Dizzy's Diary - Fitness First! Weightloss too now.

Enjoyed the gym today. :) 750 calories and 20 lengths in the pool. Did feel tired and hungry on return though. Hope I'm fit for my step aerobics class in the morning as I have agreed to meet a friend there who is going for the first time and only got the confidence to go as she knows I will be there.

I am still thinking through what course to follow next. I think counting calories more strictly is probably good advice. So if something slips in my gob that isn't in the plan:whoopass: I'm following I can adjust for it. Accurately too not by just skipping the next scheduled meal.

I also thought I will start myself a list of all the factors that I know contribute to me 'going off course' shall we say.:rolleyes:

Good Luck with your journey this time. It must be great to know that your clients are doing so well on your advice. Will give you great confidence to patiently work through the plans when the time comes.

Dizzy x

List of reasons I 'go off course' ie nibble, graze or binge.

This list is to help me understand, allow me to make strategies and be a constant reminder of what to be on guard for and how to deal. Advice of course is always welcome. This list will be a work in progress I will add to it as I remember as alas these factors are so easily forgotten hence the need for this list!

I guess I need to make the strategies for avoidance part of my every day routine and eventually a habit.

Identifying these factors and permanently writing them down is the first step for me.

1. The main culprit for me is tiredness. In fact tiredness is the root of many of the other factors. Strategies to combat this. Early to bed, eat healthy foods!

2. Not drinking enough water. Doesn't come easily I have to use my journal and set daily challenges. I may try the technique of filling up the required amount in bottles in the morning and reaching for them through the day.

3 Not organising my day and using my journal. I have to work very hard at being organised. When I use my journal and really focus on being organised I get loads done, eat well and feel successful and HAPPY! If I organised my meals ahead and use my journal almost obsessively it works really well. This can be tiring to keep up though!:( :rolleyes:

4. Feeling in a low mood. Really this is caused by all of above they are all interelated, but all warning signs I need to pick up on.

Well that's a good start all the main culprits.

Dizzy x

Last edited:
Well hello!

Sorry your having such a rubbish time hun, its so hard when ye lose your focus isnt it!?

I like your culprits list...maybe I should do one!

Anyway, just wanna send ye some good vibes & hope you get sorted!!

Great starting list Diz, at least you can recognise the problems, which is half the battle!

This list is to help me understand, allow me to make strategies and be a constant reminder of what to be on guard for and how to deal. Advice of course is always welcome. This list will be a work in progress I will add to it as I remember as alas these factors are so easily forgotten hence the need for this list!

I guess I need to make the strategies for avoidance part of my every day routine and eventually a habit.

Identifying these factors and permanently writing them down is the first step for me.

1. The main culprit for me is tiredness. In fact tiredness is the root of many of the other factors. Strategies to combat this. Early to bed, eat healthy foods!

2. Not drinking enough water. Doesn't come easily I have to use my journal and set daily challenges. I may try the technique of filling up the required amount in bottles in the morning and reaching for them through the day.

3 Not organising my day and using my journal. I have to work very hard at being organised. When I use my journal and really focus on being organised I get loads done, eat well and feel successful and HAPPY! If I organised my meals ahead and use my journal almost obsessively it works really well. This can be tiring to keep up though!:( :rolleyes:

4. Feeling in a low mood. Really this is caused by all of above they are all interelated, but all warning signs I need to pick up on.

Well that's a good start all the main culprits.

Dizzy x

Can identify with so many of them Dizzy. Well done in putting them down in a list - hopefully it will start the process of making you realise what's going wrong so you can halt it before you end up eating.

Hi Dizzy - some good thoughts there, it's important to recognise our weak areas as well as our strong ones and putting these strategies in place is a great way to sort things out. Just putting them down on paper/computer ;) helps to get it out from going round & round in your head.

I think cal counting may help, at least then you can monitor what you're having and adjust as necessary. I've gone over a bit today, but I'll pull it back tomorrow or up my exercise (depending how I feel - bit cack today) but I'm confident I'm still in the losing zone, I haven't gone that far over.

All the best, great start though :)

Hiya Dizzy, I always read with interest as a lot of the time we seem to be going through the same issues, tiredness is a main one for me, and not being organised too. Hard this maintaining lark, we'll get there Im sure x

Have you thought about having a rotating plan? Not sure how that would work with ediets, but I couldn't manage without doing it that way.

Mine is usually for 3 weeks, though when I had the babies, it was just a one week plan which was fine.

It can take a bit of setting up, but once it's there you'll have plans for every day of the week that you can just use day in and day, even week in and out.

I know what I need to make in advance at the weekend, and many things are made in bulk and frozen to last me the month.

You can alter menus if you have more time or if you fancy a change, but otherwise it's all there if needed.

It's very liberating!

OOOOO I`d love to go for a swim......do a few lengths for me.......!

I always do a couple for you Sonya. Met someone in the changing room and was already running late. Had to do my 20 lengths in less than 20 minutes so there was no panting at the end of each length.:p

Just about managed them though.

Dizzy x

Wow well done that was good going......!
I cant wait to lose a little more weight so i can go swimming again

Well hello!

Sorry your having such a rubbish time hun, its so hard when ye lose your focus isnt it!?

I like your culprits list...maybe I should do one!

Anyway, just wanna send ye some good vibes & hope you get sorted!!

Only the diet is rubbish. Life is good really. Although this evening I'm really aggitated and anxious. It started when I heard the news about the mother than murdered her 5 children. Stories like that always seriously upset me and I find it hard to stop thinking about the suffering that the children must have endured during their horrific experience. Especially when they are being 'hurt' by the person they love most in the world. It reminds me of a case that happened in the US when I was living in Canada and the Mother drowned her children (5 again I think may have even been more). During her trial she admitted that one little boy kept saying "I'm sorry mummy" as she chased him around the house. That image has haunted me ever since! Sorry Kazz now I have burdened you with the image too.

This evening we have also had a power cut for almost 3 hours which was also making me feel really anxious. Things like that don't normally bother me. But today it just seemed like another hurdle to stop me keeping up with my daily tasks etc.
When I was trying so hard to stay on track. I'm going to stop now.

I really hope I haven't depressed you too.

Dizzy x

Have you thought about having a rotating plan? Not sure how that would work with ediets, but I couldn't manage without doing it that way.

Mine is usually for 3 weeks, though when I had the babies, it was just a one week plan which was fine.

It can take a bit of setting up, but once it's there you'll have plans for every day of the week that you can just use day in and day, even week in and out.

I know what I need to make in advance at the weekend, and many things are made in bulk and frozen to last me the month.

You can alter menus if you have more time or if you fancy a change, but otherwise it's all there if needed.

It's very liberating!

I don't know why I have been putting off setting a menu plan really. I will do it! I think the boys would get bored having the same items each week but I could do a weekly one to start with and then expand it. Thanks for the push KD :superwoman: you nearly always have the answer!

I have been using (on and off, but mostly on) FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home to help me with getting super organised. Like with everything it is 2 steps forward and 1 back but I am getting there. They have 11 commandments I find 2 of them especially hard. 1. Not being fussy/perfectionist about things and 2. not letting the computer be a distraction.

Dizzy x

Last edited:
Oh Dizzy - those stories are awful, no wonder they've got to you, I haven't caught the news this evening, I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow. It's always hard to hear about things like this, and I think as a mum when children are involved it's too close to home and hits hard. I remember (all too vividly) when Dunblaine happened and the guy I was seeing at the time (not Mr Dotty I hasten to add) couldn't understand what I was upset about FFS! Needless to say he didn't last very long, but I know I hugged my DD a lot tighter that night.

Well I don't suppose that has helped cheer you up at all - me neither! Sorry.

Take care, give your lovely boys a big kiss tonight - if they'll let you :rolleyes:
xx

I think the boys would get bored having the same items each week but I could do a weekly one to start with and then expand it.

There's way around this. If you do an 8 day plan, then it takes them a while to suss it out as the same meals won't fall on the same day;)

Another way to do it is to do a 2/3/4 week plan, keeping the main bit the same for each day of the week but doing different things with it.

For example. Monday could be pasta day

Monday week 1 - tuna, sweetcorn, pasta
Monday week 2 - Lasagne
Monday week 3 - pasta with a tomatoey sauce, pesto...whatever
Monday week 4 - Spag bol

Tuesday rice day
Tuesday week 1 - kedgeree
Tuesday week 2 - curry

etc etc

It's an easy way to work it. Cuts out too much thinking time.
you nearly always have the answer!

Only 'nearly' :D :D

Oh poor you. No wonder you feel stressed :D I did flylady for a week once. Never felt the same again;)

Baby steps though. Personally, I can't do baby steps...it was all or nothing for me. Story of my life:eek:

3 more for my list!

First post for a bit. Wanted to add a few more to my list that I have been thinking about for the last few days. 1-5 are as before have added today 5,6 and 7.

3 Not organising my day and using my journal. I have to work very hard at being organised. When I use my journal and really focus on being organised I get loads done, eat well and feel successful and HAPPY! If I organised my meals ahead and use my journal almost obsessively it works really well. This can be tiring to keep up though!

5. Anxiety. Again these are all interrelated but anxiety is definitely worth a mention. I think my increase in picking and then bingeing over the last couple of weeks was related to my anxiety of putting on weight and then anxiety about the bingeing returning and getting out of control. Over the years there has definitely been an increase in the bingeing during periods of high anxiety.

6. Skipping meals, going too long between meals/snacks. I rarely notice being physiologically hungry. I can go for very long periods without eating and usually only notice when I am starting to feel physically unwell. Usually bad headache, migraine. Obviously this is very related to being more organised. I have worked on this this week. For example I took a banana to the gym to have between gym and swim yesterday as I don't get back until 2pm and then by the time I get lunch it's 2.30 pm The previous week once I started eating at 2.30pm after the gym and swim session I couldn't stop.

7. This is a more specific cause that I noticed the last few weeks. With doing the Gi diet I have had lots of nuts, easy to hand to nibble. Often it has been the first thing I have reached for as a snack. But of late I can't control myself with eating a few. My eating of nuts gradually escalated over this time and then would start me off eating other less healthy stuff. Ofcourse nuts too are VERY CALORIFIC and so really best to avoid now for a bit. Will make those I need for cooking/recipes much less easily accessible. But for now I am doing without.

Update on how I'm Doing!

Haven't got my diary back on track yet and avoided it again for a few more days. Not purposely, just have been doing well and not wanted to upset things. Which maybe the pressure of reporting on the diary adds to.

Haven't been following my specific menu plan from ediets either. Last week I felt my binge eating was returning and this was very scarey. Hence me writing my lists! I also read a bit more about Binge Eating Disorder. It is very scarey/embarassing to admit it but I suffer with this. Absolutely and definitely. Probably starting at school when starting to skip meals and diet. It was not really of much concern to me for many years because it wasn't massive binges or very frequent and my exercise kept my weight within normal range.

It was in the last couple of years that it has been more of a concern for me, more frequent and extreme and caused significant weight gain. It has not felt pleasureable to me and felt like self harming more than so called 'comfort eating'. Reading the b-eat web page gave me more acceptance of this, made me less ashamed and gave me great hope than it is very curable.

I really confessed and confided in Mizzy who has been blissfully ignorant of this part of my life over the 17 years we have been together. Since then the anxiety has lifted and the bingeing or even simple overeating has stopped. I have not followed the plan as again i was worried the pressure of sticking to the plan may be too much but have eaten well Gi style most of the time and eaten family meals in the evenings.

Exercise has been FAB! Been to the gym everyday this week despite having a sorethroat, slight cold. Swimming too yesterday and aerobics today. Feeling great. Everyday I go through the day without bingeing I feel a sense of achievement and relief. My eating this week has felt so normal and so right. My weight has stayed around the 12 stone 2lb but as TOTM started this morning hopefully the pounds will start to go down again next week. But for now that seems so much less important.

Fitness and Emotional Health are coming first now and the pounds will come off when they are ready to.

Tempting to keep my food diary again I may very well start it up again soon as it is going so well. Just don't want to start feeling under unnecessary pressure.

Phew glad I've got all that out and down!

My mum rang in the middle of me writing this and chatted for a good 1/2 hour so hoping it is not too grammatically embarassing. There are so many teachers here on Minimins it is quite unnerving! LOL

Look at that pick up time for kids from School and no housework done today. How did that happen?

Dizzy x

Last edited:
Fitness and Emotional Health are coming first now and the pounds will come off when they are ready to.
Dizzy x

Hi Dizzy

That's sounds so right and that you're head is in a much better place now, it's great that you feel you've had a good week in terms of your eating and it certainly sounds like you've got things under control at the moment - so well done for that, a major achievement in anyone's book.

It's good that you feel you've been able to be open about having an eating disorder, I think this site is wonderful that we can air things we may normally choose not to and not feel judged.

You're doing a really great job and I think getting your fitness sorted will make you feel better in so many ways and the weight loss will come in it's own time and almost be a bonus.

Keep up the good work Dizzy - lovely to read your diary again.
xxxx

I really think you are approaching this the right way Dizzy. Gold star to you!

star.jpg

It is much better to be healthy and fit than permanently stressing about food.

As for the binge eating disorder, me too. :( . All my life i have done it;

Binge-eating disorder and Compulsive Overeating
B.E.D. and Compulsive Overeating the facts

If you binge eat, you may eat large amounts of food in a short period of time (perhaps not at a normal mealtime) and feel a lack of control during these binges, but unlike someone with bulimia nervosa, you do not try to get rid of the food. You may feel your eating is out of control, eat what you think of as an unusually large amount of food, eat much more quickly in these binges, eat until you are uncomfortably full, eat large amounts of food when you are not hungry or eat alone. You do this for very similar reasons to someone with bulimia.
Compulsive overeating involves ‘picking’ at food all day. There may be different reasons why you do this, but as with eating disorders, food and eating is used as a way of dealing with difficult feelings. If you compulsively overeat or binge eat, you may feel depressed or inadequate because you cannot control your eating, which can lead to further eating and weight gain.

:thankyou: Madam Dotty for your comments they made me feel a bit emotional especially to hear someone else actually say I have a problem. It's all part of acceptance and coping though and so nice to know I am among friends who understand.

Hi Bex

What a pair we are! I think I have a combination of the two disorders. The binge eating is the only one that has reemerged since losing the weight. My binges aren't "huge" though but big enough that I would be embarassed to list what I ate, even if I could remember. I never plan or shop for my binges either. They are never intentional. :thankyou: for your friendship.

Still feeling great now. No problems, struggles or anxieties with my eating at all.

Scales are moving in the right direction now that TOTM is nearing an end too.

11 stone 13lb this morning so comfortably back into normal range now. :clap:

Dizzy x

Back