Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

That sounds good, Celtic-chick! Thanks for helping me build this into a more comprehensive thread. I really appreciate it. :)

Here's a really scrummy one, courtesy of Michelle.

CHEESE SCONES - Syn Free on Green and EE. I've used these as a Cobbler topping too and they really soak up the gravy. Don't like Smash potato but, seriously, you can't taste it! :D

300g BGTY Chive and Onion cottage cheese - or equivalent
Seasoning
2 eggs
100g Smash or other instant potato

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and blend in the eggs.
Stir in the instant mash in dried powder form.
Separate into balls and flatten into scone size shapes.
Put on a Frylighted baking tray in a pre-heated oven, Gas 5, on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes. Spray the tops of the scones with Frylight before placing in the oven.
I sometimes sprinkle a HEX portion of mature, grated Cheddar on mine before baking and, as well as making them taste even more delicious, it turns them really golden and a little crunchy.

Absolutely gorgeous, I promise! There has been some talk about Synning these as the instant mash isn't being used in the correct way but several consultants have recommended these in class so they can't make much difference, as long as you don't go totally crazy, I suppose! :D

Suppose you could add herbs, dried garlic, a pinch of chilli .........

OMG I made these today as I had some cottage cheese that was expiring. As you said, I was really concerned about the taste of the smash (I used to love it as a child so bought one of the large tubs and I swear they mustve changed the recipe because its vile now!!) But you cannot taste it! And they were the stodge I needed. Made 8 really decent sized portions so will last a few days :)

Hi Chocko

I don't know how I missed this thread- I only noticed it the other day and have took loads of screenshots of recipes on my phone!!
Can't wait to get trying some! I did try the oaty cookies but they stuck to the grease proof paper?! Next time I'l try them onto the baking tray with frylight :)

I lightly spray a normal baking tray with frylight and they havent stuck in the 4 times Ive now made these. You cant taste the frylight either.

CHICKEN PARMIGIANA - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheese and bread as HEX's

4 skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs, beaten
4 slices of wholemeal bread
120g Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
One carton of passata
Sweetener
1 tsp. dried oregano

Flatten the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film, by bashing them with a wooden rolling pin, until they are the thickness of a pound coin.
Put the beaten eggs into a shallow dish.
Whizz the bread in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and put these into a different shallow dish.
Dip both sides of the chicken breasts into the egg and then directly into the breadcrumbs.
Pre-heat the grill whilst you prepare the sauce, by spraying a pan with Frylight and cooking the garlic for one minute. Tip in the passata, half to one level tbsp. of sweetener and the oregano. Turn the heat down to Low under the pan. Stir occasionally.
Grill the chicken breasts on High for five minutes each side, but not so high the breadcrumbs burn. Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
Take an ovenproof dish and tip the tomato sauce into it. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle over the Parmesan.
Place the dish back under the grill until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.

We had ours with baby new potatoes from the farm shop and a colourful salad but guess it would go with pretty much anything.

Gammon, pineapple, red cabbage, wedges & mushrooms with a fromage frais & mustard white sauce!
Gammon, Wedges & Mushrooms (Small).JPG

ASIAN FISH WRAPS - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

4 large fillets of flaky fish, e.g. Pollock, or 4 salmon fillets
A thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
4 tbsp. salt reduced light soy sauce
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 pak choi, finely sliced
2 spring onions, finely chopped
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Take 4 large pieces of foil, large enough to loosely encase each fillet. Spray one side of each piece with Frylight and spread it over the foil with a pastry brush.
Place a fillet of fish in the centre of each piece, bringing the sides of the foil up around the fish.
Top each fillet with the ginger, garlic, chilli and soy sauce, then fold over the foil to seal all the way round the fillet.
Put the parcels onto a baking tray and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Check the fish is properly cooked by flaking a little with a fork.
Towards the end of the cooking time for the fish, lightly sauté the pak choi in the sesame oil for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat.
Serve the fish on a bed of jasmine rice, alongside the pak choi, with the juices from the parcels poured over and garnished with the coriander and spring onions.

This is so easy but, really tasty!

SWEET STICKY GAMMON - Serves 4

2.5 Syns for the whole recipe

4 lean gammon steaks
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. mixed spice
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
1 orange
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
100ml hot chicken stock
2 tbsp. salt reduced dark soy sauce

Cut the gammon into large, bite-sized pieces.
Put the spices into a food bag and drop the gammon pieces in, shaking until coated with the spices.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and fry the gammon over a high heat for about 3 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
Finely grate the orange zest and squeeze out the juice.
Add this to a small pan, along with the honey, stock and soy sauce. Simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce becomes sticky.

Lovely served with SW chips and peas.

Thanks to Pete for his gammon recipe.

BOURSIN SPAGHETTI - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

2 cloves of garlic, crushed (preferably smoked garlic but normal will do, if not)
1 red onion, finely chopped
125g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 rashers of decent bacon, all visible fat removed
150g Boursin Light (preferably the Onion and Cheese variety) - 9 Syns
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, taken from HEX's, if you can spare it (it does finish it off well)
Enough dried spaghetti for 4 people

Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces and cook in a non-stick pan until slightly crisp. Set aside in a bowl.
Spray the pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. I usually start mine off in the microwave for a few minutes, with a splash of water, to help speed the softening process.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti until al dente.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add the mushrooms and cook until softened.
Add the cooked bacon and the Boursin and heating all the ingredients over a gentle heat, until the cheese melts down. Do NOT boil.
Check the taste, adding a little salt, if necessary (careful because of the bacon) and some black pepper, to taste.
When the spaghetti is cooked, drain the water off but save 5 tablespoonfuls.
Once drained, return the spaghetti to the pan and add 2 of the tbsp. of cooking water. This stops it sticking together (Jamie Oliver tip)!
If necessary, add the other 3 tbsp. of cooking water to the bacon mixture, to loosen it a little.
Toss the spaghetti and the bacon mixture together and serve on warmed plates, sprinkled with 2 tbsp. of grated Parmesan, if using.

Sheer heaven! :)

SPICY PILAU RICE - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving

240g wholegrain rice
1 tsp. oil - 2 Syns
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Half a stick of cinnamon
1 onion, finely diced
350g mixed veg. of your choice, frozen or fresh, chopped into 1cm dice. Roasted root veg are good.
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger
Half tsp. minced chilli
Pinch of turmeric

Soak the rice for 30 minutes in warm water. Rinse thoroughly and drain the water.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the cumin seeds and cinnamon. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the onion and sauté for about 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
Add the veg.
Add the turmeric, garlic, ginger, rice, 1 level tsp. salt and stir in 650ml of water.
Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.

Lovely with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt on the top. Also lovely served with fried (with Frylight, of course!) chicken pieces or prawns.

You really need the tiny amount of oil for this, instead of Frylight, as the cumin seeds cook much better in oil.

LEMON CHEESECAKE

Syn Free

250g Quark
3 medium eggs, separated
50ml lemon juice (can use Jif)
1 tbsp. gelatine powder
Sweetener

Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
Follow the pack instructions on how to dissolve the gelatine, as some vary.
Whisk the egg yolks and Quark, in a bowl, together. Place over a pan of simmering water and mix with an electric mixer until creamy.
Add the lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
Gradually pour in the dissolved gelatine and mix well.
Fold in the beaten egg whites carefully. Recheck the sweetness, carefully stirring in extra, if required.
Pour into a shallow dish and chill in the fridge until set. This can take a few hours.

Sometimes I make individual cheesecakes and make a base from two Alpen Light bars (HEX B), softened for about 3 mins in the microwave, before pressing down into the base of a bowl, with the back of a spoon.

Last edited:
Wowwww! Thanks for this! Cheesecake is my sweet weakness and this is just an amazing recipe!:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

CHOW MEIN - Serves 4-5

Syn Free

3 skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
8 tbsp. salt-reduced dark soy sauce
Half to one tbsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. Chinese 5 Spice
400g dried egg noodles
300g pack stir-fry veg
8 spring onions, sliced
225g can of water chestnuts, drained and sliced

Mix the red wine vinegar, garlic cloves, soy sauce, ginger and 5 Spice together.
Tip over the sliced chicken and stir. Marinade in the fridge for at least one hour.
Cook the noodles according to pack instructions and set aside.
Meanwhile, spray a pan with Frylight and cook the chicken over a medium-high heat for about five minutes.
Add all the veg, including the water chestnuts and cook for five minutes more.
Tip the noodles into the pan, pouring in the marinade juices and cook together over a high heat for a further five minutes, mixing everything together well.
Serve immediately.

The chorizo and beef chilli from this thread is one of my favourite meals. I make it in the slow cooker and it is just fantastic. Thank you!

Found this recipe in a Co-Op magazine and its really delicious! I had it with a grilled salmon fillet but assume it would work well with most other proteins.

New Potato, Asparagus and Radish salad - Serves 6

3 syns per serving.

750g new potatoes, washed with skins still on.
250g asparagus spears, trimmed.
200g fresh peas, shelled.
6 radishes, trimmed.
Large handful of mint, chopped (optional).
3tbsp olive oil - 18syns.
Juice of half a lemon.

- Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes until just cooked. Place aside.
- Halve the aspargus and steam for 3-4 minutes. Add peas and steam for a further 2-3 minutes until tender. Add to potatoes.
- Slice the radishes and add to the salad and mint (if using).
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil and pour over warm salad.
- Serve immediately whilst still warm.

Another co-op recipe!

Broad Bean Pilaf - serves 4

Syn FREE!

200g broad beans (can use fresh or tinned)
2 shallots or a small onion, chopped
150g bacon (make sure you remove the fat to keep it free!), diced
200g basmati rice
425ml hot veg stock

- Blanch broad beans for 5 mins. (if using fresh make sure you rinse with cold water and remove skins). Keep warm.
- Using frylight, fry shallots/ onion and bacon for 5 mins until shallots/ onion is softened (not browned)
- Stir in the rice and add the stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 12 minutes until the rice is cooked. Leave to stand for a few minutes so rice finishes absorbing all the stock.
- Fluff rice up and stir in the beans.

MOCHA BANANA ICE CREAM - Serves 2

7 Syns per serving - so, obviously for only when you have Syns to spare! :D

2 small frozen bananas - 8 Syns, when blitzed
1 tsp. instant coffee or espresso
Quarter tsp. ground cinnamon, if you like it
20g dark chocolate, finely chopped - 6 Syns

Remove the bananas from the freezer and leave for 5 minutes.
Peel, cut or break into chunks and put into a food processor. Pulse until the bananas are in small pieces, then blend until smooth, scraping the sides, when necessary.
Add the coffee, cinnamon and chocolate and blend until thoroughly mixed.
Serve immediately.

Back