Do you have PCOS?

My GP is investigating me for PCOS.....as a cause of secondary ammenorrhea. Looking through here I guess I do have a couple of symptoms, but never had irregular periods (they just haven't returned after having the depo contraceptive injection).

My GP referred me yesterday for an ultrasound scan after blood tests came back normal.

Hey I put on 5 stone and eventually was diagnosed with pcos. I tried WW and LOTS of exercise but the weight just would not budge. After speaking to my pharmacist she recommended Lipotrim ( liquid diet) and 2 months in I have lost 3 stone, I`ve had a period ( not had any in over 7 months) and alot of my symptoms have gone. I have to go to the endo in few months so just going to really make sure I keep it off!!

I have syndrome x, but I didnt know until I was diagnosed with a scan of my ovaries and uterus after severe pain following the birth of my DD (14 ys ago). It wasnt until a year later that I had an insulin sensitivity test that was positive.

I have all the symptoms - no periods, acne, facial hair, super hairy arms and legs (like a mans), yet the hair on my head is thinning and receding, weight gain, it took 3 years each to fall with my children ( I am so lucky to have them) I was unable to breast feed because my breasts arent fully developed. I have vitamin D deficiency, and more recently have pernicious anaemia.
I took spironolactone for 5 years and all it did was give me swollen ankles. I have had laser treatment and spent so much money trying to feel good about a body I hate.

It is so hard to lose weight with this curse.
This time I am doing a low GI diet (putting all the dieticians information to good use) and exercising.... and I dont mean working out 3 times a week... I mean breaking a sweat for an hour EVERY day. Sugar is my enemy and that unfortunatley means fruit and root vegetables too until my weight is under control, although I enjoy the odd bowl of strawberries :) I have had 2 periods in the last 5 months which is as much as the last 2 years! so thats an obviuos improvement and my skin is better.

weight.png

I went to see my doctor because I had bled for 6 weeks none stop. I got a letter through for a pelvic ultrasound and got my results today that I have PCOS :cry:I got told that I will never have children, which broke my heart. Although I have heard a lot of women who got told they have it, went on and had children. I guess the only thing I can do is see when the times come when I am ready to settle down :sigh:

I also Have POS, was diagnosed around 4 years ago now. Its so nice to know theres others in the same situation as me. My weight had been getting me down for so many years, and i knew i needed to lose weight, so decided to join Slimming World in 2010, and went on to lose 7 stone, in just over a year and a half :D I'd never felt so good! Yet here i find myself again, 4 stone heavier :( desperatly trying to get it off, it just wont budge. Has anyone any tips on how to speed things up, especially around the mid-section! Hope to hear from you all soon x

I was diagnosed last september, put on the pill and told to lose weight and she'd see about taking me off the pill when i get to 11 stone. Well I stuck with the pill for 6 months and ended up going docs on wednesday cos they gave me bad depressive moods, i've lost 11.5 pound and she said she could see i'd lost weight, but i'm no where near target yet. But she took me off the pills, i have to continue losing weight but she hasn't given me a different pill or metformin, she's seeing if my body can sustain itself now its lost some more weight. If it doesnt in the next few months then she said she will see about a different pill. I have never felt happier, i didn't realise just how much the pill was bringing my mood down.

Well, i've got my ultrasound tomorrow to check for PCOS......bit worried about it but realise its gotta be done!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 16. I started showin signs at 15 when my periods became irregular and i gained weight in a short amount of time. I have always been overweight since a child but in the past 5 years since being diagnosed i have put on about 8 stones! I do have bad eating habits so its not all PCOS, but it sure hasnt helped!

I have ALOT of the symptoms. :(

Got to go for my tests tomorrow, eek.

I have PCOS, with all the classic symptoms alas! I've been told that It's almost a sure thing that I can't have children. That was a real blow to me, because even though I'm 19 and wouldn't dream of a baby now I had dreams for the future.

Defy the docs thats my aim for when times right. Ive made a start by losing 4 stone. Another stone to go.

I have PCOS, with all the classic symptoms alas! I've been told that It's almost a sure thing that I can't have children. That was a real blow to me, because even though I'm 19 and wouldn't dream of a baby now I had dreams for the future.

Well, whoever told you that should read the more recent literature :D Ignore them - it's not true.. (unless you have some other medical condition that you haven't mentioned like.. erm.. having no reproductive organs!)

a) being active, having fun, doing lots of fun activity, and eating yummy healthy food (especially low GI) whilst staying off the unhealthy junk will make a big differnce. Loosing weight makes a huge difference and can make a huge difference.. if it's mainly insulin resistance then just like early stages of type 2 diabetes (eg metformin dependent) can actually be completely reversed with a healthy weight, active life and suitable diet -IT IS ALL POSSIBLE

b) there are plenty of helpful medications and treatments that can turn things round too..

I have advanced/severe pcos and was told clearly that I needed to not leave it past the age of 35, but that there was plenty they could do :)

You have options, and you have a life to enjoy so come here for support and don't let pcos get you down xx

have you been to verity website? worth checking out :)

x

how did it go? xx

The scanning lady said that everything looked ok......still got to go back to my GP for the official results though.

Went to see a different Doctor today, a nice one as well. He has put me on the pill to help regulate my periods, he basically told me not to worry about it until I am trying for a baby and struggling to conceive. (It may never come to that as well) What a huge relief! :)

Went to see a different Doctor today, a nice one as well. He has put me on the pill to help regulate my periods, he basically told me not to worry about it until I am trying for a baby and struggling to conceive. (It may never come to that as well) What a huge relief! :)

My endo doc wont put me on the pill and says it messes up your hormones even more/...now i am really confused

Hi ladies, i too suffer from PCOS and yup for me too the excessive hair is a nightmare, im not vain but i do have pride in how i look ;) im on metformin and have been for a while, they do help slightly so im sticking with them. But the weight gain and then trying to lose it for ivf has a been a struggle and at times when ive done my best and not seen a weight loss its downright disheartening.
So its nice to see others here who can sit at their computer screens and nod their head in understanding :)

hey jo i also have pcos i dont take nothing for mine though i was just woundering how long you been on cd i have tried loads of other different diets and find i dont loose nothing i think this is to do with pcos im on day 5 of cd get weighed in 2 days so hoping for a loss this diet feels right for me :) x

Hey Sarah, Im on Slimming world diet so far its been the most successful as its not to restricting i'm sat here not typing this with a cherry tomato in my mouth, im such a picker i pick at foods to instead of a biccy ive got a tomato lol
Good luck for you weigh in, i have mine tomorrow

Back