Diet coke chicken

i tried the diet coke chicken recipe on thursday, after finding it on here and every one saying how nice it was.

Only thing is every one has said that the diet coke goes sticky and mine never at all, it was still runny

can any one help as to where i may have gone wrong and give me any tips

Thanks

Ellen:confused:

hi u need to have the heat up high & keep stirring it does go sticky. Mine started like that but u need to let it boil & reduce x

i was so looking forward to this sticky chicken, but i really dont know where i went wrong? i used the brand diet coca cola and i had it on high 4 roughly 15-20 mins keep turning the chicken over with the spices waiting 4 it to turn sticky, but it didnt it just dried up to nothing? so unfortunately after a few mouthfuls we had 2 bin it as it was horrid :-O, hope u all have better luck :)

Im going to have a red day tommorow so that I can try this! it sounds odd....but delicious! Thanks for the recipe!! xx

Hello! Mine is in the pan at the moment and the smell is gross. Have I done something wrong? Eeek! Hope it thickens soon! Fingers crossed for me x

I had this for dinner today - Diet Coke Chicken with Quick Risotto ( basically put with the chicken a packet of Batchelors savoury rice mixed in with loads of frozen veg (boil rice WITH the veg til all water disappears - REALLY YUMMY!!!!)

Another diet coke chicken question

How much coke do you use for this? I was thinking of making it with around 6 tablespoons of ketchup. Or can this be made with canned tomatoes? Would I use the full can?

I just use a can of diet coke, some chinese glaze from a local spice shop, some crushed garlic and a tablespoon of Tomato sauce, but I've never tried adding a can of tomatoes, I suppose you can try it and see what it tastes like lol.

Use tinned tomatoes or pasatta to make it syn free. I use one or other, and add a dash of woucester sauce, a dash of soy sauce, a teeny touch of pepper, garlic granules, and sometimes a touch of five spice. You don't really need ketchup, as you're getting al the sweetness from the diet coke (or Irn Bru if going for the sweer 'n' sour result).
Save your syns for something you really need ;-)

Just made this and its gorgeous, can't stop picking at it so there will be none left for my tea. My son is a very fussy eater and he wants me to make more tomorrow for him. LOL thanks for the post FNM xxx Loobylou

Thanks for this fab idea, i read this thread ages ago but the thought of diet coke on food made me squeamish. I bit the bullet last night and had it with pork - it was delicious! At the point of adding coke and chinese spice (and a smidge of hot pepper sauce!) i added raw brocolli and by the time the sauce had more or less evaporated the broc was done and it soaked up the lovely flavour. I had it with rice, sweetcorn and soya beans - I didn't wait for it to totally evaporate as I like a bit of sauce/gravy with my food. Delish thanks for all the tips guys!
ps. I cooked the pork on a medium heat, then turned it up full blast for coke, I added a little at a time, and in the end I put more or less a whole small bottle of diet coke in, as once it had evaporated first time, my rice etc. wasn't cooked, so just kept adding the coke. My advice is that i would add it gradually like me, you can then make it as saucy or as dry as you like.

A chinese lad i used to live with taught me how to do this a little differently. Brown off a load of chicken wings, add a couple of table spoons of sugar and dark soy and light soy (coat generously) and then add coca cole, or diet and let boil, then simmer to a sticky sauce. Not syn free, but not massive on syns either! Serve with rice!

Every single person I have made this for has asked me to make it again and again, they LOVE it!

Hi dont mean to butt in on the thread but just wanted to say that having normal coke cooked on food is ok, but using diet coke to me, is a bad idea... diet coke has aspertame in it and some studies have shown that when you heat aspertame over a certain temperature it can become dangerous to your health. When heated to over 85 degrees aspartame breaks down into neurotoxic sub[SIZE=+1]stances such as Methanol (wood alcohol), Formaldehyde (embalming fluid), Formic Acid (ant sting venom) and DKP[/SIZE] .. if you want to know more type in aspartame heat into any search engine.. dont want to put a dampner on it but I wouldnt cook aspertame, infact try not to consume it as much as possible, but defo wouldnt cook it x

that sounds gross, and as coke can dissolve a tooth overnight (if left in a glass) I would stongly advise against it. :yuk:

I have heard of inventive recepies, but this is just wrong. :sign0137:

try the kfc recepie instead, just search minimins and you will find it.

Hi, I am new to this site, i joined slimming world Clondalkin in january and i have lost 15.5 lbs so far. I am loving all the recipes i have gotten off this site and i am doing the Diet Coke Chicken for dinner today,hope it turns out ok

eurgh, diet coke contains aspertame, when aspertame is heated to over 85 degrees it breaks down into neurotoxic substances such as methanol, formaldahyde and formic acid... there are many articles online about the dangers of heated aspertame.. it is ok to use normal coke but i certainly would not cook aspertame in any way shape or form... bad food, just because it is low in calories carbs etc doesnt mean its good for you and cooked diet coke is something that i reckon defo isnt good for anyone x hths x

Back