Ditching the scales?

Big H

Silver Member
Has anybody ever tried doing this?

I tend to put off doing things based on the fact I won't be a certain weight at the time when the thing occurs. E.g my mates are all going out for day's drinking in May, I am not going becuase I won't be at the weight I want to be (on the scales) by that time. I'm thinking that if I ditch the scales and just do all the right things, I can stop obsessing and just be happy in the knowledge that I am doing everything right and everything that I can without having the scales needing to verify that.

Dunno ?

As far as I see it, you have a couple of options :)

1. Set yourself more attainable scale goals. If you set yourself up for a fall it will damage your self-esteem and you'll be more likely to veer off path or give up.

2. As you've mentioned, you could ditch the scales. I personally could not do this because I like to use the scales specifically as a gauge of my progress.

3. Use a different way of measuring your progress (but again, attainable goals). Maybe buy a cheap belt from a charity shop, or a pair of cheap shorts / trousers from primark or somewhere that are a size too small and see how you're getting closer to fitting in them (or in the case of the belt, how the notches you use are changing).

I've personally not ditched the scales because that's how I gained weight in the first place and I find they keep me in check, but I'm fairly sure we have at least one lady in this forum (unfortunately I can't remember who) who doesn't weigh in, hopefully she'll see this and post :)

As far as I see it, you have a couple of options :)

1. Set yourself more attainable scale goals. If you set yourself up for a fall it will damage your self-esteem and you'll be more likely to veer off path or give up.

2. As you've mentioned, you could ditch the scales. I personally could not do this because I like to use the scales specifically as a gauge of my progress.

3. Use a different way of measuring your progress (but again, attainable goals). Maybe buy a cheap belt from a charity shop, or a pair of cheap shorts / trousers from primark or somewhere that are a size too small and see how you're getting closer to fitting in them (or in the case of the belt, how the notches you use are changing).

I've personally not ditched the scales because that's how I gained weight in the first place and I find they keep me in check, but I'm fairly sure we have at least one lady in this forum (unfortunately I can't remember who) who doesn't weigh in, hopefully she'll see this and post :)

Thanks hun - great advice as always :)

To be honest, I don't think I'd go without scales either, I need an idea of how I'm doing! Without them, there's nothing to keep you motivated, in my opinion.

It seems to me though that it's not really about whether you weigh yourself or not, it's about you and your levels of confidence and realistic expectations. It's a long road for many of us from where we are now or where we start and where we want to be. Are we all going to do nothing until we get there? No of course not! I don't know about anyone else but I'm certainly not going to give up my social life for the next how ever long until I get to exactly where I want to be, I'm going to enjoy myself along the way! I probably wouldn't drink all day though personally - too many calories! But I'm not going to say well I'm not going to go to my niece's 18th birthday party in July because I won't be where I want to be by then, instead I'll just work my damned hardest to do as well by then as I possibly can! You have to enjoy your life along the way or you'll end up resenting doing any form of dieting etc. Life goes on, you can sit back and watch it or you join in and make the most of it where you're at there and then, your choice!

Thanks for advice everybody :)

Back