Diet coke, Garlic puree and chewing gum..

moggy

Hey,

Does anyone know if garlic puree is allowed? Also today I had a piece of juicy fruits chewing gum as I felt like my blood sugar was so low after an hours walk I thought I might faint. Diet coke has 0 calories? Do you really think that weight loss will stop by eating or having a drink of these things. Sometimes I just need something and a swig of 0 calorie coke is better than a full blown binge!? x

Hey,

Does anyone know if garlic puree is allowed? Also today I had a piece of juicy fruits chewing gum as I felt like my blood sugar was so low after an hours walk I thought I might faint. Diet coke has 0 calories? Do you really think that weight loss will stop by eating or having a drink of these things. Sometimes I just need something and a swig of 0 calorie coke is better than a full blown binge!? x

garlic puree - not sure....:rolleyes:

diet coke - definitely NOT - contains citric acid which may kick you outta ketosis...:rolleyes:

chewing gum - not recommended - the 'chewing' releases saliva which can make you feel hungry....:rolleyes:

probably not the answers you were after - sorry hun !

Debz x

I drink diet coke and chew gum, because otherwise I would binge and people would die with my ketosis breath! But i know officially people say you shouldn't have either. The coke issue is citric acid (coke zero doesn't have it and therefore is better, but I think it's grim). Not sure about the gum though. Still better to have that I think, instead of eating a big fat chocolate bar!!

Can I just say though, ketosis isn't the be all and end all. So if someone decides that they really want Diet Coke, then fair enough, but you have to be prepared to possibly get kicked out of ketosis. You will still lose weight all the same, but you won't have the cover of ketosis. So you'll feel hungry. I personally don't like ketosis all that much anyway! But being out of ketosis while doing SS or SS+ will make it a lot harder.

Sugar free chewing gum you can have, occasionally. It can make you feel hungry though as Debz said. Basically, any kind of chewing and your stomach starts preparing for food and produces peptic acid to digest that food. So can make you hungry! But is the recommended way to get rid of that fuzzy mouth and bad breath that comes with ketosis. That an mouth spray!

Surely on a diet where your total calorie intake daily is 600 cals approx (i'm on sole source plus) even if you drank coke, chewed gum you would still loose weight. I know it's all about ketosis, ketosis, ketosis but if I am burning more calories than I am eating (and that I am definately doing every day) regardless of carbs I will still loose weight? I guess time will tell. I lost 2 stone first time round and never cheated but now finding with restart that a glass of coke gets me through a day without throwing the towel in and ordering pizza. x

Can I put a big ol be careful warning about bending the rules and I'll do it speaking from my own experience.

I've been in OA, done Fit For Life, did CD last year and Scarsdale at one point too. Any single one of these diets could have worked but it was me who had to bend the rules, broke them and hence regained any weight I'd lost.

With all the money I am paying out for CD (for the second time), this time I am absolutely going to stick to it. I've realised in CD we learn how to stop eating and in CD we learn how to start. It's about a big word for me called Discipline and really thinking the consequences through.

I did fine on SS+ (my first attempt on CD) and didn't want to break the rules once. However then I started moving up the steps and decided I knew better. Indeed it started with 'just one thing' off the plan, I justified funnily enough by saying I felt dizzy and unfortunately I didn't stop until I regained all my weight.

Now not for a second am I suggesting you are going to do the same moggy but there is a risk that just one leads to the next and then..... Especially with diet coke as the caffiene turns our stomachs acidic and that *can* lead to more cravings.

If the above helps, try to take the time to think about why you feel you 'need' to have these things. Could you have saved half of a pack and had it later or even walked for a little less time? Were you thinking you 'deserved' the coke because you'd been good? The wise KD always reminds me that food isn't a reward ;)

Please forgive me if this sounds harsh as it's not my intention. I just want to share what happened to me when I broke the rules. Of course you need to find what works best for you and I wish you the best with whatever you choose :)

Last edited:
If you're prepared to get kicked out of ketosis and deal with the hunger, then go for the coke. You will still lose weight out of ketosis, probably the same as in ketosis. But, you have to be prepared to be hungry!

To be honest I find that I am hungry all the time anyway. I check with ketostix and it takes a lot to knock me out of ketosis. I walked home from work so I couldn't have walked any less..or otherwise I wouldn't have arrived! I wasn't thinking of it as a treat to have a swig of coke. I just made the logical decision that if it's a choice between giving up or drinking a glass of coke it's better to do the latter. I see your point and it's wise to not deviate from the plan at all if you can and yes I agree that it's risky as it could lead to a full blown binge but everyone is different and finds there own way of coping. I will take on your advice though and try harder not to deviate from the plan as i'm sure there is a lot of sense in what you say and of course I don't want to destroy all of my hard work and let myself down. Thanks xxx

I hope I helped. Noone's perfect and I absolutely agree you need to find what works best for you. I was dizzy throughout SS+ and it got much worse towards the end so my CDC suggested I up my milk intake a bit ('a safe protein' as she called it!)

I also find that every time I stand up I feel dizzy. I am used to it now though. You did help me. Your right..it's a dangerous road to take. xxxx

Wow. Great thread! Great advice too. How refreshing to find a thread that isn't caught up with the myths of ketosis, but yet still warns of the problems if you come out of it.

Also spot on Laura about tweaking diets. This was the first diet (almost:D) that I tried not to tweak. Even though I felt I knew what I was doing, when I tweaked other diets it didn't to be getting me anywhere :confused: I needed the discipline of sticking to the plan as written, not my own pretty version of it :D

Oh and BTW, it's a no to garlic puree;)

Back