Diet coke chicken

Is it just me that has a problem with it thickening? I just put in a little cornflour but no one else has mentioned this? Perhaps its just me, what is your secret but yes it really is nice.

Well i was gonna try pizza chicken tonight from the mag , but my tummy listened as i was reading this thread and we changed our minds to diet coke chicken (grumble rumbly rumble) and now we get to walk a couple of miles there and back to get a tin of diet coke too ( marvellous body magic ) everyones a winner! Tummy thanks you:D

hollys nan said:
Is it just me that has a problem with it thickening? I just put in a little cornflour but no one else has mentioned this? Perhaps its just me, what is your secret but yes it really is nice.

I never have this problem. It has to simmer with the lid off for quite some time. Do u leave it simmer until all the excess water has evaporated?

Yes I do, by which time its all dried up. I simmer it with the lid off and on its lowest setting. Perhaps my hob is too fierce. Dont know, but I did put in 1 level tbs of cornflour only 3.5 syns so between the 2 of us it became quite low and it was very saucy. It is so gorg isnt it though. Dont mind a couple of syns for such a lovely meal.

Well, mines bubbling away on the stove :), i had to laugh tho my lil boy (he's 4 ) saw me pouring the coke in the pan and came over all Kevin and Perry 'what ARE you doin' mum:eek:? why you pouring that coke on the FOOD? .... I'm not eatin' that with COKE on it:mad:!!!!!!! ( never mind son all the more for me :D).

OK just had our diet coke chicken and it was NOM :eating:! everybody ate it , hubs was happy cos it was really saucy , even the kids ate it ( yup even the little one who thought I'd totally flipped my lid:eek:), I was especially happy cos I had mine with a huuooge pile of stirfry veg and passed on the rice ( red day) and am not at all hungry like i thought i might be cos I usually find red days a bit tricky. Hurrah:party0011:

you know what Hollysnan I loved it , I really wanted it again for tonights tea lol, but the hubster wouldn't go for it , so next time i'm gonna double it up and make enough for leftovers the next day! Enjoy yours for me again tomorrow please!:D

I put it in the oven on gas Mark 8 for 40 mins rather than simmering and itwent rather thick but not sticky!

Help! My diet coke chicken???

Hi all. My diet coke chicken has been simmering for about 14 mins with no sign of thickening. Do I have to wait longer.?
Thanks x

Omg yes! Next time u need to walk away and let it simmer for AT LEAST 30 min. I always double the liquid and have to wait an hour for it to simmer!

I have that trouble too. Just eaten it to be honest. Even left it for nearly 50 mins and then it just dried to nothing so no sauce left at all. The last time I just put 1 level tbs of cornflour in the sauce to thicken it, job done. Between the two of us it only comes out at just under 2 syns. Not bad for such a great dish. Maybe worth a try if you are having the same problem as me.

I think the sticky thing might be misleading. It is more of a sauce if u ask me. I LOVE this recipe. Make it at least once a week. I've done it with chicken breasts and Turkey mince. Going to try it with pork next I think! At any rate the flavor is great. Takes a while to thicken but SO worth the wait!

Back