Diet coke chicken

oooh I made this last time I did sw and it is absolutely delicious!!

I remember thinking that the diet coke would never boil down but after about 20 minutes or so it does all of a sudden!!

It doesn't taste like diet coke, it tastes really chinesey and delicious!

My housemate made this for me in my first year at university. I thought it sounded strange but tastes gorgeous. She used full fat coke though, never tried the diet version!

wow this sounds yum !! id love to try it :)

I have heard of this before but with pork!!! I really do want to try it just havent had the balls to! lol thanks for your post, I think I will finally take the plunge! lol ;)

I made this tonight, chicken, onions, mixed peppers, passata, chinese 5 spice, soy sauce and diet coke. Delicious and syn free!!

I made this tonight. It didn't go sticky or thicken and to be honest i thought it tasted a bit bland. Not for me i'm afraid! Think i've been spoilt by the fakeaway donnor kebab!! :)

Spookess said:
I made this tonight. It didn't go sticky or thicken and to be honest i thought it tasted a bit bland. Not for me i'm afraid! Think i've been spoilt by the fakeaway donnor kebab!! :)

Fakeaway donnor kebab!!!!??? Tell me more!? xx

has anyone tried the sweet and sour version you use diet iron brew or diet fanta orange ?

juejon said:
has anyone tried the sweet and sour version you use diet iron brew or diet fanta orange ?

Yep, the fanta one is very tasty! I haven't tried Irn Bru though, would it be slightly different? On my list to try now!

I made the diet coke chicken last night but I put ALOT of chinese spice powder in it - smelled disgusting for the first few minutes but once it started cooking more it smelled yummy! Served it with rice and will definitely make it again - next time with chips!

i have not tried the iron brew because i dont ike it as a drink but would love to know what its like as a sauce

Someone mentioned theres was bland.....I just wanted to say that adding soy sauce as well as passata and adding more than a heaped tsp of five spice will solve that problem :D

Josiecat said:
Someone mentioned theres was bland.....I just wanted to say that adding soy sauce as well as passata and adding more than a heaped tsp of five spice will solve that problem :D

I add loads of 5 spice and sometimes Chilli flakes but upbeat it hot! Never had a bland one, but did make one so hot my oh nearly choked lol!

Mmm... just cooked this and it smells delicious! Just waiting for my rice to cook and then I'm going to munch it for dinner! I used onion, mushroom, peppers, soy sauce, added a tin of chopped toms, Chinese 5 spice (I have a 1/2 tsp measure and I used 3 of these heaped!) then I added a glass of Pepsi Max. Rather than simmering I boiled it uncovered for 10 mins so there was bubbles (a residue appeared around the side of the pan which I thought was 'scum' but it was the sauce thickening!) after 10 mins I added chopped cooked chicken and boiled uncovered for another 10 mins and it was lovely and thick :)

I picked up a tip from Nigel Slater's show, he said taste your food half way through cooking and if it's bland then add more at that point, so if after 10 mins it's tasting bland then add more 5 spice etc... mine tasted yummy so I left it as it is.

This is the first time I've tried it so can't compare using Diet Coke versus Pepsi Max but as Pepsi Max tastes a lot sweeter I wonder if this helps with the sweet Chinese flavour a bit more??

Back