Extra Easy Do you exercise or just follow the plan?

Afliesmum

Hi all,

This is my first post here although I have been a long term browser :) I started SW at home on Tuesday and so far it's going really well.
I'm just wondering do you just follow the plan or do you exercise too? I have lost 4lb in 4 days just from following the plan (although I do walk the dog for an hour a day). Just wondering what works for everyone really...

Hi all,

This is my first post here although I have been a long term browser :) I started SW at home on Tuesday and so far it's going really well.
I'm just wondering do you just follow the plan or do you exercise too? I have lost 4lb in 4 days just from following the plan (although I do walk the dog for an hour a day). Just wondering what works for everyone really...

Hi :wavey:

congrats on your 4lb that's great! I've been back on SW 2 weeks and lost 6lb so similar to you. To be honest my exercise wasn't enough until about 6 weeks ago was rubbish so got into walking, just a couple of miles at a time but regularly. It's great that you walk the dog for an hour but I know myself that doing added exercise has really helped me as the diet makes me want to exercise and vice versa. I wouldn't try and do too much but maybe if you just add in a different form of exercise ie ive got into a Pilates dvd and just ordered a workout dvd it gives you an extra buzz and tones you as you loose the weight.

Good luck :)

I always find that my losses slow down when I start exercising, but I just have to power through then after 3 weeks or so I see them really pick up. Exercise is a great thing - it improves your health in all kinds of ways, not just weight loss. Increase in energy, improved mood, more flexibility etc. Go for it!

Firstly, welcome on board and good luck with your SW journey.

Secondly, try not to weigh too often - difficult, I know - because our weight fluctuates daily. It can be discouraging to see a 'good' reading one day, followed by a 'bad' one the next day when you've been 100% on plan. This is why SW recommend weighing just once a week at the same time.

Thirdly (and on topic at last!), you will find a real mix concerning exercise. Some do none, some are real gym bunnies and others fall in between. As has already been stated, there are many health benefits to exercising but it doesn't have to mean going to the gym or doing anything really strenuous - as you already walk the dog for any hour a day, could you walk a little longer or a little further and/or a little faster - perhaps even jog a little? You a more likely to stick with something you can build in to your day.

I do quite a lot of exercise when I'm eating on plan. I do find it slows my losses (a mix of muscle gain and water retention) but I also get smaller, when I did SW the first time round, I was 9 stone but flabby, my last time doing it I was the same clothes size at 11 stone because my body was toned. It really is whichever suits you best, you can and will lose weight just by eating correctly, but you probably wont end up "slim" without exercise. You don't have to do anything challenging, just enough to raise your heartbeat and keep healthy.

I've always done a lot of exercise so I think my body is just used to it. I cycle to work (9 miles a day), walk or cycle everywhere (I don't own a car), and play basketball and netball (each 1-2 times a week).

I can't afford a gym membership so I'm going to start doing some body weight exercises at home (e.g. squats, lunges, push-ups, tricep dips) as I want to be a bit more toned!

Back