Do you have PCOS?

hcocker said:
Hi, has anyone gone down from a BMI of around 27 to a 25 or below and found that they have been able 2 conceive as a result? We have been trying 4 the past 5 years with no luck but i have heard that it should only affect fertility if ur BMI is over 29 so am unsure whether losing weight will make all that much difference! I know i still need 2 get 2 a healthy weight anyway but just dont wanna pin all my hopes on losing weight! I still have a period every month but not with a regular cycle ( tends 2 b between 28 to 34 day cycles) - is it possible 2 av periods like this n not b ovulating? Thanx in advance 4 any advice! Xx

I have not been trying to conceive but I did go from a BMI Of 29 to.25 3 years ago which improved my regularity from every 35 days to every 29! They say even a 5% weightloss couldb help your chances!

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

I have PCOS and was diagnosed in my late teens, but i seem to have the opposite issue as everyone else concerning periods...i have 2/3 a month for about 6 months, then nothing for the next few and then back to 2/3 a month (i also have endometriosis (lucky me :() so maybe that could be causing the difference in periods??) i can't go on the pill as allergic to most of them and tried depo and put on 4 st in 3 months (aarrgghh) and have spent the last 10 years arguing with those 4 stone too.

I find i have to have a very rich iron diet, for obvious reasons losing so much blood, or i get really light headed and weak.

I've been on every medication going in the last 16 years (god showing my age now lol) and to be honest the only thing i take now is painkillers...which i only take on the *curled up in pain in the corner days, as they turn me into a zombie (hubby prob likes the quiet! :p

They did put me on Norethisterone (what *lucky normal girls* take when they go on holiday to stop periods) to try and regulate me, but, my god, the pain and volume when i stop taking them (tmi - sorry) really isn't worth it for me, unless i'm actually going on holiday that is anyways (then i take what i can get)

I find i lose pretty slowly, but at least it's moving huh!
Hairy yes, odd spot yes, but nowhere near as bad as some lasses, so i'm grateful for that at least.

Also no chance of pregnancy for me (doesn't bother me in the slightest as don't want children, never have, please don't jump on me for that :mad:)
Anyways...i guess this is all just waffle, i just wanted to introduce myself being a newbiw and all...

Hi i be Gem, or Pixie, or just Oi shorty :p xx

Last edited:
i have PCOS was diagnosed at 19 while trying to conceive ,at the time i was told absoloutly nothing and just sent away with a lovely nhs leaflet i was so upset at just being told i would prob never have children and got offered no help or support ...so for 2 years i got on with life ,then i lost a couple of stone and my oh my i fell pregnant and had a healthy boy ,although i couldnt breast feed due to milk not coming in ,i thought i was dud !!but when i got the internet i started doing my research and found out that i could take metafomin so went to see doc when son was 6 (nearly 8 years since being told) i went on the tabs and although they didnt help with weight or excess hair they did regulate my periods and mood swings ...then 4 years ago i lost another couple of stone and oops fell with my second yep the tabs helped make me more fertile ..i looked into the breast feeding and found that it was quite a common thing with PCOS so was a bit happier ..now i am still over weight but have 2 healthy children
Anyway all my babbling it surprises me how little british doctors know about this condition when you look online and find the americans are so much more advanced on it !!
so the answer i have PCOS lol

hi, i also have pcos, i was scanned in "97" (a year after the birth of my eldest daughter) and the gave up the count on both side at 30 plus lol so it was pretty bad so they said lol my symptoms weren't that bad then just month long periods when i got them, now i'm 36 i suffer with hair growth which is great on my head loads of long hair but on my face its terrible i shave my tash every couple of days :sigh: and if i wear shorts or skirts i have to do my legs every day, so i tend not to bother any more thank god for linen trousers :) xxxx hopefully losing weight will help get rid of some of the problems xxxx

I have pcos and i think mine is due to the weight i have put on, i have bad skin, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, excess weight around my middle, hardly any periods although im on hormones and after taking 3 packs and having a 7 day breaki finally got my first period in over a year :D it was quite painful but i have endometriosis as well but to be honest i was over the moon at having a period, i do have alot of hair but luckily its blonde so its hardly noticable (touch wood it stays like that), im hoping that once ive lost the weight i want to loose that my symptoms will disappear...fingers crossed.

Hi Everyone!!

It'll have PCOS too and have all the usual symptoms, weight gain, facial hair and totally abnormal periods!! I've recently lost 36lbs and still going! I'm onto n any meds r anything but just wondering if Metformin or Birth Control may help???

Thanks Jane xxx

Hi everyone, I'm 32 and have been recently been diagnosed with PCOS after 12 months + of trying to conceive. I need to lose a few stone to help me on my journey and am trying to discover a healthy eating plan to suit me and that works! I have tried WW and SW in the past but always reach a plateau and then stop so I am looking for something that will change my life - am I asking too much!!
Today is also my first day taking Metformin so am not feeling great, but I am hoping that I will get used to it and it will help me on my journey. Looking forward to reading the rest of this forum and hopefully getting to know you all and get some tips!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year (after avoiding the issue of very irregular periods throughout the time I was a student - I saw this as a 'convenience') and I had known for a long time that it was extremely likely that I had it. I had most of the symptoms and I was in the process of losing weight when officially diagnosed. My doctor put me on the Pill (Yasmin), which I was worried about as the last time I was put on the Pill (aged 19, wasn't an official PCOS diagnosis but I was young and stupid and didn't want a scan) I had the most terrible period pains and it was something I didn't want to deal with, but apart from the period pains I get at the start of my period I seem to be fine. Still have the facial hair problem which I deal with the best I can but my skin is generally clearer and it's nice being able to predict when my period starts. It's like clockwork now! I don't know how long I will be on Yasmin for but I am sure that my weight loss has played a part in getting things under control. :)

So many of us experiencing the same things... the weight gain facial hair depression and years of trying to conceive... then the meds either work and we feel great.. or don't and we feel even more lost and isolated. Metphormin has given me so much stomach pain and toilet problems that I've been unable to leave the house at times.. and yet other people find it great if they don't have the tummy problems.

It's so hard for all of us. Being active... meeting friends.. having interests.. comfort eating less by getting comfort elsewhere.. these all seem key..

All the best for the journey: yours and mine x

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and an auto immune thingy (yet unknown) Doc has referred me to a rheumatologist and gyne so i might have a second child and hipefully get energy/lose weight. What is usually the first steps taken in treatment?

You might want to google Verity Pcos help.. they have all the answers you'll be looking for.

My understanding is that Because pcos is a syndrome not an illness it's a collection of different symptoms that tend to cluster together. I've had different treatments at different times. Metphormin is often used. Various contraceptive pills are prescribed. Various fertility treatments are provided (eg clomid). But a word of warning: you are unique and what you want and need isn't necessarily the same as other people. Most of us need more activity, more fun things to do, and a healthier diet with fewer instant hits of sugar.

Check out Verity.. they can tell you more x

and don't blame yourself if you're tired, down, and fed up with any of the following:

Unpredictable periods
Infertility
Unpredictable hormones
Hair in male pattern places
Obesity
Depression
Low self esteem
Poor skin
Lack of energy
Increased appetite

.. do think of more fun activities
.. do find out more about low GI diets
.. do have a think about what Your priorities are (fertility? Hair? Periods?)

All the best x we're in this together x

I also have PCOS. Diagnosed this year although had one ovary removed 9 years ago due to a large cyst. Having fertility issues now and have been given the go ahead for ivf (partners sperm are poor quality too!) albeit privately. Also have the usual symptoms of being overweight excess hair, irregular periods. Hoping the weigh tloss will help with all aspects :) xxx

Wow, it's amazing how many of us have got this horrible pcos !! I was diagnosed in spring after years and years of badgering my go he finally referred me, and I was diagnosed, not that that was easy though, my first scan and blood tests were inconclusive ( :0 ) and it was only because I asked for another scan that the cysts were found !! It feels so relieving to find that other ladies who can understand how I'm feeling. I had 2 laparoscopies to remove cysts, endometriosis and to free a trapped ovary - now I'm onto Cambridge to help with the weight... Hope it works for me !!

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years ago, and was just told that "it's harder to lose weight so you have to eat less and move more" (like I didn't know that and wasn't trying that already?!). Anyway, this year, after some further digging I finally received the more useful advice that a Low GI diet may be the best option, and reading everything about it it makes sense. I did follow it and lost about 10lbs, but the last couple of months I've completely slipped back into not only my old ways, but even worse than that and just eating junk! It's really getting me down and I'm trying to get back onto the Low GI wagon. Have joined here in the hope that I'll pick up some tips and advice and some support to help keep me going.

FiFilePeu said:
I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years ago, and was just told that "it's harder to lose weight so you have to eat less and move more" (like I didn't know that and wasn't trying that already?!). Anyway, this year, after some further digging I finally received the more useful advice that a Low GI diet may be the best option, and reading everything about it it makes sense. I did follow it and lost about 10lbs, but the last couple of months I've completely slipped back into not only my old ways, but even worse than that and just eating junk! It's really getting me down and I'm trying to get back onto the Low GI wagon. Have joined here in the hope that I'll pick up some tips and advice and some support to help keep me going.

Hi :) nice to meet ya :) I don't now much about low GI, buuuut , I know it's supposed to be very good for us cysters.... I may try it one day, but for now it's Cambridge for me.... I can totally relate to it getting you down, I feel the same, but we have both joined here and I'll be here to be a shoulder to cry on, moan at or just to talk.
I've just had 2 laparoscopies to remove cysts and as it has taken so so long to get to where I am now, I seem to have acquired quite a bit of knowledge on the ole pcos, so if I can help with anything please holla !! Xx

we need each other.. to realise that it's the condition and not us.. so we don't feel isolated and like we are alone with this.. I find the Verity website helpful, and this place has been amazing.. we can help each other through this :)

x

Come and join me over on the Low-GI diet thread - its too quiet over there at the moment!! I have been following the plan for 2 weeks and feeling loads better about myself and feel like I am almost weaned off chocolate (I did say almost, not quite there yet!) I've not weighed myself yet so I dont know if its made any difference weight wise but I'm hoping it will in the long run. I've just been put on Metformin for my PCOS so am hoping that helps with the weight too.

Good luck to all the people who've joined this thread recently - lets definitely help each other. :)

How are yo finding the metformin? I was put on it once, but it made me feel so poorly, I don't think I lasted longer than a couple of days xx

I have PCOS, I went to a private fertility hospital in Turkey when I was there and they told me there are 3 levels of PCOS and I now only have slight PCOS (wish my hairy chin would realise this ugh!!) when I was at my heaviest it was chronic PCOS.... so I am happy with that... still unpleasant but he doesnt see now that having a baby will be a big problem with the Clomid he has given me :D so heres hoping...

Just wanted to drop by to say I know how you all feel xxx

How's the clomid going? have you started it? any side effects? any advice about taking it?

Back