depo jag/TOTM gain (sorry if it's TMI)...

Sneeze

Silver Member
So I know I'm not meant to do it but I weighed myself today, a day early from my official WI (I only do it online so weigh myself at home...).

I've weighed in at 2lbs heaver than last week and am absolutely gutted. :(

I've had a not great weekend (bit of birthday cake on Friday, special chow mein from the Chinese on Saturday and a bowl of pasta last night) but still have 20 weekly points left over. :( I even overpointed the special chow mein because I'm convinced it can't just be 9pp.

But the thing I wondered is, could it be TOTM even if I'm on depo? I'm not having periods while on it but wondered if I could still bloat/get water weight? Or could it just be the pasta sitting in my stomach from last night? :eek:

I know it sounds like I'm trying to make excuses but to gain 2lbs, don't I have to have eaten like 6000 extra calories?? If I had I would definitely have had a more fun week than I did!!

Last edited:
Depo and any contracpetive for that fact makes you're body think its pregnant ( as im sure you are aware) to stop you getting pregnant, so simple answer is no, it still wont be TOTM as no one on a contraceptive has a "real period" the periods on the pill are fake to make women feel "normal" as would be the case with some people on depo. Could be water retention ANYWAY as you may have had alot of salt in your food the last couple of days which causes water retention, and thus drink more water to flush out the salt!and look at the salt content of your food from now on. xx

oh and just to clarify, theres no totm water rention etc whilst on depo as the hormone concentration with in our blood is virtually constant due the way the jab is made and administered. and water retention is due to a large increase in hormones.

Last edited:
Thats excellent - thank you for the information. :) Lots there I didn't know.

lol i like these kind of questions its making me revise whilst also being helpful so i dont feel too guilty about spending my time on here instead of studying lol

there is no totm with a contraceptive, thats how it stops us getting pregnant, you're body is constantly thinking its pregnant so no totm can occur. any "periods" experienced whilst using a contraceptive are fake and manufactured to happen so women feel "normal" as periods are normal things. any other bleeding inbetween periods is usually down to break through bleeding, when you have a sudden surge or drop of hormones due to forgetting to take the pill/depo is near expired and you're due another shot.

the water retention your doctor is speaking off is usually down to your own diet habits as contraceptives make you hungrier due to the fake progesterone in them and thus you eat more and your salt intake is increased, causing water retention.

also hun "and a bowl of pasta last night" that could be the answer :) it's why i stick to light food before my WI day and dont have any take aways (unless i have too like a meal out on a special occasion etc) near my WI day either, i always have my big meals at least 3days before WI and then eat lightly afterwards otherwise i find it lies heavy on my tum and shows up on WI day ! eat lightly today and by morning when it's your official WI you'll probably sts or loss a lb or something like that i shouldnt worry :)

PS: it's 3500 more cals you need to eat before you gain 1lb, so that's an extra 7000 you would of have to had eaten! dont worry it will fade :) wont be a proper gain xx

and yeah thats the most obvious answer lol if i eat a "heavy" meal i always weigh more the next day when in reality you cant put on 2 in a day! lol

Just a though though. After staying the same weight for around 6 years after ahving kids, I put on 2 stone in 18 months with depo, and can't shift it for love nor money since!!

Mumstheshopper I did too (about 1st). Then I switched to a low progesterone/high oestrogen combined pill and it just fell off.it's the progesterone which does it :(

I've been on the depo jag the whole time I've been on the diet so the hormone change hasn't made me gain weight at all. Guess I've been lucky. :) When I spoke to the doc about it making you gain weight she said it doesn't make you gain, it makes you think you're hungrier so you eat more and, as a result, gain weight. :)

It's well documented for weight gain coz of the progesterone. No contraceptive makes u fat just alot of them have a high progesterone content which increases hunger...damn hormones! Made me psychotic too lol

Depo is well documented for it's weight gain side effect.

It's evil stuff imo.

Oh I know people do gain on it, I just meant the drug itself doesn't increase your weight - only your appetite then you eat more.

Which is why taking it while on the diet has been an extra struggle.

Weighed myself this morning and have STS. :(

Oh I know people do gain on it, I just meant the drug itself doesn't increase your weight - only your appetite then you eat more.

Which is why taking it while on the diet has been an extra struggle.

Weighed myself this morning and have STS. :(

it's better than that 2lb gain you was thinking you'd have hun! :) at least next week your likely to have a higher loss if you've sts this week :) xx

Thanks hon. :D Hopefully will lose next week, don't care how much right now as long as I have a loss. ;)

was wondering does depo cause much weight gain. i was thinking of asking my dr about it ...i have a hormone imbalance so was thinking of asking dr about depo injection

Mumstheshopper I did too (about 1st). Then I switched to a low progesterone/high oestrogen combined pill and it just fell off.it's the progesterone which does it :(

What are these pills. I have been prescribed marvelon, never really took it, and now there is a shortage. What pill is low progesterone. Thanks

Back