
1 medium egg, beaten
Mixture of 45g Feta and 55g mature Cheddar, grated

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the mince and cook, stirring, until browned. Drain off any fat.
Add the puree and cook for a further minute.
Add the tomatoes, then half fill the can with water and add to the mince.
Add the oregano and season, before bringing to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
For the topping, mix the yoghurt, egg and half the cheeses. Season with pepper.
Cook the macaroni according to pack instructions, until al dente. Drain and spoon half into a deep, ovenproof dish. Season.
Top with the mince and remaining macaroni.
Press down, spoon over the yoghurt topping and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.

Back