Diary of a menopausal Yorkshire lass...

I know it's not a club, but have you ever been to the Knitting and Stitching Fair in Harrogate? It's next month and is very popular. I've never been but bus loads do and there are workshops you can sign up for. It would make a day out but don't wander up the hill to that famous place beginning with B!!!!

Samuel Taylor/ Embsay Crafts run some workshops in Brighouse and Harrogate and Baa Ram Ewe (a wool shop, in case you hadn't guessed) also run knitting workshops in Harrogate and Headingley - you may find something on their website.

There might be a cross-stitch club near you, or a branch of the Embroiderer's Guild?

Hope you have a more exciting day tomorrow!

I know what you mean, sometimes I feel weekends just pass me by and I may as well just be at work! Have you any community centres local to you? Quite often the ones round here have lots of little groups and clubs, usually for free too. also at my local library they have a big folder with loads of various leaflets and posters for events, groups, gatherings etc within the local area. Maybe yours might have the same? :) x

Morning Mandy, You have reminded me I have to buy a new ironing board. Of to Argos later.

As for clubs, not much in my area. For me there is the over 50`s club - whose xmas dinner I am going to on the 4th Dec two days before the SW one - I may be over 50 but they all seem so OLD. They remind me oflittle old ladies, I am definately not one of those, but some of their talks & slides are very interesting and you do get a cup of very milky tea!!

There is usually a WI in lots of areas and the offshoots of those are little gatherings in some of the members homes, but usually during the day, no ood if you at work. I did go to the WI twice, but in my area they seemed a bit posh. They were amazed that at that time I worked. Most if not nearly all of them did not, and not because they were penshioners either. As I said very Posh. Sounds very negative I know. I suppose if I went into town I could find something else.

Hey what about line dancing, body magic too. I used to go but stopped a few years ago. Have a look on the net, that sometimes helps. I do cross stitch, but that is of course indoors on my own.

Wow, I am very helpful! But do check the library. Of course the little there is here is far to far for a Yorkshire lass to go to, or any other lass come to that.

Anyway apart from all that nonsense above how are you in general Mandy?

Thanks for all the great ideas! Apart from line dancing :) I have two left feet, and can't tell the difference between left and right!!
I'm going to spend some time checking out all your ideas tomorrow (boss away) and walk onto our library when I go to the bank.
I like the idea of the Harrogate show, if I can drag my oh along. We're trying to decide between Harrogate and York today because I want to go to lakeland.
I'm fine Doreen, just a bit bored and not looking forward to dark nights :( Thanks for asking x
Had a sneaky peek this morning and am right back on track.

Sunday 27th October

Confession time...

A - Milk
B - Wholemeal roll

Breakfast - bacon and egg sandwich

Lunch - bite of oh's flapjack (4)

Dinner - huge restaurant meal of cod with chips and mushy peas, two large glasses of wine, peanut butter cheese cake with cream

Snacks - two more glasses of wine and a twix while watching Shirley Valentine.

Safe to say I have no syns left for this week, but I did have a good day, so I'll live with the consequences :rolleyes:

Monday 28th October

Could've possibly been better without the last glass of wine - ouch!

A - Milk
B - Oats

Breakfast - porridge and honey (1)

Lunch - JP and beans

Dinner - Omelette and chips (2) watching Shirley Valentine has made me want egg and chips!

Snacks - super noodles

Syns - 3

It's going to be a hard day because I'm tired and have the munchies :(

Saturdays food sounds fantastic. No more syns now eh!

Can you munch on anything free? Probably not, it don`t taste the same does it?

Ooh I feel for you: it's a right pain getting the munchies. I daren't suggest any 'remedies' in case it sends you off on a binge as we all know how one thing leads to another... and another etc. And anyway, none of my remedies work for me!

Good luck with overcoming it. Would it help to remember that the scales were looking promising for you?

Tuesday 29th October

It's a lovely sunny day here, but very chilly. I had another bad night, so am sat at my desk trying to keep my eyes open.
I managed to stick to it yesterday and only had 3 syns.

A - Milk
A -
B - Oats
B - Cheese

Breakfast - Porridge, honey (1) and orange juice (3)

Lunch - JP and beans

Dinner - Spicy wedges, cheese, 5 bean chilli

Snack -

Syns - 4 so far

It's a good job I don't have a problem digesting beans :)

Sorry about the bad night - struggling here too (dratted night sweats. I'm sure I could provide all our electricity requirements at the moment).

Beanz, beanz and more beanz! Do you like lentils? I have a recipe using red lentils which makes a good alternative to beans and works well as a base for a vegetarian shepherds pie or lasagne. It can be thinned out for soup too as it's actually adapted from SW's Little Book of Soups!

Tell me about it!
Duvet on....duvet off....duvet on....duvet off
I had a few months where they seemed to stop, but they're back with a vengeance at the moment.

I do like lentils, I used to make a spicy red lentil and carrot soup which was yum, but I found it started tasting a bit soapy. I have the little book of soups, I've not looked at it for ages, I'll dig it out when I get home.

The recipe I use is the tomato, lentil and veg on on page 94 of The Little Book of Soups. I just leave out the potato, use 2 carrots, up the lentils to 150g and reduce the liquids to 500ml of stock and 500ml of passata - a standard box. (I usually leave out the curry powder as well but that's a matter of taste). This makes a very thick dish, but I really like it on a JP with a little cheese and some mushrooms. Some can easily be thinned out again by adding more stock, so it's quite versatile.

This is the other recipe, as printed:

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pack (340g) The Co-operative Truly Irresistible pork chipolata sausages
1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 sticks celery, trimmed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
200g The Co-operative Wholefoods dried green lentils
700ml vegetable stock, or 550ml stock and 150ml red wine (optional)
Recipe method
Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole dish, add the sausages and cook for a good few minutes on each side until golden all over.
Take out of the pan and put on a plate.?
Add the onion, carrots and celery ?and cook gently for a few minutes ?until softened.
Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then add the sausages, lentils, stock and wine, if using.
Cover with foil and a lid and simmer gently?for 25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
This recipe came from Issue 6 of The Co-operative Food magazine. Find out more about The Co-operative Food magazine and view online here >

Obviously you cook the veg the SW way and have to Syn your choice of sausage, but I use Linda MC's rosemary and red onion sausages (free food!), thawed and chopped into bite-sized pieces and I don't bother browning them. Add a little extra rosemary with the stock for a little extra flavour. I haven't tried it with the wine, for obvious reasons! I've also made it go further by serving with fry-lighted eggs, sautéed potatoes and mushrooms.

Wednesday 30th October

Busy day off doing housework and Mum duties.

A - Milk
A - Cheese
B - Oats
B - Roll

Breakfast - Porridge and honey (1)

Lunch - Tomato and red pepper soup with a wm roll

Dinner - Pasta bake with green salad (7.5)

Snack - Frazzles (5.5)

Syns - 14

Thursday 31st October

Back at work today for a rest!
It's going to be tough resisting all the Halloween goodies we've got, I hope we get a lot of trick or treaters. My husband loves it, he used to be a DJ, and still has a smoke machine, lasers and some light effects, so he does the house up and dresses up for the occasion. We got quite a crowd last year :)

A - Milk
A -
B - Oats
B -

Breakfast - Oats and orange muller light

Lunch - JP and beans

Dinner - Spicy Mexican rice (2.5) and 5 bean chilli

Snack - Apple cake (10)

Syns - 12.5

Think I'll call this a green day.

Back