do the same rules apply?

staceyporter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me
I know if you remove the batter from fish and the skin from chicken it is free I was wondering if anyone knows of this rule applies for things like battered chicken burgers from the pizza shop and other battered items that you buy like chicken in breadcrumbs?

I doubt it - after all the burger will not be 100% chicken but will also include all sorts of fillers and crap - an ordinary burger is not syn free so a battered one without the batter would not be either

Sorry!

The thing about batter is that it will absorb any fat that it is cooked in, as long as there is a good coating of it without any gaps. So what is inside the batter will not have come into contact with the fat and should not have taken any on board. Normally the batter will peel away completely, taking all the fat with it.

Conversely, if what is inside the batter has a fat content, then that fat has nowhere to go. Think about a sausage - when you cook it in a frying pan or a grill, loads of fat comes out into the pan and you can discard that. If it is cooked in batter, then the batter will absorb some of that fat but I think that there would be more left in the sausage than if it were grilled.

Breadcrumbs are rather different - they are not such a solid coating and are also less easy to get off when cooked. And they are very absorbent.

And Circes is right - you would have no way of knowing what the content of the burger is. You can get all-meat burgers, but I doubt if that is what the average chip shop is serving!

My consultant says chicken is not the same as fish, because whilst the batter absorbs all the fat from the fish, the breadcrumbs don't do the same with the chicken. This is why the chicken will taste greasy but the fish doesn't. xxx

Back