Diet coke chicken

Anyone any ideas on how to make it less sweet?

Gonna give this a go, I'm getting bored with some of the foods I'm eating.

Just finished my first attempt - enjoyed it over turkey steaks with roasted mixed peppers, vine toms & SW chips. However, I'd like to quel the sweetness a tadge so will try 'Welshcake's' suggestion of a tsp of mustard powder next time.

Overall, it's a bit fat :happy096:

Just finished my first attempt - enjoyed it over turkey steaks with roasted mixed peppers, vine toms & SW chips. However, I'd like to quel the sweetness a tadge so will try 'Welshcake's' suggestion of a tsp of mustard powder next time.

Overall, it's a bit fat :happy096:

I dont use sweetener either, as I dislike it too sweet, a half teaspoon of smoked paprika is really yummy, we had this last night, today was chicken tikka, well my version of chicken tikka anyway :)

Right I'm def making this for dinner :eek:

Will give my verdict tonight! Just need to get some diet coke now! Hope I don't mess it up...
:)

Hi there, I just read a few posts in this thread so not sure if this has already been mentioned... I use the recipe that's posted on Youtube, the guy uses a little passata and a splash of worcestershire sauce and onions and of course diet coke ;o)
He has other recipe vids on his profile so might be worth you taking a peek, he is called dawstopper.

Well I made this for dinner tonight and it was a great success :). I used the recipe someone posted for ww BBQ chicken but used passata instead of ketchup, think one tablespoon of Tabasco sauce was a bit much for my tastebuds so will
Reduce this next time. The recipe said simmer for 6-8 mins but I had to leave it for about 30 to thicken! I had it with sw chips and lots of veg( carrots, pens, green beans, sweetcorn). It was delicious! Wish I had some more as I'm peckish now :)

I've only tried it once so can't compare... Guess you would be better going for the one which you already have most ingredients for? That's what i did :) it was yum :)

Well I don't know what I did wrong - help . Firstly I used pepsi max- now do you think that was mistake number 1?
Anyway I chopped onions added all ingredients and let it simmer about 20 mins. It stayed as runny liquid forever then suddenly dried up to nothing and the chicken was dry , bypassed the semi solid sauce or sticky sauce stage help?

Well I don't know what I did wrong - help . Firstly I used pepsi max- now do you think that was mistake number 1?
Anyway I chopped onions added all ingredients and let it simmer about 20 mins. It stayed as runny liquid forever then suddenly dried up to nothing and the chicken was dry , bypassed the semi solid sauce or sticky sauce stage help?

I use pepsi max - how come it dried up even if all the coke goes the tomato stays lol, mine has never failed

2 onions 3 cloves garlic sweated til soft, add tablespoon worcs sauce 3 tbs balsamic vinegar, 1 can diet coke/pepsi 1 box passata, half teaspoon mustard, add a few herbs some smoked paprika to taste if wanted, I blitz it all up as I prefer a smooth sauce, put on the hob to bubble away slowly for around 30 mins I spoon that over the chicken/ribs/chops and put in oven until the meat is cooked, I always keep some back leave it on the hob until its extra thick (like jam) and put in a tub in the fridge to use as free ketchup

Cook the sauce first once its thick then add to the chicken dont try and cook the chicken and sauce together

I use pepsi max - how come it dried up even if all the coke goes the tomato stays lol, mine has never failed

2 onions 3 cloves garlic sweated til soft, add tablespoon worcs sauce 3 tbs balsamic vinegar, 1 can diet coke/pepsi 1 box passata, half teaspoon mustard, add a few herbs some smoked paprika to taste if wanted, I blitz it all up as I prefer a smooth sauce, put on the hob to bubble away slowly for around 30 mins I spoon that over the chicken/ribs/chops and put in oven until the meat is cooked, I always keep some back leave it on the hob until its extra thick (like jam) and put in a tub in the fridge to use as free ketchup

Cook the sauce first once its thick then add to the chicken dont try and cook the chicken and sauce together

ok thanks for that i'll give it another go. i just used the original recipe on here - chicken, chinese five spice and a can of pepsi max. i'll use your recipe with the toms etc. x

I made this tonight and it was delicious. My husband loved it too, he had seconds!!
I did a 'whatever ingredients I have in the house' variety :p So mine ended up being made with diced skinless chicken thigh fillets, a chopped red pepper and a diced onion. I used passata, some fresh ginger, crushed garlic, chinese five spice and soy sauce, oh and of course diet coke. YUM YUM

Mmm lovely josiecat I'm actually craving this lol will have some more for dinner next week :)

This is fab- just had it for tea and it was gorgeous! Had it with rice? But think it would be great in a wrap xxx

Yes i know it sounds weird but i just remembered i used to do it on ww and its LURVELY..... you have to try it to realise how yum it is!

Ingrediants - Chicken, Diet coke and chinese mixed spice

Chop up the chicken and brown the bits in a frying pan with frylight. Add a can of diet coke and a heaped teaspoon of chinese mixed spice and keep stirring and flippin over so that the "sauce" goes really sticky looking. The diet coke will sort of evaporte and leave this sticky thing.
Just make sure you try and get the stickyness onto the chicken as much as poss and serve with sw chips and salad... may have to do this next week!!!
xxx

Oh so glad I found this link :) gonna try that sometime next week :)

Back