Diabetes - A lot of sugar / a little sugar

Auburn

x x x
Hi,

I tried searching and can't find what I'm after..

Diabetes (type 2) runs in my family, and I want some more information. I'm sure someone must know..

Can anyone tell me what is classed as a lot of sugar (per 100g, or per serving) and what is classed as a little sugar? I'm looking for information like over 20g per 100g is "a lot" and under 5g per 100g is "a little"... but I'm not sure on the actual amounts...

I'm trying to establish if my diet has too much sugar and would really appreciate some help.

Jenny

forgive me if this is old news for you, but Gylcemic Index is more important for your blood sugar levels than just how much sugar something contains.

Have a look at the wiki entry, which explains it well:
Glycemic index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there's this page which is a pretty good database of info about different foods.
Glycemic Index

you might also want to get into the difference between GI and GL.

The other thing to look at is your total carbs per day. 200-300g is a pretty normal western diet - which many would say is high carbohydrate and can put you at risk of diabetes. 50-150 would be a good balance point if want to keep the sugar down. Below 50g a day is low carb and will likely put you in ketosis (so you lose weight). If you are tracking food on something like my fitness pal then carbs are already calculated for you.

Latest research shows that a low carb diet can move people back from the brink of pre diabetes to normal. For some it "cures" type 2 - although never able to go right back to bad eating habits!

Hth!

Back