Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

BRUNCH OMELETTE - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using the oil (which definitely improves the potatoes)

1 tbsp. oil - rapeseed is good - 6 Syns
6 rashers of unsmoked back bacon
200g mushrooms, sliced
100g cooked baby new potatoes, thickly sliced
4 medium eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. semi-skimmed milk - taken from allowance
1 tomato, diced

Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan (approx. 20cm diameter) and fry the bacon for 2 minutes (or grill).
Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes, then stir in the potato slices and cook until golden.
Whisk the eggs and milk together, season and pour into the pan. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes, loosening the edges with a spatula.
Place under a pre-heated grill for 2-3 minutes, adding the tomato for the last minute. Cook until golden and cooked through.

If you like, you could grate some HEX grated cheese over before grilling.

I can't have enough of your recipes!It looks so easy to make and if feels like we are not on a diet!So thank you,for all the work you put into this ? x

Pete’s Bfree pastie (2014)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Egg, whipped (ff)
2 Tbsp. Black pepper
4 ASDA Bfree Multigrain wraps (4Heb/4=1 Heb per person)
175g Potatoes, finely chopped (ff)
175g Swede, finely chopped (s) (sff)
350g Chuck steak, chopped to mince (ff)

Method

Chop the meat until it resembles mince, or pass through a food processor, place in a glass bowl.
Add the other ingredients & mix well. Season with the pepper.
In a deep saucepan, cook the ingredients until the meat is cooked & the veg is done.
Using one wrap, place a quarter of the mix on the centre of it, fold the wrap to resemble a pastie, using cocktail sticks, hold the wrap in place, coat with egg wash & place on an oven tray covered with greaseproof paper.
Preheat the oven to 165C & cook for 20 mins or until nicely browned.
Bfree (Small).JPGPastie-1 (Small).JPGPastie-2 (Small).JPGPastie-3 (Small).JPGPastie-4 (Small).JPG

Thank-you so much for such a lovely comment! I'm really glad you now feel more inspired to continue. :) You have actually done the same for me! I was wondering, yesterday, whether people had had enough of checking out new pictureless recipes and wondering if it was worth carrying on or not but you have now inspired me too! :D Happy cooking!

Kathy x

Carry on Kathy. Pictures are nice but really do not matter at all. Carry on as you are. Love looking to see what is next. So much choice.

Doreen x

• [h=1]Chopped Taco Salad With Shrimp[/h]
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 4 ounces shrimp, 1 tortilla, and about 2 cups salad)[h=3]Nutritional Information[/h]
    Calories per serving:362
    Fat per serving:20.5g
    Saturated fat per serving:3.8g
    Monounsaturated fat per serving:11.6g
    Polyunsaturated fat per serving:2.4g
    Protein per serving:21g
    Carbohydrates per serving:31g
    Fiber per serving:9g
    Cholesterol per serving:150mg
    Iron per serving:2mg
    Sodium per serving:857mg
    Calcium per serving:232mg

• Cooking spray
  • 2 lemons, thinly sliced
  • 2 limes, thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 ounces romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
  • 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1 large ripe tomato, diced
  • 1 diced peeled avocado
  • 1 ounce Cotija cheese
[h=3]Preparation[/h]1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat; coat lightly with cooking spray. Quickly grill the citrus slices in batches, just until browned (about 1 minute per side); transfer to a cutting board, and finely chop. Transfer citrus to a medium bowl with any collected juices. Add the oregano, olive oil, salt, and pepper; mash with the back of a spoon to combine. Divide dressing in half.
2. Arrange lettuce on a serving platter; lightly coat the grill again. Grill the shrimp, in batches, until opaque, brushing with half of the lemon-lime dressing (about 2 minutes per side); transfer to the platter. Warm the tortillas on the grill until slightly charred (about 1 minute per side), brushing lightly with some of the remaining dressing; transfer to the platter.
3. Stir diced tomato into remaining lemon-lime dressing. Arrange avocado on the platter. Crumble the cheese over the salad; drizzle with remaining dressing.

[h=1]Shrimp à la Grecque[/h]
  • Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes; Total time: 25 minutes.
  • Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
[h=3]Nutritional Information[/h]
Calories per serving:286
Fat per serving:13g
Saturated fat per serving:5g
Monounsaturated fat per serving:6g
Polyunsaturated fat per serving:1g
Protein per serving:31g
Carbohydrates per serving:6g
Fiber per serving:1g
Cholesterol per serving:271mg
Iron per serving:5mg
Sodium per serving:604mg
Calcium per serving:174mg

[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
  • 3 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
[h=3]Preparation[/h]1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until garlic colors, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, wine, 1 tablespoon parsley, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until sauce is the thickness of a light purée, stirring occasionally.
2. Add shrimp; cook until shrimp turn pink (about 5 minutes). Add feta, stirring gently (try to keep cheese from crumbling too much). Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve hot.

[h=1]Watermelon, Feta, and Grilled Shrimp Salad[/h]
  • rep: 20 minutes; Cook: 4 minutes.
  • Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 6 shrimp, 1/4 of the watermelon mixture, and 1 cup arugula)
[h=3]Nutritional Information[/h]
Calories per serving:273
Fat per serving:13g
Saturated fat per serving:5g
Monounsaturated fat per serving:6g
Polyunsaturated fat per serving:1g
Protein per serving:23g
Carbohydrates per serving:17g
Fiber per serving:1g
Cholesterol per serving:193mg
Iron per serving:4mg
Sodium per serving:728mg
Calcium per serving:223mg
[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (21–25 count)
  • 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint, divided
  • 4 cups arugula
  • 8 (4-inch) seedless watermelon wedges
  • 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
[h=3]Preparation[/h]1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
2. Toss shrimp with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Lightly spray grill or grill pan with olive oil spray, and cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Transfer shrimp to a plate to cool.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and more pepper to taste. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. In a medium bowl, combine red onion and 2 tablespoons mint. Add dressing, and toss gently. To serve, place 1 cup arugula on each of 4 plates and top with 2 melon wedges and 1/4 of the onion-mint mixture; sprinkle with equal amounts of feta, top with about 6 shrimp, and garnish with some of the remaining fresh mint. Serve immediately.

Pete’s Bfree pastie (2014)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Egg, whipped (ff)
2 Tbsp. Black pepper
4 ASDA Bfree Multigrain wraps (4Heb/4=1 Heb per person)
175g Potatoes, finely chopped (ff)
175g Swede, finely chopped (s) (sff)
350g Chuck steak, chopped to mince (ff)

Method

Chop the meat until it resembles mince, or pass through a food processor, place in a glass bowl.
Add the other ingredients & mix well. Season with the pepper.
In a deep saucepan, cook the ingredients until the meat is cooked & the veg is done.
Using one wrap, place a quarter of the mix on the centre of it, fold the wrap to resemble a pastie, using cocktail sticks, hold the wrap in place, coat with egg wash & place on an oven tray covered with greaseproof paper.
Preheat the oven to 165C & cook for 20 mins or until nicely browned.
View attachment 140936View attachment 140937View attachment 140938View attachment 140939View attachment 140940

Thank you for this Bilsat!, these look lovely I will defiantly be trying these. What did you serve with them?

Thank-you all so much for the reassuring comments. :) I just know, when I'm looking through recipe books, I become quickly bored if there aren't any pictures. Never thought of looking at it in the way Lisa says! :D

Anyway, back to your salad dressing dilemma, celtic-chick. This is one I'd actually forgotten about. The only thing is, I can't say how long it'll last, as I tend to make it up as needed. Having said that, it's so quick and easy to do, that isn't a problem.

RED PEPPER SALAD DRESSING - Enough for two salads but quantities can easily be changed.

Syn Free

2 large roasted red peppers - either do your own in the oven with Frylight or use the equivalent from a jar, in brine (Free)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar - this just adds to it but doesn't overpower the flavour, celtic-chick! :D
Pinch of salt
Half a tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or half tsp. dried thyme

Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor and serve.

I tried this for dinner today. Instead of pouring it over a salad,I heated it & poured over some pasta & chicken. It was yummy. Thanks again Kathy.

I can't have enough of your recipes!It looks so easy to make and if feels like we are not on a diet!So thank you,for all the work you put into this ? x

Thank-you so much, simonika. It's comments like yours, especially after a rubbish day at work, that makes adding the recipes worthwhile. It definitely put a smile on my face when I logged on. :)

Kathy x

Carry on Kathy. Pictures are nice but really do not matter at all. Carry on as you are. Love looking to see what is next. So much choice.

Doreen x

Aw, thanks Doreen. I just wonder sometimes, especially when you see all Pete's lovely pics but I do feel more reassured now. :) Thanks once again, too, for all the hard work you put in with doing the index for me. That's really appreciated by myself and, I'm sure, by lots of other people.

Kathy x

CHICKEN SALAD WITH A CITRUS AND CHILLI DRESSING - Serves 2

1.5 - 3.5 Syns per serving, depending on whether you use peanuts or not.

2 skinless, cooked and shredded chicken breasts
Half a cucumber, deseeded and diced
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp. fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
The juice of 3 limes
1 tbsp. fish sauce (Blue Dragon nam pla is Free)
1 level tbsp. soft brown sugar - 3 Syns
10 peanuts, roughly chopped or crushed with a wooden rolling pin - 4 Syns

Put the shredded chicken in a salad bowl, along with the cucumber, shallot, herbs and chilli.
In another bowl, mix together the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Pour half the dressing over the salad and mix gently.
Serve on top of some crunchy salad leaves, with the chopped nuts sprinkled over and with the remaining dressing on the side.

We had this with some baby jacket potatoes stuffed with HEX mature Cheddar the other lunch time but have had it with a serving of crusty HEX bread, in the past. If I have any fresh ginger handy, I stir 1 tsp. of it, freshly grated, along with the fish sauce and lime juice. Must admit, I like it even more with ginger added but realise not everyone is a fan!

CHILLI CRAB PASTA - Serves 2

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

225g dried spaghetti
1 tin of crab meat or equivalent weight fresh crab meat, flaked
3 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 4.5 Syns
200g chopped tomatoes
Half - one tsp. dried chilli flakes (optional)

Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions, until al dente. Drain, reserving half a cup of cooking water.
Put the spaghetti, water and all the other ingredients back into the pan and heat through for about 5 minutes.
Serve on warmed plates.

Lovely garnished with finely chopped basil leaves and sprinkled with HEX grated cheese. A really fast and tasty lunch-time dish! :)

Made the banana oat cookies, they're a hit with me and DH and I've had to pass the recipe on to friends! Can't wait till my little one is old enough for them too. Thanks xxx

Thanks so much, SunshineSlimmer! Your comment really brought a smile to my face! I'd only just logged on again to add another recipe when I saw it! :) Really glad you enjoyed it. I haven't made it for ages so might add to my menu list for next week. Thanks for letting me know how you got on.

Kathy x

CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE PASTA - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving

2 cups of small pasta shapes
2 level tbsp. sun-dried tomato paste - Nando's with Basil Peri Peri is 1 Syn per tbsp.
400g skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
One and a half tsp. of any Italian seasoning, or dried mixed herbs
Chopped mushrooms - amount, to taste
4 large tomatoes, chopped
Frozen peas or peas and sweetcorn, to taste
Large handful of baby spinach leaves

Cook the pasta until tender. Drain and toss in the pesto, then set aside.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight. Toss the chicken strips in the Italian seasoning and cook until lightly golden and cooked through. Add to the pasta.
Re-spray the pan and cook the vegetables, minus the spinach, until lightly cooked through.
Return the chicken and pasta to the pan. Add the spinach and heat through, until the spinach wilts.
Adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Love this with HEX Parmesan shavings sprinkled over.

I sometimes add more pesto and just alter the Syns. This is one of those recipes you can quickly throw together after work but that still tastes good.

BANANA PANCAKES - Serves 1 5 Syns, if counting the Syns for a mashed, cooked banana 1 medium very ripe banana 2 eggs, beaten Mash the banana with a fork, then combine thoroughly with the beaten eggs. Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight (Buttery, if poss). Fry over a low/medium heat and turn over once the edges look golden or when the centre starts to bubble. A tablespoon of the batter should make a mini pancake, perfect for stacking. If you some extra fluffiness in your pancakes, add a pinch of baking powder - 1 level tsp. = 0.5 Syn. Could add some cinnamon or vanilla extract for extra flavour. These pancakes need no added sugar/sweetener because of the natural sweetness of the ripe bananas. Lovely served in a warm stack, topped with FF Greek yoghurt/fromage frais/crème fraiche and topped with berries. This yummy recipe was taken from The Black Pearl Blog.
these sound lovely, will definatley be giving them a go x

Back