Depression and stress, etc

I've had depression since I was in my tweens. It's been hard to get through sometimes. It's far easier to manage when I have things organized; house, diet, work, etc. Having schedules and staying busy is super helpful for me.

Depression is such a tough thing to live with, I've been on citalopram for almost a year and most of the time it works pretty well for me. I'd say they saved my life...

My GP recommended moodgym (google it) so I've worked through it, and it helped me. Depression is such a personal thing and I know mine has a lot to do with my weight and self esteem and I've still got a lot of work to do in these areas, but there are times when i just want to crawl under a stone and hide - it sometimes all feels too much.

xxx

Hi

I have just stumbled accross this thread, I know it is a bit old. I'm currently going through the stuggle of trying to work out whether to take anti-d's. My husband left me in December and I started off being strong but the depression has taken over and now I find everyday a struggle. I just want to curl up and do nothing. I also find it hard not to binge eat.

I have lost 3 stone since August 2010 and I don't want this to be the reason that I put it all back on but it is hard staying focused on a diet when you don't even want to get up.

I have another appointment at the doctors on Tuesday to discuss medication and have a counselling session booked for the end of the June.

Sue

Hi sue,

how did your appointment go honey?

If you need to chat PM me

xxx

Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me joining, but after months of feeling awful I finally went to the doctors yesterday. I've been prescribes anti-d's & CBT :( It'll be nice to hear from others though

Hi sue,

how did your appointment go honey?

xxx

Hi, I ended up cancelling it cause I was feeling better. Still having some emotional times but managing to drag myself through it. The hardest is still keeping going with the shared hobby we had, caving.

Hi Sue, when I split from my partner continuing with the things we did together was hard, even things like hoo.g for certain walks or walking a certain way to town reminded me of him. I took the decision to do as many of those things on my own as I could. Whilst it was painful, a year or so on I felt I had reclaimed these things for me & that they no longer reminded me of him. Doing them on my own was the norm & I still enjoyed them, it was just different. I'd say stick with it, it might be more painful at the start but it's better in the long run. Good luck :)

Hi, I ended up cancelling it cause I was feeling better. Still having some emotional times but managing to drag myself through it. The hardest is still keeping going with the shared hobby we had, caving.

Hi Sue,

Glad you're feeling better - and the emotional times can be tough but you will get there. From experience you do have to keep going. It is easy to grind to a halt and sometimes it that seems the easy thing (speaking with the benefit of hindsight :rolleyes:)

For me, while I am now feeling all but back to normal, I do realise that I have a tendency to drift off into a "depressive" state - and it is times like that when I go back to Moodgym and taking care of myself.

Hope you are enjoying the jubilee weekend.

xxx

Hi Sue, when I split from my partner continuing with the things we did together was hard, even things like hoo.g for certain walks or walking a certain way to town reminded me of him. I took the decision to do as many of those things on my own as I could. Whilst it was painful, a year or so on I felt I had reclaimed these things for me & that they no longer reminded me of him. Doing them on my own was the norm & I still enjoyed them, it was just different. I'd say stick with it, it might be more painful at the start but it's better in the long run. Good luck :)

Hear hear :)

xxx

Hi, I've been struggling since breast feeding my youngest eased and my cycle returned. I have been diagnosed with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoria Disorder). This brings with it depression that is making me suicidal and generally unable to function everyday life stuff. I do have around 2 weeks a month that is 'normal' for me, so no depression etc. I lost pregnancy weight last year but am up 14lb now so trying to lose weight again. I'm on Prozac though so concious to be careful what I do diet wise.

Any advice gratefully received. I'm thinking low calorie generally. I'm struggling to motivate myself though a lot of the time.

JaneN said:
Hi, I've been struggling since breast feeding my youngest eased and my cycle returned. I have been diagnosed with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoria Disorder). This brings with it depression that is making me suicidal and generally unable to function everyday life stuff. I do have around 2 weeks a month that is 'normal' for me, so no depression etc. I lost pregnancy weight last year but am up 14lb now so trying to lose weight again. I'm on Prozac though so concious to be careful what I do diet wise.

Any advice gratefully received. I'm thinking low calorie generally. I'm struggling to motivate myself though a lot of the time.

Jane, I'm really saddened to read what you're going through. Huge hug for you and all the other sufferers on here x

I had no idea what PMDD was and googled it and cannot believe that I have almost all the symptoms :(

I want to try and help to ease my symptoms naturally first with my diet and exercise regime. Then I will try cbt. If all fails I'll try meds. Aww bless you love xx

Hello *waves* I'm new here & new to diets but not new to depression, I'm pretty well at the moment in mental health, but have had recurrent severe depression over the last 10 years or more. Oddly enough when I'm depressed I get thin, but am too depressed to enjoy or appreciate it. My appetite just disappears. But normally when I'm well it is a different story!!

Hey there Jane N, how are you getting on now? I'm on prozac too, how are you finding it? It took a really long time to kick in for me, in my last severe episode, and when it did it would help a little and then plateau for ages until my doctor eventually upped the dose so it would help a bit more. Are you getting nausea as a side effect? Eating breakfast before you take your tablet, if you take it in the morning, helps with that and also it normally fades after a few days or a week or so. I'm new to dieting though so I don't really have any tips on that. Prozac is one of the more appetite-suppressing anti depressants iirc. I was on Mirtazapine once, it was awful! it made me want to eat till my stomach hurt from being full of food and still I wanted to eat more :(

Back