Do u or dont u?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I hate the 'eat to live, don't live to eat' mantra! I understand that that is the way to go forward but I still don't like it.

For me, I love me food (like everyone else here) SW enables me to eat myself silly and still lose weight.

Also, I don't see the treat thing as a reward for losing weight, I see it as something to keep me sane. I can't just jump from my bad diet to a 100% good diet straight away, it wouldn't work. So the 'treat nights' are just a small link which will gradually fade out as I learn to stop craving them.

As I said, if it's not hurting weight loss, there is no harm in it. Yes, you could lose weight faster if you didn't have them but i'd rather take the scenic route and have fish and chips after weigh in then exclude my treat altogether and get to my target faster.

xx

I'm sorry, but on what basis do you say this? I consider being in the obese category to still be in the 'lots to lose' group, no matter what I currently weigh or plan to set as my target.

I think what she meant was it is easier for those with more weight to lose to stray off the plan and still lose weight. If you have less to lose, you need to stick more rigidly to the diet.

It was, in my opinion in no way lessening the value of you're opinion on the subject, it was merely pointing out that as you have less weight to lose than some of the other posters your view is going to be naturally biased towards what you have to do to lose the weight.

xx

Ugh, I hate the 'eat to live, don't live to eat' mantra! I understand that that is the way to go forward but I still don't like it.

For me, I love me food (like everyone else here) SW enables me to eat myself silly and still lose weight.

Also, I don't see the treat thing as a reward for losing weight, I see it as something to keep me sane. I can't just jump from my bad diet to a 100% good diet straight away, it wouldn't work. So the 'treat nights' are just a small link which will gradually fade out as I learn to stop craving them.

As I said, if it's not hurting weight loss, there is no harm in it. Yes, you could lose weight faster if you didn't have them but i'd rather take the scenic route and have fish and chips after weigh in then exclude my treat altogether and get to my target faster.

xx

Here here!! As they say slow and steady wins the race.. if u lose it to fast itl go straight back on again.. just my opinion before anyone says anything lol

I dont anymore!!! I used to every week - but since the lbs have come off, i just dont get a loss if i have a treat night now.

Last week - good example - had a treat night, then gained 3lbs.

This week i have not had any treat night - and hope to lose this evening! x

I think if that happened to me i would stop it as then that wud prove that its havin an affect on my losses but while it isn’t il still do it but as i say i dont go crazy.. good luck for 2nte :D

Admittedly, having a treat after WI is not something that SW advise or encourage and does not formulate part of the plan in the way they see it.

However, I was once watching an episode of The Biggest Loser, and Bob Harper was doing one of those weight loss tip fill-ins that they have around the advert breaks sometimes.

This particular tip WAS to have one "off plan" meal per week, that you really enjoy and wouldnt have as part of your diet programme. They do this in The Biggest Loser house too. Not only does it prevent people from "falling off" plan by feeling deprived, it also gives your metabolism a kick in the pants out of its routine.

As I said, its not remotely being "on plan" in the strictest sense of the word, but at the same time, if its one meal out of 21 and the others are all very healthy, then overall, its not going to massively impact on progress.

Good advice Minx - i had to have a meal off plan last night *(wedding taster!) and i didnt know how my food was cooked or what was in it - and therefore, i would say that this week, that was my 1/21 off plan meals!

x

I'm sorry, but on what basis do you say this? I consider being in the obese category to still be in the 'lots to lose' group, no matter what I currently weigh or plan to set as my target.

On the biological fact that those who weigh more have a higher BMR than those who are lighter as they have more weight to cart around. Someone who is fifteen stone may have lots to lose - its still less than 20 stone which is still less than 25 stone which is less than 30 stone etc. As you get lighter your BMR goes down so you can eat less calories to maintain a similar weight loss. Someone who is 25 stone can 'get away with' (for want of a better phrase) eating more - in fact it wouldn't be in their best interests to stick to a minimal calorie intake as their body would adjust to this being its intake and find it difficult to adjust to eating even less as their weight loss slowed down. Whereas the body of someone ten stone less hasn't got the same choices as it would be harder for them to fit as many "treats" in as their BMR is lower.

This completely irrelevant to the question, and seems to suggest (albeit I'm sure it was not your intention) that the opinion of someone who not in your weight category on this subject is not valid. At the endo f hte day we are all overweight to varying degrees. It shouldn't matter how much we still have to loose.

Sorry I didnt know I had to stick to the original question to the last letter, I thought this was a general chat forum where any opinion was welcome :confused: WTF makes you think I think someone not in "my weight category"'s opinion isnt valid? :confused: I just seemed to get shot down from the beginning on this thread by half the population saying they dont approve of my way of life with the get out "BUT" (its all up to the individual...)"

xx

Exactly! Its not a reward for anything, its just part of my life that I love good food and I dont want to live a life where I can never have a bloody good curry and nice bottle of wine again! I dont want a life on a diet, I want a life of healthy eating with the odd occasion where I can splash out!

I think what she meant was it is easier for those with more weight to lose to stray off the plan and still lose weight. If you have less to lose, you need to stick more rigidly to the diet.

It was, in my opinion in no way lessening the value of you're opinion on the subject, it was merely pointing out that as you have less weight to lose than some of the other posters your view is going to be naturally biased towards what you have to do to lose the weight.

xx

Thankyou Stackhead, that is what I meant.

On the biological fact that those who weigh more have a higher BMR than those who are lighter as they have more weight to cart around. Someone who is fifteen stone may have lots to lose - its still less than 20 stone which is still less than 25 stone which is less than 30 stone etc. As you get lighter your BMR goes down so you can eat less calories to maintain a similar weight loss. Someone who is 25 stone can 'get away with' (for want of a better phrase) eating more - in fact it wouldn't be in their best interests to stick to a minimal calorie intake as their body would adjust to this being its intake and find it difficult to adjust to eating even less as their weight loss slowed down. Whereas the body of someone ten stone less hasn't got the same choices as it would be harder for them to fit as many "treats" in as their BMR is lower.

Sorry I didnt know I had to stick to the original question to the last letter, I thought this was a general chat forum where any opinion was welcome :confused: WTF makes you think I think someone not in "my weight category"'s opinion isnt valid? :confused: I just seemed to get shot down from the beginning on this thread by half the population saying they dont approve of my way of life with the get out "BUT" (its all up to the individual...)"

You have missed the point I was making, I imagine given your tone deliberately so you can have an argument with someone, Sorry, won't be obliging you on this one. Over & Out.

WTF was that all about?:confused:

I think some of you guys have been harsh on ermintrude and in fairness have been appearing to attack her posts since pretty near the beginning of the thread with her trying to defend what she has said. Not everyone can instantly put what they mean down on a page and on a forum things can read differently to different people depending on how they read it. From my reading of this people have been attacking poor ermintrude.

I have to agree that one meal out of 21 off isn't the end of the world. Of course you can't totally blow it. Our stand in C on Tuesday was telling us about a member who had been having about 125 syns as her post WI blow out. I think even for someone with a lot to loose that would be too much and even if they were amazing the rest of the week they would only loose small amounts. For someone very close to target that would almost certainly cause a gain.

I used to have a takeaway or off plan meal after slimming world but now I tend to just have a pack of skittles or something like that. Not particularly because I stopped losing weight, more to do with the fact that I'm so busy on a wed evening after sw with brownies or work that a jacket potato etc seems the quickest and most convenient thing to have lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

i agree someone people were jus gettin quite rude about ermintrudes posts.. this started as "do or dont" conversation and some people just became over opininated and didnt expect a reaction back

I'm not a big fan of that saying either! I guess it's because I love food and will always love food. Food will never be "fuel" for me. It's got to look delectable and taste great. I definitely live to eat!

And about the differing opinions, let's just agree to disagree. It's unfair and bad debating ettiquette to offer your opinion and then get huffy because someone disagrees. I think we can all table our feelings without attacking each other. Easier said than done but worth a shot.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are getting so worked up and attacking Ermintrude for what she does. She has adopted a way that works for her and is in my opinion well thought out. In anycase there's a whole lengthy thread on here that details people's 'off plan' habits and nobody has felt the need to attack other people's 'tweaking' of the plan. Confused.com.

personaly i dont ..treat after weigh in because years ago on sw it was held in a pub and well that treat would be me falling over drunk..leading to me having junk foods on way home followed by morning hang over then well more junk foods ..

im happy to say this time im on plan 100% and dont feel like im missing out on anything .. so in my dim head i feel this time it could work all the way to target fingers crossed!!

Also I notice a lot of the people saying they wouldn't do this dont have as much to lose as the 20-25+ stoners amongst us, so that makes total sense, you couldn't get away with it at that weight, but similarly it would be madness for those of us who *are* this huge to restrict ourselves too much this soon - or where the hell are we going to go when we *do* start to slow down

For me it was nothing to do with how much I had to lose. I didn't do it when I was 18 stone or at any point in the weight loss. My thinking was that if I could do it while staying on plan why on earth would I choose to do it off plan instead? And when things slow down I believe you need to look at your portion control and amount of free foods rather than syns. I eat the same amount of syns now as I did when I started and throughout -or if anything more because now you can have 15

There has been a lot of interesting points made here. Just goes to show that we do not all need to agree all the time even though we are all on the same journey (bleuch the 'j' word) :)

I have been allowing myself treats after getting a sticker and also on payday (end of the month). Not a massive blow out, but an off plan evening with wine and a take away. However as the months have gone on I have been less and less bothered about wine and take away food, I have been missing wine gums however so I usually polish off a full bag when I allow myself an off plan night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back