Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Yes, great thanks, apart from we have a new Head at our school, who we were hoping was going to be better than the last. Out of the frying pan into the VERY HOT fire springs to mind! Still, at least I'm only a humble Teaching Assistant so duly get ignored by him! Poor teachers! :( Let's hope the new arrival makes an early appearance! How exciting for you - lots of cuddles to look forward to! xx

Ohhh that doesnt sound good!! I feel sorry for everyone if thats the attitude hes come in with, he will pi$$ a lot of people off!

I know I cant wait hun, shes doing everything to bring him on lol old wives tales like fresh pineapple, spicy food haha x

The recipe serves 4 if made into walnut size meatballs
152186d1409678543t-whats-tea-tonight-image-2346197340.jpg

500g ex lean minced beef
2 tsp ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp fennel seeds ( made this loads and never used these its fine without)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp curry powder
500g passata or liquidised tomatoes
fat free yogurt ( I used Total 0%)
salt and pepper

In a bowl - mix the mince, ginger,fennel,cinnamon,salt and pepper,and chilli. Mould into meatballs and set aside. ( you can make them walnut size I make mine a little bigger as they are only 2 of us).

Place turmeric,curry powder and passata into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the meatballs and simmer for 15-20 mins turning a couple of times until cooked. Remove from heat and then serve.
I used plain boiled rice (will use jasmine next time for a change) then garnish with yogurt. I sprinkled a little dried mint onto mine for effect.

Last edited:
CHILLI AND CORIANDER BURGERS - Makes 4

Syn Free

1 small red onion, finely chopped
500g extra lean minced beef
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 egg, beaten with a fork
Small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
4 rashers of bacon (or more), all visible fat removed

Put the onion, minced beef, chilli, egg and the coriander into a bowl, with a generous pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper. Mix together well with your hands.
Form into 4 burger shapes and put onto a plate. Cover with cling-film and put into the fridge for 30 minutes.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and cook the burgers over a medium heat for about 10 minutes each side, pressing them down into the pan with a spatula.
Meanwhile, grill the bacon until crisp.
Check the burgers are thoroughly cooked through before serving.

Lovely served on HEX bread rolls, with salad and SW spicy wedges. Also good with Synned salsa, mayo or chutney.

This is based on a Greedy Girls recipe.

Last edited:
Mmm! Thanks, Sheila, that sounds delicious! Definitely going to try! We're off on a residential trip (minus the Head, thank God) for four days next week so will be shattered when I get back! Could do with something nice and easy for next Friday and this certainly fits the bill!

Ha ha! Tell her to get jogging! All the best - not long now! :)

Kathy xx

Mmm! Thanks, Sheila, that sounds delicious! Definitely going to try! We're off on a residential trip (minus the Head, thank God) for four days next week so will be shattered when I get back! Could do with something nice and easy for next Friday and this certainly fits the bill!

Ha ha! Tell her to get jogging! All the best - not long now! :)

Kathy xx

Its a fave in this house with hubby and so easy and quick to make hun I hope you enjoy it.

I hope all goes well whilst your away - take care xx

BUTTER BEAN, PAPRIKA AND CHORIZO - Serves 4-6

10 Syns for the whole recipe

150g diced chorizo - 10 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1.5 tsp. sweet or hot, smoked paprika
400g tin cherry tomatoes
2x400g tins butter beans, drained
230g roasted red peppers, sliced
Bacon, all visible fat removed

Fry the chorizo over a medium heat until crisp and brown. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
Fry the onion until golden. Add the garlic, rosemary and paprika and fry for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes, butter beans and peppers.
Half fill the tomato tin with water and add to the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the 'sauce' thickens.
Add the chorizo, warm through. Crumble the crisp bacon over just prior to serving.

Serve with HEX toast or with rice. Tasty with HEX cheese grated over.

Could use different beans and omit the bacon for a veggie recipe.

HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN - Serves 4

5.5 Syns for the whole recipe

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (could use 4 breasts but thighs have more flavour)
2 onions, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
350g parsnips, cut into chunks (could do half and half with carrots or substitute a different veg)
300ml vegetable stock
2 level tbsp. wholegrain mustard - 3 Syns
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
Few sprigs of thyme

Spray a large, hob to oven casserole dish well with Frylight and brown the chicken on all sides. Set aside.
Re-spray, if necessary and cook the onions and garlic until softened. Maybe start them off in the microwave to speed this up.
Push the thighs down into the onions and add the parsnips.
Mix the stock together with the mustard and honey, then pour over the chicken.
Scatter the thyme over the mixture, season, then bring to a simmer.
Cover the dish and cook for 30 minutes, before transferring to a pre-heated oven, 180C/Gas 4 for half an hour.
Return to the hob for a further 30 minutes, removing the lid, if necessary, to thicken the sauce.

Lovely served with sweet potato mash and a variety of fresh veg.

Obviously, you can add in more or different veg, as this recipe is really versatile.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98.

CURRY QUINOA AND CHICKEN - Serves 2

Syn Free

ALWAYS rinse quinoa under cold running water before cooking, otherwise it has a bitter taste.

1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
170g quinoa
500ml chicken stock
1 tbsp. curry powder or, to taste
Chilli powder to taste
Shredded cooked chicken

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and place over a medium heat.
Cook the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is beginning to soften.
Add the thoroughly rinsed quinoa and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted (about 5 minutes).
Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and add the chilli and curry powders.
Cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender - about 25 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and stir through the chicken.

This is lovely with some roasted veg added too. Without the chicken it's also good as a side dish.

Last edited:
I'm off on a residential trip tomorrow for four days, with 60 Year 6's so will post when I return (if I'm still alive!!). :S

Kathy xx

Aww, thanks everyone! Back!!! Thank God! Totally shattered! Loads of activities - sailing, abseiling (Not me!), canoeing, orienteering, raft building and, hopefully, floating! Very strenuous and hardly any sleep! I was in the girls building and they were SO much worse at bedtime than the boys. We even ended up putting a mattress in the corridor, outside all the staff bedrooms, warning they would be moved there if they continued running around (one without any clothes on) and calling out to each other! Gorgeous weather though and all set in beautiful North Wales.

Now I'm back but my daughter is leaving home tomorrow to move up to Aberdeen for a Uni course so just know I'll be in a state! Already been in tears just talking about it! She is 27 but I'll still hate it without her! :(

Oh well - once I've recovered from both traumas, I'll start posting some new recipes! :) Just need my lovely bed tonight, after the joy of three nights on a camp bed!! :D

Kathy xx

Aww, thanks everyone! Back!!! Thank God! Totally shattered! Loads of activities - sailing, abseiling (Not me!), canoeing, orienteering, raft building and, hopefully, floating! Very strenuous and hardly any sleep! I was in the girls building and they were SO much worse at bedtime than the boys. We even ended up putting a mattress in the corridor, outside all the staff bedrooms, warning they would be moved there if they continued running around (one without any clothes on) and calling out to each other! Gorgeous weather though and all set in beautiful North Wales. Now I'm back but my daughter is leaving home tomorrow to move up to Aberdeen for a Uni course so just know I'll be in a state! Already been in tears just talking about it! She is 27 but I'll still hate it without her! :( Oh well - once I've recovered from both traumas, I'll start posting some new recipes! :) Just need my lovely bed tonight, after the joy of three nights on a camp bed!! :D Kathy xx

Had to laugh at the naughty girls, brings back memories of what me and my friends got up to whilst away from home :).
Hope all goes well with your daughter. It is hard when they move out. X

Actually, I can just imagine you behaving like that, Sookie, judging by your photo!! :D Lol! Thanks for the best wishes regarding my daughter. We were lucky and had one extra day with her, as she decided to travel up today instead. She sent me a text about one and a half hours ago to say she's arrived safely so that's good to know. Held it together quite well, actually! :)

Hope you've had a good weekend, Sookie. :) xx

The trip sounds..... erm, challenging?! lol. Glad you're home in one piece. Hope tomorrow isn't too traumatic for you. Just thank heavens for phones and computers, at least keeping in touch is a lot easier these days :)

Thanks for the lovely message, Cloudy. Yes, as you say, I'll be able to keep in touch with her easily. :) x

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO CASSEROLE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

185g diced chorizo - 12 Syns
4 large, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 red onions, finely chopped
3 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Small handful of finely chopped thyme leaves
400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400ml hot chicken stock
Large bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Spray a large, non-stick pan or casserole dish well with Frylight. Brown the chicken all over, then remove to a plate.
Fry the chorizo in the pan/casserole dish, until it starts to release its oils and begins to crisp up a little. Set aside with the chicken.
Add the onions and peppers to the oils and gently fry until soft, stirring from time to time. This usually takes about 20 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and thyme and fry for 5 minutes.
Add the butter beans, tomatoes, stock, chicken and chorizo to the casserole, pushing the chicken pieces well down.
Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for an hour, stirring occasionally and adding a little water, if necessary.
Check the seasoning and stir the parsley through, prior to serving.

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO CASSEROLE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

185g diced chorizo - 12 Syns
4 large, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 red onions, finely chopped
3 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Small handful of finely chopped thyme leaves
400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400ml hot chicken stock
Large bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Spray a large, non-stick pan or casserole dish well with Frylight. Brown the chicken all over, then remove to a plate.
Fry the chorizo in the pan/casserole dish, until it starts to release its oils and begins to crisp up a little. Set aside with the chicken.
Add the onions and peppers to the oils and gently fry until soft, stirring from time to time. This usually takes about 20 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and thyme and fry for 5 minutes.
Add the butter beans, tomatoes, stock, chicken and chorizo to the casserole, pushing the chicken pieces well down.
Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for an hour, stirring occasionally and adding a little water, if necessary.
Check the seasoning and stir the parsley through, prior to serving.

sounds lovely

Back