Distressed about new addition ! :(

kandy

Silver Member
Hiya All,

As i posted earlier in the week ,we collected our 12 week old cairns terrier pup up last night , i have a cat who is my baby and 6 yrs old i was promised by vets and breeder that all would be fine as the cat would show the dog who's boss .

Well when the pup arrived they had a shout at each other but not too bad things seemed ok but today my cat wont go to her food because it involves walking past the dog she also only used her litter tray when carried to it and she seems to be shying away from the pup more as the day goes on and the dog is becoming more aggressive i feel gutted i am torn by my husband and girls as they so wanted the pup but i want my cat to be happy and comfortable and must be honest if the choice was mine we wouldnt have the puppy !

If any of you have any words of advice shout them this way !
Thanks Julie xxx

Hiya All,

As i posted earlier in the week ,we collected our 12 week old cairns terrier pup up last night , i have a cat who is my baby and 6 yrs old i was promised by vets and breeder that all would be fine as the cat would show the dog who's boss .

Well when the pup arrived they had a shout at each other but not too bad things seemed ok but today my cat wont go to her food because it involves walking past the dog she also only used her litter tray when carried to it and she seems to be shying away from the pup more as the day goes on and the dog is becoming more aggressive i feel gutted i am torn by my husband and girls as they so wanted the pup but i want my cat to be happy and comfortable and must be honest if the choice was mine we wouldnt have the puppy !

If any of you have any words of advice shout them this way !
Thanks Julie xxx

Hi Julie,:)

Sorry to hear you're worried about your cat and the new puppy. I don't know if this helps, but i have had a similar situation before myself and after a few days my cat laid down the law and the dog ran for the hills!!..literally.

I am pretty sure that in a short while your cat will start doing a bit of hissing and batting with paws and the new puppy will not be so bold.:(

Let us all know how things go,

Lacey..xxx

Thanks so much Lacey i am just worried because she started off being bold but now she has just hidden out of the way was this your experience i cant believe this is effecting me so badly i want to cry !
What a saddo i know i am embarrassed to admit it ! x

Hope things improve soon, we introduced a siamese cat (a yr older) into the home with a cat who was 6 yrs old. The new cat was very vocal and scratchy to our cat, but after a week they settled down and avoided each other, in between when they had there moments and I thought it was getting out of hand I used an old spray bottle and gave the new cat a quick squirt of water which put an abrupt end to the squabble. (I have been told this is a good way to sort things out as shouting or tapping the animals will not help)

Anyway a year on they often snuggle up together, and only on odd occasions have they had a tiff....lol

Good luck, (give the water idea a try)

Thanks sonkie,

I will think about the water thing see how tomorrow goes first the puppy is so playful she may enjoy it other than the cat angst she is settling in fine but i am starting to resent her for upsetting my baby which is so not like me i love animals, although i could quite easily let the puppy out the back gate when nobody is watching ! (not really)
Thanks again love julie xxxx

I've had my dog for 6 months and it's only in the past week that the cat has dared to come into the sitting room where the dog usually stays with me.

At first they used to have different floors to the house, the cat lived upstairs the dog lived downstairs but then the cat decided to live in the dining room and would lash out at the dog whenever he came within a few feet of her so he as scared to get food or go out to the garden, or even use the garden for a toilet. They're about the sae size though so dont know if that makes any difference.

We used to have a cat and a dog when i was little and I dont kow how long it took but they got on very well and used to curl up and slee together. Hope my 2 will eventually but its nice to see the able to sit in the same room together for now.

Im sure it will be a matter of time till they settle down together.......They have got to get used to each others ways etc. they will be fine im sure when they find where they stand.....the water thing is good as a last resort if a big fight does occur.....hopefully they will be fine.
The puppy is only wanting to play.....bless you could send it to me, I would love a puppy....lol

Thanks so much Lacey i am just worried because she started off being bold but now she has just hidden out of the way was this your experience i cant believe this is effecting me so badly i want to cry !
What a saddo i know i am embarrassed to admit it ! x

Oi missus:D

You're not a saddo you just love your cat and they are like babies, I know. I bet you feel like you have done an act of betrayal and brought this stranger into the house?..yep?

That your cat is looking at you like....what have you done mummy? who is this?....:eek: ...I felt like this at first.

I'm sure everything will be much better in a few days if you can stick with it. I don't know if you are able to stay at home or have to leave the house during the day. If you do , I would suggest that you don't leave them both inside the house.

I bet if you just give your cat(what's his/her name?:) ) more attention than usual and reassurance that you are still around and will protect...all will be ok.

Lacey...x

Well they are now in the same room so i am keeping my fingers crossed they are both sleeping so i guess they are making progress that is till they wake up lol x

Thanks guys will keep you all posted xxx

Make sure you do hun. I will be wondering and worrying with you too as well now!!!!:D

Hey Lacey,
Thanks for that yep i am worried she thinks i am trying to replace her !

They have just sat with hubby stroking them both puppy ( Milly) on his lap and cat (Bubbles) on the arm of the chair beside him there was a little meowing and hissing but then they both fell asleep (lightly) and then after 10 minutes cat has done a runner but thats still a step in the right direction !

Thanks for your advice your a star Lacey xxxxx

When it comes to feeding times, feed them at the same time but make sure you put the cat's food down first then the puppy's if he comes over to her food gently push him away and give him his. She was there first so there is a 'pecking ' order. My dog is now 6 years old and the cat 10 they are great friends.

Not so in the first couple of weeks though she really gave him a rough ride as he thought he was in charge. He was a rather large puppy, lab/dane cross, and on the first day so thought her basket was the best thing to get into. Big mistake:confused: Huge:eek:. Cat wasn't impresses and chased the puppy.

Don't think he has even forgotten that.

Funny that bit about the cat not wanting to go past the dog to her food. Even now if the cat is in the doorway the door cries as he will not step over her in case she biffs him one.

At food time now they both come in together and she rubs herself around his legs and he nuzzles her with his nose. They then eat together and he sits and waits until she has finished and walked away then he clears the plate of anything left.

They are great company to each other.

Fingers crossed things will be better today.

Linda

Thanks Linda thats so sweet i wouldnt dare try feeding them together she wouldnt get any food at all lol !

Hiya Sonkie Sorry puppy is staying we have constructed a plan of action and they are actually getting on better now thankfully!

They still seems to be a little conflict but all in all things look good and i have a feeling they will soon be friends they are both now asleep about 1/2 metre away from each other so huge improvements !

Thank you all so kindly listening to my neurotic ramblings sanity is once more resumed ,but not completely ;) lol
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

so what is your plan of action ?........Im sooo pleased they are settling in together now, give them a few months and they will be snuggled up on the floor together.

Great news !

How are things going now Julie??? Hope they are starting to accept each other - and will soon be friends!

cat_69.gif

Hi Sonkie & Flirtygreeneyes,

So far so good Milly is doing usual puppy things sometimes i wanna kiss her sometimes i wanna kick her :eek: ( i never would i kick hubby instead lol ) :p !

Bubbles is becoming more accepting every day which is lovely they seem to be better friends at night when Milly isn't quite so boisterous Bubbles is clouting Milly on the snout every now and then just so she knows whos boss ;) !

So new plan of action is basically making puppy training more of a family affair as opposed to me doing everything lol :rolleyes: !

Lotsa love t'all Julie xxxx

Back