Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98

CREAMY MUSHROOM AND SPINACH TAGLIATELLE - Serves 4

Either 2 Syns per serving or Syn Free, if using the Philly as HEX's (110g of Philadelphia Lightest = 1 HEX A

250g dried tagliatelle or other pasta
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
800g mushrooms, thinly sliced
250g frozen peas or peas and sweet-corn
250g baby spinach
200g Philadelphia Lightest cream cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg- preferably or could use dried

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving 3tbsp of the water. Return the drained pasta and the reserved water to the pan.
Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and place over a medium/high heat.
Cook the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring for 5-7 minutes or until all the liquid has cooked off.
Add the spinach and peas to the frying pan and stir over a low heat until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is warmed through.
Add the cream cheese and season with a little black pepper and nutmeg. Warm through and stir the sauce into the pasta.

This sounds delish! Cant wait to try it out!!

Yes, it is really tasty, Lisa and easy too! Hope you enjoy it if you give it a go. Hope you're enjoying your weekend! :)

Kathy x

CORIANDER CHICKEN - Serves 4

Syn Free

200g FF Greek yoghurt
1 handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp. medium-hot curry powder
4 large, skinless chicken breasts
250g baby new potatoes, halved

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Put the potato halves into a roasting tin, spray well with Frylight, sprinkle with 1 tbsp. of the curry powder and put into the oven.
Meanwhile, put the yoghurt, chopped coriander and the remaining curry powder into a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and mix together well.
Add the chicken pieces, covering well. You can do this hours, or the night, before so the chicken can marinate more.
Put the coated chicken into a roasting tin and put in the middle of the oven, moving the potatoes to the top shelf, for 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through and lightly charred.

Serve with some green veg or side salad. Lovely with some lemon juice squirted over.

Sometimes, if I have Syns to spare, I use 1 tbsp. of olive oil to cook the potatoes in and, I must admit, they do cook better like this.

CHICKEN WITH TOMATO AND GARLIC - Serves 4

Syn Free

8 skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp. red or white wine vinegar
300g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
100ml chicken stock
3 sprigs of fresh thyme or basil
4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Half a tsp. paprika
2 pinches of sweetener

Spray a large non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and fry over a medium heat until brown all over. Remove the chicken to a plate.
Pour the vinegar into the pan and cook until reduced by half, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula.
Add the tomatoes, stock, thyme, garlic, paprika and sweetener. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and return the chicken to the pan. Cover and cook gently for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
Remove the chicken and keep warm.
Remove the sprigs of thyme and tip the ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth.
Season to taste, then pour over the chicken.

Great served with pasta.

FISH CURRY - Serves 4

5 Syns per serving

700g skinned and boned fish - I use haddock - cut into 3cm chunks
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
5 heaped tsp. mild curry powder
6 spring onions, finely chopped
3cm piece of ginger, grated
400ml Blue Dragon Light coconut milk - 14.5 Syns
250ml chicken stock or water
Half a cucumber, peeled, seeded and thickly sliced - optional
1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped

Heat a the oil in a pan over a low heat.
Add the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
Add the spring onions and ginger and cook for a further minute.
Pour in the coconut milk, stock or water and bring to the boil.
Add the fish and cucumber, if using, and continue to simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
Add the chopped coriander and season with salt and black pepper.

Lovely served with boiled rice.

I have tried it without the oil, using Frylight instead, but it is too dry when stirring in the curry powder so you'll have to save the recipe for when you have Syns to spare. :)

SAUSAGE AND PEPPER RAGU - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving, if using cheese as part HEX's

8 BGTY sausages - 4 Syns
1 red onion, finely chopped
Pinch of dried chillies
150ml dry white wine - 6-8 Syns
250g Quark
50g grated Parmesan
600g dried tagliatelle
Bunch of parsley, chopped
2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight.
Heat over a medium/low heat. Remove the sausage meat from the skins and fry.
When it starts to take on some colour, add the dried chilli.
Add the onion and garlic and continue to fry until softening.
Add the peppers and cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions, adding seasoning to the water.
Pour the wine into the sausage pan. Bring to the boil and reduce the liquid down.
Drain the pasta and add to the frying pan.
Add the Quark, Parmesan and chopped parsley.
Season with salt and black pepper and stir well before serving.

This recipe is based on one by The Fabulous Baker Boys.

subscribing so I remember to read through this later - looks like an awesome resource thanks everyone :)

PEPPER CHICKEN WITH SWEET POTATO WEDGES - Serves 4

Syn Free

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
Paprika
400g can of chopped tomatoes

Spray a baking tray well with Frylight, then space the wedges out on the tray, not too close together and spray well again with Frylight. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Towards the end of the potato cooking time, spray a large non-stick frying pan with Frylight and cook the chicken until browned on all sides.
When the chicken breasts are cooked through, transfer to a baking dish, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Whilst the chicken is in the oven, re-spray the frying pan with Frylight and cook the onion until soft.
Add the crushed garlic and stir in the peppers. Cook until softened, then stir in a tsp. of the paprika and the can of tomatoes.
Stir well until it is all heated through.
Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken breasts. Bake for another 15 minutes, without the foil.
Serve on warmed plates with the potato wedges and a green veg.

Also tasty with HEX cheese grated over.

wow a huge amount of recipes here! no more constantly eating the same things for me!

OVEN-DRIED POTATO CRISPS - Makes 25-35g

Syn Free

200g potato (one medium to large)
150ml malt or cider vinegar (use just water for plain crisps)
A little fine salt

Pre-heat the oven to the lowest setting - the recipe said 120C but, if you're using gas, 140C = Gas 1 so it'll be the low, low setting beneath that!
Line two baking trays with non-stick baking parchment, otherwise the crisps will stick.
Mix the salt with the vinegar or the same amount of water (for plain).
Scrub the potatoes well and leave unpeeled.
Cut into paper thin slices using a mandolin, preferably. I sometimes use the slicer on my hand held cheese grater and it does work but isn't as easy as a mandolin.
Place the potato slices into a bowl, pour the liquid over and soak for 10 minutes. The slices should be covered by the liquid. If they aren't quite covered, weight them down with something like a plate or saucer.
After soaking, drain the slices well, shaking off any excess liquid. Lay the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets.
Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the sheets round, swap the shelves they're on and bake for a further 15 to 30 minutes until crisp. Because ovens and potato thickness can vary, check them from time to time.

I know this might sound a bit drawn out for a few crisps but I usually pop them in after I've cooked something and the oven has cooled sufficiently. Can't remember where I found this recipe but, glad I did! :D

OVEN-DRIED POTATO CRISPS - Makes 25-35g

Syn Free

200g potato (one medium to large)
150ml malt or cider vinegar (use just water for plain crisps)
A little fine salt

Pre-heat the oven to the lowest setting - the recipe said 120C but, if you're using gas, 140C = Gas 1 so it'll be the low, low setting beneath that!
Line two baking trays with non-stick baking parchment, otherwise the crisps will stick.
Mix the salt with the vinegar or the same amount of water (for plain).
Scrub the potatoes well and leave unpeeled.
Cut into paper thin slices using a mandolin, preferably. I sometimes use the slicer on my hand held cheese grater and it does work but isn't as easy as a mandolin.
Place the potato slices into a bowl, pour the liquid over and soak for 10 minutes. The slices should be covered by the liquid. If they aren't quite covered, weight them down with something like a plate or saucer.
After soaking, drain the slices well, shaking off any excess liquid. Lay the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets.
Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the sheets round, swap the shelves they're on and bake for a further 15 to 30 minutes until crisp. Because ovens and potato thickness can vary, check them from time to time.

I know this might sound a bit drawn out for a few crisps but I usually pop them in after I've cooked something and the oven has cooled sufficiently. Can't remember where I found this recipe but, glad I did! :D

I like the sound of these. I must give them a try.

Good to see you back Kathy!

Hope your brief absence was because you were doing something nice!!

Thanks, Lisa! Just been really busy. :) Am off to Liverpool for the weekend, with my daughter, though so may be absent again but, for a very nice reason! Hotel and clothes shopping (for her)! :D

Kathy xx

CRISPY POTATO SKINS - Serves 4 as a snack

9 Syns altogether, if using cheese as part HEX's (if using at all)

6-8 medium sized potatoes
1.5 tbsp. olive oil - 9 Syns
Approx. 50g hard cheese, grated (Cheddar is good) - optional

Line two baking trays with non-stick baking parchment.
Wash the potatoes and peel thickly. You could use the flesh of the potatoes for mash, etc.
Toss the skins in the oil and a little coarse salt. Spread out on the baking trays.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skins have crisped up, then sprinkle with the cheese, if using.
Return to the oven for a further 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts.

If you like, you could sprinkle the skins with a little chilli powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, etc.

Thanks, celtic-chick. :) Think I'll have sore feet by the end of it but it should be good. Not sure about the healthy eating bit though! :D x

Back