Disapproving friends

smc9009

Told one of my close friends today that I'm doing the CD and she gave me a big lecture about it being unhealthy. I said that I'll be a hell of a lot healthier when I'm 5 stone lighter. She is very lucky to be someone who can eat twice as much as me and stay a size 8. I know she only means well and I can hold my ground but it still upsets me a bit for some reason..

How do other people cope with these sorts of comments?

1st WI tomorrow, quite excited, sneaky peaks imply a good result, feel looser in my trousers already despite being time of the month! Wish me luck :)

first time around my old house mate was like that... she would make such awful comments and be nasty about things all cos she was jealous i was losing the weight and she wouldnt have a fat friend any more.
chin up you are doing it for you xxx

Dont listen to the negative comments you've taken a positive step to loosing the weight you want to hopefully when she sees how happy you are when you begin loosing a lot of the weight you want she will change her mind and support you :) Good luck with your weigh in xx

Hey you know your body to a certain degree and know what may suit you and what won't. The path your on as many others are, is a path of rediscovering the understanding of your body and knowing what it is happy and what isn't.
You stick with the program that your on and I have a BIG funny feeling that in 6 months time you'll hit your healthy ideal or close to it. Also if things ever get tough emotionally/ physically then you know what to do as we all on the same journey.
Wish you all the very best with your journey and please keep us all posted on your stats

Thanks for all your comments, I feel certain this is the right decision for me. I just get frustrated defending myself again and again. I don't think it's unhealthy, although I would agree it's not the healthiest way to do it!

Roll on the pounds coming off then it will speak for itself!
X

My friends are like this, it annoys me that they keep on telling me they can't wait for me to eat 'solids' again - talk about making someone feel like a child. However, just suck it up and realise that you have made this decision to lose the weight and you will be happy in the end with the results and they are simply jealous that you are losing the weight.

One of my friends who is much bigger than me called me stupid until I updated her on my weekly loss last night. Now she is asking where to go to get on the diet. Things will get better. We all need to rise above it for now and forget the haters!

You know, other people sometimes think they know best and feel they have to go with the crowd in some respects, but lets face it, we are doing this important reasons and for mine its health...I know if I stay at this weight I can probably see myself having some problems.

If your happy with your decision then go for it and the best of luck for your first weigh in tomorrow. x

Hi
I have a 'friend' who never actually said anything to my face about not approving of my diet but to anyone else that would listen she would slate it! And yes, she has a weight issue too!! What upset me more was the fact that it was a dig at me and what I was doing instead of her being supportive and a good friend. I had a break from the diet and now I'm back on it I've made the decision not to tell her, I just don't want it to become an issue between us. The main thing is losing weight and being healthy.
LittleDoris xx

CheeseGirl said:
It's a bit like, the people who have no children are very wise in the ways of how to raise them. Let it roll off your back and quit discussing your diet with any of them. That's what WE are here for! Good luck, don't let it get you down :)

Ever so True

It is a diet followed by thousands and thousands world wide - if it was that bad...don't you think we would all have known about it by now? Look at the forums...it's a tough going diet sometimes, but I would probably say that most have had amazing results if the diet is stuck to. It's so worth it! I also believe in not commenting unless you've given it a go! ........keep calm and carry on!

It's a bit like, the people who have no children are very wise in the ways of how to raise them. Let it roll off your back and quit discussing your diet with any of them. That's what WE are here for! Good luck, don't let it get you down :)

Oh I don't agree about the children bit. Some of us non-parents are much better at it that the parents.

Ah thanks. Appreciate it! I'm definately gonna stop discussing it with people unless it's unavoidable though! Week One weigh in tomorrow here we come!! :)

i experienced this with my in laws the first time round and some friends...
this time the in laws do not know, i told my mam after week 1 and told my dad after week2... luckily my other half is really supportive and he is helping keep his parents out of it...
people know at work and only one has past comment cos she is a fitness buff, goes to the gym everyday and is major muscles... but it was only a niggle at me initially...
no one has said anything nasty as far as i am aware and if they say owt behind my back i don't really care...
i am doing this for me first and foremost... definately not for people at work :)

Simple.

Just tell her it's NICE guidance recommended. And if she doesn't know what that means, tell her to look it up.

Sorted. :)

Hiya :) really interesting thread. Im starting this next week as that's the first appointment I can get and other than my workmate (we two female pa's in an all male office) im telling noone. Ive a busy few weeks ahead re work and outside projects so I figure avoiding alcohol and dinners should be easy enough and as I no longer live at home in Ireland, I dont have to worry about my mom being so disapproving lol/.

At the end of the day we know our own bodies and we're adults. Once we're happy isnt that all that really matters?

Back