Do I need an on-line membership?

halcyon

I'm definitely going to join slimming world, I just need to know what is the best way to go about it. I know there's loads of info on Mininins I just wonder whether its worth getting an on-line membership or is buying the books off Ebay the same thing? What's the difference? What do I get if I join the on-line membership? Are the recipes worth getting an on-line membership for? :confused:

Hope you guys don't mind all the questions.

Thanks in advance. :)

I would recommend joining a group.

On-line is good if you want up to date information but you don't get the support of a consultant.

Books off Ebay are okay, but you pay through the nose and you may as well pay a tenner to join a group!

Depends what you want really, if you need a weekly independant WI then group is the way to go. If you want the commitment of joining but can't make or don't want to join a group then online is good.
If you can do it all on your own, with maybe out of date material and using the advice and support on here then there's another option.

I'm a group girl, always have been. I need it!

If this is your first time doing SW, then join a group, even if it's just for the one class so that you can get all the information and books you need. And there is a real live person to ask questions if you are confused about anything, and they will give you their mobile number so you can ask questions even outside of group time! I think for first timers you need the group at first to get the hang of it. Of course there is always Minimins too! But the extra support in real life will be a great help at first. Then after a week or a few weeks you can decide what's best for you, whether it's to stay at a group, join online or go it alone armed with the info & of course minimins ;) :)

If you are first timer go along to a group. If you are rejoining go whichever way you prefer. ebaying the books cos a bomb (been there done that), online is good, if you want somewhere to get recipes and keep track of your progress (but you can do that on here), i joined online cos the thought of spending £60 was another motivational factor (if i didnt stick to it i would be wasting £60) plus i'm not a social person and don't do groups.

I would have to agree and say to join a group, even if it only for the first week. You get all the materials you need and the consultant will sit down with you and go through the programme.

You will also get 4 weeks (rounghly) of the online service as well so this will give you time to decide if you like the site and want to spend on online membership.

Best of luck whichever you choose!! x

I couldn't join a group either. I've done SW successfully at home but put the weight back on and have gone for SW online. The parts I enjoy the most are:
Online diary to try and keep on track
Syns online and HE online so it's easy and quick to access info.
Body challenges. I've completed a few of these and it's great to see how far I've travelled on my treadmill.
Recipe section where you can just put in a food and it gives you all the recipes.
Weekly weigh-in although I've not been doing too well recently so I haven't enjoyed this bit! lol
Access to all the SW books from the online bookshop.
You initially join for 3 months and then decided if you want to continue. I only planned to join for 3 months, and even though I haven't done too well recently, I'm planning on continuing as I enjoy the site and I have lost weight and not put it on.

However if the cost is too much I have also followed the plan at home with the use of forums and this has also worked.

Good Luck. :)

Im on my 5th doing SW, only having ever dabbled with it previously. I too looked at doing it online as cant get to classes but the price really put me off. I ended up buying the starter kit from ebay and then doing hours of research online and of course here and found it fairly straight forward after the first week. I have no discipline what so ever but have found this diet so simple that I dont actually feel like i'm on a diet.
For me, to see the weight coming off is enough to keep me motivated and theres always plenty of help and advise on minimins :)

Good luck! Remember this forum is a great (and free!) guide to SW, complete with helpful members who can answer any questions you might have :)

I don't think I could do SW without the online membership.
I am constantly checking syn values and without it I'd be lost.
I tried just buying the things from ebay before and found it was all just too confusing and too much that I never actually managed to loose anything :(
Maybe if you do find it hard after you've tried it see if the membership will help

This is my second time with SW, first time i went to group every week and lost 4 and half stone, so its now 5 years since my last group and today armed with all new books which i brought of ebay, i am going it alone. The thing is you are not really alone, you have all the lovely people here to help you :) Good Luck!!!!

Well I lost 7lbs the first week I did it alone, (It was only cause work got in the way of group that week and I wanted to get started) but if you can track down the inserts from the paperr that had them just after xmas, and get yourself an up to date copy of the food optimising book and you should be fine, the main thing I would miss is the syn values online but you can always get a food directory (make sure it's this years one since some have changed)
I personally love going to group and knowing that if I have a bad day our consultant is only a phone call or text away.

Back