Diet drinks.

Sweethearts

Gold Member
Has anyone noticed that drinking diet drinks such as diet pepsi, coke, 7up etc have affected your weight loss in a bad way on SW? been reading up on it and the impression I'm getting is they can cause bloating which doesn't really help weight loss in the long run. Just been curious x

I have the odd can/glass of fizzy, but tend to stick to water. My friend drinks nothing but coke zero & she has still lost everyweek. Saying that she might loose more if she didnt drink it all the time. I have heard it a few times that they can hinder a weight loss, thinks it might be an individual thing.
Amy x

I drink absolutely nothing but diet coke. So far I've lost every week but I may have lost more if I wasn't drinking it? I'll never know because I simply refuse to give it up :)

Yes. I think the important point is that, if you want something sweet and sugary to drink, and in the past that was a coke, it will take time to move away from that habit. If we didnt reach for a diet drink, the alternative wouldnt be water, the alternative would be a can of regular coke that has 140 completely empty calories.

it would not have been unusual for me to drink three or four cans of coke a day.

The entire time I was losing, I drank a ridiculous amount of diet fizzy drinks - I never noticed a difference, to be honest!

If I drink a diet drink it's diet coke only. I don't get bloated (food/drink has never affected me that way) but it feels me up quickly which means if I'm having dinner I won't be able to eat it all, which is annoying as I know I haven't eaten enough. I don't drink water so I always have sugar free squash to hand. I'll only drink coke if I have to.

Absolutely not. I am 1 stone lighter and drink diet soda everyday - it's something I couldn't live without. I do try to drink plenty of water too though, with NAS squash or tea.

I drink lots of fizzy drinks & I don't feel it's hindered my weight loss. I go through phases where I try not to drink so much but it doesn't make any difference to my weight loss.

My diet drink is Pepsi Max, not a massive amount though..normal small bottle size every other day or so. I love off NAS squash- i make a litre of it up from an old full size pop bottle, so that it's there ready made. no problems :)

I did hear some research that the reason diet fizzy drinks hinder weight loss is because of the artificial sweetener, you drink the drink and your body expects a sugar hit which it doesn't get so then craves the sugar. Then you eat the sugar, so as long ad this doesnt happen then should be fine, and everyone is different so you may not get the sugar craving. I don't know how supported this research is thou, it's just what I have heard

gazter said:
Yes. I think the important point is that, if you want something sweet and sugary to drink, and in the past that was a coke, it will take time to move away from that habit. If we didnt reach for a diet drink, the alternative wouldnt be water, the alternative would be a can of regular coke that has 140 completely empty calories.

it would not have been unusual for me to drink three or four cans of coke a day.

I have to say my alternative would be water, I would literally rather die of thirst than touch normal coke. It's gross hehe! I suppose it's a good thing I dislike it!

xJoanneJJx said:
My diet drink is Pepsi Max, not a massive amount though..normal small bottle size every other day or so. I love off NAS squash- i make a litre of it up from an old full size pop bottle, so that it's there ready made. no problems :)

That is a really good idea. I used to live off fizzy drinks alone but I now try and limit myself and drink more water with NAS (cant drink water on its own), but I sometimes find I'm really lazy and pouring some Pepsi max into a glass seems so much easier than making up the squash - might have to try this filling up the empty pop bottle!

i used to drink loads of diet coke / pepsi max all the time, but when i started my 'healthy eating' thing i stopped all together. now i drink nothing but water or some juice for flavour.. the only time i do drink coke or fizzy drinks is when i am at a family party or i go out for a nice meal, the last meal i had was in january for my mums 60th, i had two pints of diet coke and by the time i was outside i noticed that i was twitching.. it has happend each time i have have gone out for a meal and a drink.. it must be the sugar or sweetners in the drink and my body is reacting to the sudden surge of it in my body.

i'm not saying don't drink it, just that i personally decided not too drink it daily or weekly. there is nothing wrong with drinking your diet cokes etc. as long as thats not all you drink.. i like to drink it as a treat.

No but after years of drinking nothing but diet coke i have just switched to water or dilute juice. Mainly to save money but also to be healthy. It can't be good for our body to drink nothing but fizzy drinks.

In my house we didn't have fizzy drinks very often. They were for meals out our special occassions. (probably why I still have all my teeth lol). But when I DID have a drink it would be normal Coca-Cola. Now that I've switched to Diet I can't drink anything but Diet Coke. The normal stuff doesn't taste right to me anymore. :p

Back