Do you have PCOS?

let me no how you get on tomorro good luck :) x

Hi girls,

I got diagnosed when I was 17 but treatment was put off because I was battling something else. I'm looking to get it under control (acne....excessive hair....absent periods...) by losing weight. I decided I am going to lose as much weight as I can and if my periods don't come back I'll go on Metformin, as the doc suggested. I'm putting all my hopes on the weight loss though as I will be trying to conceive at some point and had been told when I got diagnosed that it would be very unlikely I'd be able to conceive naturally.

It's funny - I have two best friends and they both have it too (just been diagnosed, in their 30's. It's much more common that I thought!! :D xx

i have pcos and have a child concieved the first month of trying i was 15 stone then and was eating healthy and was taking vitamins x

ive just been to the endo after dropping 78 lbs on lipotrim and he was overjoyed, all my insulin resistance issues have gone, my fatigue has gone, still get a bit of acne and not got periods uyet but i feel a millon times healthier, still advised to take metformin and to see gyny in 3 months to give me hormones and see if they can induce my periods, but losing the weight has relieved so many of the symptoms,

That's really great to hear YodaYoda - I am hoping that does the trick for me too!! I'm sure if 'd got off my backside years ago and lost the weight, it would have stopped it getting worse but hindsight's a wonderful thing :D

Hi girls

i have pcos as well but my dr hasn't even offered to provide any help apart from putting me on the pill that didn't work as it made me suicidal :cry:

Iv heard of acupuncture as a treatment has anyone tried it , ni have to agree about the access hair it's horrible :(

I tried acupuncture, along with Chinese medicine and it didn't do anything to help, however, I'm not convinced she really knew what she was doing as a few weeks into treatment she started asking me questions all over again about what I had! :sigh:

Acupuncture is a relaxing treatment though and if you can find someone recommended I'd say give it a go. I wouldn't pin your hopes on it as a PCOS treatment like I did because the disappointment was terrible. Everyone's different, treatments work for some but not others. I think all we can do is give it a go and see if it works!!

Hi Everyone!

I suffer from PCOS too. My symptoms aren't as severe as others but I put on weight at the drop of a hat, my periods were irregular until I went on the pill and I've got the hairiness. I also get skin tags which is a sign apparently! I'm fairly sure in my case that it's genetic as my Grandma and two of my cousins display symptoms too. I just suffer the worst because I'm the heaviest.

I lost 40lbs three years ago and I must say it relieved my symptoms so much. I am looking forward to seeing an improvement in that too! My doctor also put me on Dianette last year which has worked wonders for both my periods and my hairiness. It hasn't fixed it completely but I must say that not having to shave my legs every summer day is a blessing!

I currently live in Korea where all kinds of beauty treatments are extremely cheap so I'll be going for Laser Hair Removal later in the year- I plan to have my arms, legs, arm pits and chin treated inititally but we'll see about the rest! I can't wait.

I know having PCOS is tough and despite the fact that so many women suffer, it's not widely talked about. I'm glad to see there's a group here providing support :)

oh btw - i have probably needed 7 or 8 treatments on my face for it to be more or less gone. I just have the odd fine hair here and there that only i notice. getting tummy done next. oh yeah and i had underarms done too and have almost no hair underarm too...lol. no more waxing!!!

Hi!! I have PCOS and my GP put me on Spironolactone for acne and it was amazing!!!!! Didn't do much for anything else, but was just glad it worked for skin problems! :)

I have PCOS! They diagnosed me with it when I was 21. My main problems are overweight, hairs, acne and fertility probs.
They prescribed me Metformine because they said it would be helpful but all it did was causing me problems with my stomach and guts that I was scared to leave the house!
They told me I would need help with conceiving one day. I tried it indeed for 8 years and it never worked. Am not trying it anymore now.
Then I started to take a contraceptive pill for about 3 years to moderate the symptoms.
In 2008 I tried Metformine again but it didn't help me, probably due to the fact that I had no insuline resistance (not all Pco girls have it!).
I developed a very nasty acne then which was mainly on my limbs with bad bad inflammations and I was like an invalid for 3 years.
So I started to take the strongest available contraceptive pill and after a year the acne disappeared slowly.
I lost 7.2 stone and hoped that the PCOS would disappear but of course it didn't, when I made a blood test at my GP I still had no ovulation. My cycle was ok tho.
Through a bad incident in 2011 I gained nearly all the weight again.
I stopped taking this pill then in March 2012 because I had a lot of pain through it every month.
Now I fight again with acne but "cross fingers" not as bad as it was in the past, I hope it will stay away from me.
And now I'm ready to start again with my weight loss and hope that after losing the 7.2 stone again my PCOS will diminish. I'm fed up with it.
It controlled my life the last 10 years, I would like to have my life back! :missing:

Hi guys, this may have been mentioned already but there are a lot of posts to sift through! The best dietary way of controlling PCOS is by following a low glycemic index diet. Insulin resistance is the underlying cause of PCOS and a diet which is similar to that for a diabetic is generally the best type to follow as it will help in the control of blood sugar levels. A higher protein diet can also be helpful. Anyway just wanted to mention diet again as medication can certainly help, but eating for the condition is also vital!

You are right low carb food is the best for PCOS but not every woman with PCOS has insuline resistance what I could find out myself when I tried metformin.
It didn't work in my case because I had no insuline resistance, they made this sugar tolerance test with me to be sure.

I lost all my excess weight a few years back, took up running, came off Dianette to see how things were: my symptoms hadn't improved. In fact coming off Dianette made it harder to maintain my weight, I became lower and lower in esteem with greasy skin and spots (which were not that bad before I took the pill), excess hair worsened. I also tried metformin at one point, it didn't do anything for me. A few months back I had a test for insulin resistance and it came back normal so that would probably explain that. I ended up going back on the pill.

I don't think it's fair to push diet and exercise as some sort of miracle cure, it's certainly something we should strive towards, be a bit healthier! I just think of the times I've been disappointed thinking this could work, that could work, only to find it hadn't. I would never say give up hope though, I certainly haven't!!

I found out I have PCOS by accident at a scan - the Sonographer just 'dropped it in' the conversation...I didn't realise the implications till I looked It up and it explains a few things for me. Luckily I do not suffer from the skin conditions or hairyness but I definitely have the insulin resistance and am finding it difficult to concieve. I try to stick loosely to a low GI diet.

Hi, has anyone gone down from a BMI of around 27 to a 25 or below and found that they have been able 2 conceive as a result? We have been trying 4 the past 5 years with no luck but i have heard that it should only affect fertility if ur BMI is over 29 so am unsure whether losing weight will make all that much difference! I know i still need 2 get 2 a healthy weight anyway but just dont wanna pin all my hopes on losing weight! I still have a period every month but not with a regular cycle ( tends 2 b between 28 to 34 day cycles) - is it possible 2 av periods like this n not b ovulating? Thanx in advance 4 any advice! Xx

Back