Depression and over eating

This is so true. I suffer from depression have done for about 10 years and if u are sad and feeling low u do look to food. Some do drink etc.

I actively avoid drink now, In my first two years of university I was binge drinking like crazy and just not looking after myself mentally or physically. Now I don't want to go near the stuff because I know it makes my mood worse and I do the most awful things when I'm drunk. Shame it means my social life has just DIED. :(

Hi everyone, I've suffered with depression since the birth of my first son, over 15 years I'm on medication which helps, but I find I'm an emotional eater. If I'm down or worried about anything I will eat. I don't wait a while to try and talk myself out of it, or go for a piece of fruit. I get so annoyed with myself for giving into the temptation. I need some way to stop myself, I have come to a standstill with my weightloss and I'm almost to the "can't be bothered anymore" stage. I have done well and don't want to put it all back on. Any advice will be greatly received. Amanda

Yes!!!

I use sugar and alcohol to self-medicate for depression (and annoyance, and irritation, and tiredness etc etc etc). I have done loads of different approaches and found I always went back. Anyway, I've just discovered 'avrt' and it's a revelation! Totally explains the conflicting behaviours etc.

I'm also on low dose Prozac which helps greatly as long as I stay away from alcohol, which seems to remove my self-control around carbs!

Will post a link later as am on my iPod. But didn't want to let this go without responding to this thread as it struck a chord. Hope you're all ok! Xx

P.S. I had PND after both my children - very badly - and so can really empathise, Amanda.

I think I read somewhere that it's against the rules of this forum to post links, so I will just tell you where to find the information. The program is called "Rational Recovery", and if you look in the FAQ section, go to the "crash course" and "bullets for my beast" sections. They link through to a short set of Powerpoint slides that really made me think.

Please don't be put off that it's positioned as an alternative to AA. It isn't just about alcohol - it's about ANY compulsive behaviours. The brain info behind it is really interesting I think.

Let me know how you get on!!

Spanglymum said:
I think I read somewhere that it's against the rules of this forum to post links, so I will just tell you where to find the information. The program is called "Rational Recovery", and if you look in the FAQ section, go to the "crash course" and "bullets for my beast" sections. They link through to a short set of Powerpoint slides that really made me think.

Please don't be put off that it's positioned as an alternative to AA. It isn't just about alcohol - it's about ANY compulsive behaviours. The brain info behind it is really interesting I think.

Let me know how you get on!!

Thanks. When I get a few minutes I will have a look.

Totally - I could say that depression is 100% of the reason I am the size I am. I get so low that I can't get out of bed, so exercise doesn't happen, then I comfort eat and binge, then feel rubbish and go to bed. It's a never ending cycle.

Will power goes totally out of the window on my bad days. It's not good. But i'm slowly beginning to get it under control and am getting ready to start losing the weight.

I have depression too. My main compulsion is staying in bed all the time daydreaming so I can avoid reality. I do comfort eat as well but have recently started saying to myself 'Food is not love, food is not company, food doesn't cure my problems' and it helps a bit. Also when I feel down and feel I 'deserve' a treat I try to make the treat a non edible one like a magazine or a nice bubble bath etc There is no quick cure unfortunately :(

I am in denial when I hear the word depression. I call it, emotional eating.:D

Had this when my bf and I broke up. He, fortunately and unfortunately, cheated on me. Replaced me with his childhood pal.

Yep I suffer from depression but I'm treating it with anti-depressants and CBT exercises I do myself.(out of a book called "Overcoming Depression" by Paul Gilbert-the book's on amazon but I don't have enough posts to post a link!)

You can gain control but with depression, you need to talk to your GP. Trying to deal with it all by yourself isn't really effective.

Back