Total Solution Different mind sets

shell09

Silver Member
Hi guys

Well here I am on day 5 of exante having done CD in the past. I have cravings n big ones but not really one part of me is about to cave!

I find myself thinking about maintenance having lost 8 stone and gained back around 3 stone very quickly

I can see where I go wrong I really can but can't for the life of me know how to change it...... This may be a long post lol sorry in advance :)

Basically I kinda go through the whole binge n starve thing all the time since discovering tfr diets. So if I'm on tfr I get into a place in my head where there is no chance of slip up or if it is it's just a minor one and it generally never spirals into the old 'well I've eaten now so may as well carry on.' when I finnished Cambridge diet and got to my goal I never done maintenance and gained 7lb straight away which I expected I then went on to gain another 3 lbs and leveled off and maintained that weight for about a year.

I found myself constantly weighing and never being happy with my clothes size etc. Although I was 10 lb above my goal weight it felt like it was 10 stone above and I become a bit obsessive trying all sorts of diets etc. Then got to a point where if I ate something nice I'd make myself go without something to compensate but then by not allowing myself what I wanted I'd end up buying loads of junk like take aways chocolates wine etc n binging. Ultimately I was gaining more weight n feeling more desperate to the point I kinda gave up n went on a long binge period as I knew I was gonna eventually go back on tfr

Am I making sense here? Lol

So I'm back on tfr I will lose the weight no doubt but iwant to break the cycle!

I should add I Gaines back most of my weight after summer in about 4 months! That was some binge huh!

Like many of us I often think about the food I fancy that il have once I've reached goal but its like I'm kinda planning another binge by doing that! But it's nice to give yourself a bit of a break after such a strict diet!

I've gone right off on a tangent here sorry but I need to find a happy medium I know what I should do I even proved to myself that I can do it my maintaining for a year but ultimately I never really broke the cycle! It's strange that I feel I know all the answers but just can't put them into practice especially when I know how unhappy I am being over weight n how much better I feel slim!

Does everybody feel like this or anybody even? I know I have a few issues I need to some how deal with which became more evident to me when I found myself research ways to induce vomiting etc I didn't go down that route n don't want to but it's just another example of how desperate I am about the whole weight thing

Any pearls of wisdom or comments? Ps if you got this far thanks for reading :)

Like many of us I often think about the food I fancy that il have once I've reached goal but its like I'm kinda planning another binge by doing that! But it's nice to give yourself a bit of a break after such a strict diet!

I think this hits the nail on the head.

You are in a cycle of denial and reward. You deny yourself the food you want, feel completely deprived, and then plan your reward.

Your reward is food. You regain weight........and the cycle starts again.

There is no magic answer to this.

You - and probably many of us here, myself included - need to stop seeing food as a reward. Food is fuel - it is not a reward, a friend, or indeed an enemy.

I am truly scared that you have given thoughts to induced vomiting. This is the start of a serious eating disorder.

I strongly advise you to go to your GP, sooner rather than later, to discuss these issues. I think you need to seek some psychological help before this escalates.

Please do not be offended - I just truly feel you need professional help.

Good luck, and take care of yourself. :)

Hi darcy

No offence taken at all thanks for your comments

I agree it's the whole reward n denial thing but don't think I had that way of thinking before discovering n starting vlcds obviously I had some issues as I was really over weight but I don't think it consumed me quite so much

I've considered mentioning it to gp for some advice but I don't think it would help without sounding like a know-all I've heard it all before read the books the stories watched the documentaries etc I know all the answers I'd be given but I know it in theory but somethings a miss in putting it into practice

Thoughts of inducing vomiting etc are not the way I wanna go I'm a 29 year old woman with a 6 year old daughter I need to be a good role model for one! N I dont think I would have ever done that it's just the fact it crossed my mind n I looked it up etc is plain wrong

Maybe I will seek a bit of advice but not until I've shifted this weight as I know the first thing I'd be told is to stop the vlcd n I'm not prepared to do that until I've shifted the fat! :)

Hi shell,

I understand where your coming from. Food is always a reward for me and a 'treat'. Need to stop being like this, but how??
What im worried about is how to go up the plans. There isnt any clear instructions on the web site. how long are you supposed to stay on each stage? Hopefully if we go up the stages properly and introduce foods slowly, it will be ok? Good luck girlie

Thanks moti good luck to you too! I'm hoping going up the plans properly this time helps and think o might start moving up a fair bit before o reach goal so I can stay on each plan for a while

There's a book that's been recommended on here by a few people that I keep meaning to pick up something like 'the Beck diet' it apparently deals with some of the psychological issues re dieting n healthy eating and I think breaking the cycle of denial and reward is one of those issues it addresses

Back