Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Thank-you so much for such a lovely comment! I'm really glad you now feel more inspired to continue. :) You have actually done the same for me! I was wondering, yesterday, whether people had had enough of checking out new pictureless recipes and wondering if it was worth carrying on or not but you have now inspired me too! :D Happy cooking!

Kathy x

Noooo! Please dont stop!! If anything, sometimes I prefer no pictures with the recipes because I dont know if my dish looks right (so I dont worry that the flavour isnt there) and, if they dont look particularly appealing (for example I havent yet tried the big mac in a bowl SW recipe because the picture doesnt look too yummy... Although Im sure the flavour is amazing) I wont try them!!

Kathy, you are a lifesaver!

Thank-you all so much for the reassuring comments. :) I just know, when I'm looking through recipe books, I become quickly bored if there aren't any pictures. Never thought of looking at it in the way Lisa says! :D

Anyway, back to your salad dressing dilemma, celtic-chick. This is one I'd actually forgotten about. The only thing is, I can't say how long it'll last, as I tend to make it up as needed. Having said that, it's so quick and easy to do, that isn't a problem.

RED PEPPER SALAD DRESSING - Enough for two salads but quantities can easily be changed.

Syn Free

2 large roasted red peppers - either do your own in the oven with Frylight or use the equivalent from a jar, in brine (Free)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar - this just adds to it but doesn't overpower the flavour, celtic-chick! :D
Pinch of salt
Half a tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or half tsp. dried thyme

Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor and serve.

YOGHURT AND CHIVE DRESSING - Serves 8

0.5 Syn for the whole recipe

200g FF Greek yoghurt
1 dessertspoon lemon juice
1 level tsp. Dijon mustard - 0.5 Syn
Small handful of finely chopped parsley
Small handful of finely snipped fresh chives

Beat together the yoghurt and lemon juice until smooth.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and keep covered in fridge until ready to serve.

ORANGE SALAD DRESSING - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

4 tbsp. unsweetened orange juice - from a carton or freshly squeezed - negligible but approx. 0.5 - 1 Syn
2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar - Sorry, celtic-chick! :D
1 level tbsp. Dijon mustard - 1.5 Syns
1 level dessertspoon of runny honey - 2 Syns
Sprinkling of black pepper

Mix together all the ingredients until well combined.
Store in an air-tight container, in the fridge for up to a week.
Re-mix well before serving.

If you want this to stick to salad leaves (this tends to slide off), add in 1-3 tsp. of olive oil but don't forget to Syn it.

Also good used as a marinade for chicken or salmon.

BANANA PANCAKES - Serves 1

5 Syns, if counting the Syns for a mashed, cooked banana

1 medium very ripe banana
2 eggs, beaten

Mash the banana with a fork, then combine thoroughly with the beaten eggs.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight (Buttery, if poss). Fry over a low/medium heat and turn over once the edges look golden or when the centre starts to bubble.

A tablespoon of the batter should make a mini pancake, perfect for stacking.

If you some extra fluffiness in your pancakes, add a pinch of baking powder - 1 level tsp. = 0.5 Syn.

Could add some cinnamon or vanilla extract for extra flavour.

These pancakes need no added sugar/sweetener because of the natural sweetness of the ripe bananas.

Lovely served in a warm stack, topped with FF Greek yoghurt/fromage frais/crème fraiche and topped with berries.

This yummy recipe was taken from The Black Pearl Blog.

Loving the salad dressings! I always seem to struggle with lunches as I try to have a salad (want to get a large portion of veg incase I dont have too much with my dinner!) but find them very samey :(

Loving the low syn desert recipes as well- at a certain time of the month I always crave sweetness and used to indulge in a whole tub of Ben and Jerrys!!

Glad you like them, Lisa and thanks for the alternate way of looking at things! :D

P.S. Know what you mean about the B+J's!!

Kathy x

LAMB AND QUINOA BURGERS - Serves 4

1 Syn for the whole recipe, if not using pine nuts. Otherwise, 2.5 Syns per serving.

100g quinoa
400g extra lean minced lamb - I always get my butcher to mince me the leanest piece he has.
2 level tsp. harissa paste - 1 Syn
1 tbsp. tomato puree
25g toasted pine nuts, optional - 9 Syns

Put the quinoa and 300ml cold water into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Allow to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, mix the lamb, harissa, tomato puree and pine nuts (if using) together.
Stir in the slightly cooled quinoa and divide into 8 burger shapes. Press down slightly with your hand.
Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the burgers, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.

These are gorgeous served on warmed, wholemeal pittas (if you have Syns to spare), stuffed with crunchy salad. Otherwise, we like them served with a jacket potato, filled with HEX cheese and a huge side salad.

WARM BACON, MUSTARD AND POTATO SALAD - Serves 2

3.5 Syns per serving (but worth it!), if using the cheese as part HEX's

250g baby new potatoes - halved if quite large
4 rashers of smoked back bacon, all visible fat removed
Half a bunch of spring onions, chopped
25g cheese, crumbled or grated - Cheddar is good
1 tbsp. oil, preferably olive or rapeseed - have tried without but it isn't good! - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 level tsp. wholegrain mustard - 1 Syn

Cook the potatoes until tender, then drain and cool slightly.
Meanwhile, grill the bacon until crisp, then snip into small pieces and add to the potatoes, along with the spring onions and cheese.
Mix together the oil, vinegar and mustard and toss into the potato mixture. Season to taste and serve whilst the potatoes are still warm.

THAI TURKEY BURGERS - Serves 4

Syns are negligible

500g extra lean turkey mince
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
2 level tsp. Thai curry paste - Sharwoods Green = 0.5 Syns per 1 tbsp., Sharwoods Red = 1 Syn per tbsp.

Mix all the ingredients together. Season to taste.
Divide and mould into 4 burgers.
Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the burgers for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally until golden and cooked through.

Obviously, add more curry paste, if you prefer.

Lovely served on HEX wholemeal rolls with fresh coriander and a little mayo. (especially with a side of SW wedges).

THAI TURKEY BURGERS - Serves 4

Syns are negligible

500g extra lean turkey mince
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
2 level tsp. Thai curry paste - Sharwoods Green = 0.5 Syns per 1 tbsp., Sharwoods Red = 1 Syn per tbsp.

Mix all the ingredients together. Season to taste.
Divide and mould into 4 burgers.
Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the burgers for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally until golden and cooked through.

Obviously, add more curry paste, if you prefer.

Lovely served on HEX wholemeal rolls with fresh coriander and a little mayo. (especially with a side of SW wedges).

Oooh,this is right up my street :)

LEMON PRAWN PASTA - Serves 1

2 Syns

75g tagliatelle
100g deveined and shelled prawns
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil - 2 Syns
Finely grated zest of quarter - half small lemon, to taste
Garlic flakes (preferably roasted), to taste
Chilli flakes, to taste or finely chopped red chilli, to taste

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
To make the dressing, mix the lemon juice and olive oil together until the dressing emulsifies.
Add the zest, garlic flakes, chilli flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
Add the prawns to the pasta for the last minute of cooking.
Toss the prawns and pasta with the dressing and serve immediately.

ETON MESS - Serves 2

3.5 Syns per serving

1 small pot of FF fromage frais
2 tbsp. Quark
Sweetener to taste
Fresh fruit
1 level tsp. lemon curd - 1 Syn
2 meringue nests - 6 Syns
Finely grated zest of one small lemon

Stir the fromage frais, Quark, lemon zest and sweetener together in a mixing bowl.
Add the chopped, fresh fruit, reserving some for decoration, into the mixture.
Put the lemon curd into a cup and microwave for several seconds until it turns to liquid.
Stir gently into the Fromage frais mix, trying not to break the fruit up. Chill until needed.
Immediately prior to serving, crumble the meringue nests into smallish chunks and stir gently through the mixture.
Divide between two dishes and garnish with the reserved fruit. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
CHOCOLATE BUNS - Serves 6

2 Syns per cake

125g Quark
9 tbsp. sweetener
3 sachets Options orange drink - 9 Syns (may have over-Synned as couldn't find these Syns on-line).
2 drops of vanilla extract
4 medium eggs
2 level tbsp. cocoa powder - 3 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
To make the creamy filling, whisk together the Quark, 1 tbsp. of the sweetener, 1 sachet of Options and the vanilla extract. Chill in the fridge until required.
Whisk the eggs and remaining sweetener together until thick and creamy.
Sieve in the cocoa powder and the remaining Options sachets. Fold gently into the egg mixture, using a metal spoon.
Divide the mixture between 12 cake cases and bake on the top shelf of the oven for 10 minutes, or until firm.
Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
Once cool, remove from the paper cases and sandwich together with the creamy filling.

This recipe is from allrecipes. I must admit, I haven't yet tried it out but I definitely will be doing, sometime in the near future!

Back