Different sweeteners

Hi

Is there much difference between all the various sweeteners. I bought some splenda today (to have a go at baking some of the delicous sounding cakes on here) but was shocked at how expensive it was. I normally buy Sainsbury's own 'splendaslim', but the jar did say it was table top use only and didn't mention cooking. But what about using canderel granulated...would that work as well or is splenda different?

I use Tescos own brand as it's so much cheaper and I use loads in baking.
It cooks up just fine so I am sure other brands will do too.

I use Splenda for baking as I find it is the best, I use Canderel powdered sweetner for my DH and in cocoa for me (the only drink I have with a sweetner) and i find it is has no after taste.

But, there are so many sweetner's in the shops these days so I suppose it is a 'hit & miss' situation until you find one that you like.

Splenda only for cooking, trust me, for I am baker of Chickpea cake using regular sweetner.

Splenda all the way.

Thanks, That's what I thought. I guessed there must a reason for the higher price tag. Will continue using the cheapo stuff for on my porridge though.

i agree splenda is best in cakes and i now use the brown splenda for baking, although its more expensive i find you dont use as much as other sweetners.:p

i agree splenda is best in cakes and i now use the brown splenda for baking, although its more expensive i find you dont use as much as other sweetners.:p

Just remember that Splenda Brown isn't syn-free.

Splenda Splenda Brown Sugar Blend^^ 1 level tbsp

red.gif
Original 1 Syns
green.gif
Green 1 Syns

Personally I can't tell any difference between splenda and other brands of sweetener so I usually buy whatever is on offer at the time. But I only use granulated sugar to make rice pudding so maybe it would be different in baking.

Splenda forever in this house too. It tastes much less artificial than any of the others. I agree it's worth the extra money.

I use splenda too. I find some of the others have a very harsh chemical aftertaste.

Do you all think Splenda is best in tea and coffee too? I bought Candrel, but I can taste that it is a sweetener rather than sugar.
Thanks
Sharon
x

yes splenda is best i find the others have an after taste its beter for tea and coffee also and i dont think it contains aspartame which is supposed to be dodgy lol not sure why and dont want to be corrected ,but splenda tastes beter although it more expensive

Back