Doc would rather put me on orlistat

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by rainbow27, 10 January 2011 Social URL.

1. rainbow27

rainbow27 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(6.8%)
    Diet:
    eat less move more!& mixing it up high protien & shakes
    Hello i went to my doctors today to get all the stuff filled out for lighter life etc and she didnt do it and gave me orlistat instead?! i dont know what to do now, if i should give these pills a chance or go to another doctor??
    xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Spanglymum

Spanglymum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    107.27kg
    Current Weight:
    101.83kg
    Goal Weight:
    69.85kg
    Lost(%):
    5.4kg(5.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I would get a second opinion. No point taking drugs if what you want to do is lighter life. It's your body! Good luck!

Last edited: 10 January 2011
  4. loula

loula Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st0lb
    Current Weight:
    18st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(4.89%)
    Diet:
    Lighterlife
    I was prescribed orlistat a few years ago. I honestly would not touch it with a bargepole. I used it for about 10 days in had the worst stomach cramps ever, obnoxious wind, and the ongoing paranoia that i was going to have an accident in my pants all the time. Going to the loo was horrendous. Do some research online - for some people it does work but for me it wasn't the solution. Good luck whatever you decide xx

5. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    Thats disgraceful, how dare the doctor put you on a drug you didnt want, and what is so bad about LL that they would rather you took drugs. I would go back and see another doctor.

6. Pinkie :)

Pinkie :) Slowly shrinking again!

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(12.07%)
    Diet:
    Jan - July '11 on LLT (Lost 72lbs). Sept '12 on S&S (For Refocus!).
    Yup... Had Xenical myself years ago, which I understand is similar... echo the above sentiments about the side-effects... Would not go near it again... As said, it works for some, but if what you're after is LL, then they should let you do that!

As Lynn says, go to see a different doc... that's just not on to give you drugs when you want to do it this route... incredible!!

xx

7. jc1976

jc1976 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8.5lb(9.32%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    One of the girls in my groups gp wouldn't sign the form for her she ended up going to a private dr cost her £30 go back to your gp tell her to read the form she's only signing saying your fit and what medication your on, she is not taking any responsibility for you doing this. Good luck x

8. Jezebella

Jezebella Playing the Angel

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st2lb
    Lost(%):
    5st10lb(40.2%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    The magical thing about LL, and this is what drugs will never do for you, is the classes or groups, here you confront your issues with food and work through them to understand why you abuse food in the way you do, through the use of CBT and TA. Sharing the experiences with others going through exactly the same thing is also incredibly helpful. No drug will ever give you this, this is what helps you maintain your weight loss. If I were you, unless you really want to use Orlistat, i would seek a second opinion and try and get another doctor to sign your forms. Sorry if I sound like I am on my soap box where LL is concerned but it has changed my life completely - I am a new person!!

Good Luck whatever your choice

J
    xx

9. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I cant believe she thought Orlistat was anything like a substitute for LL. Can I tell you I used it years ago and it made not one bit of difference. I still lost a steady half a stone a month on WW, it did me no good at all.

Thats shocking, its not her decision to make.

10. rainbow27

rainbow27 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(6.8%)
    Diet:
    thanks for your replies im flumoxed as well as to why she would rather give me this.. i think i will go see a private gp.. how much is it for your doc to fill the form out anyway???
    i think she thought she would be saving me money as well.. she is a good doctor i think maybe she has had a few folk that have failed at this diet but i wouldnt!!!
    yeah i agree i think the cbt etc would be fantastic for me! argh i dont know what to do i totally thought i would be on this diet by now :( xxx

11. carrieclaus

carrieclaus Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    6st10lb(41.87%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    5:2
    contact your llc and she/he should be able to put you in touch with a doc that can check you over and sign you off? xx

12. Pinkie :)

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(12.07%)
    Diet:
    My GP charges £40 each month to check my fill out the form and sign it! Does anyone else pay this much?! Seems a lot to me! Apparently CD is cheaper at £26... which they charged me last month by mistake apparently! When I asked why the difference in cost, they said LL was more involved!

Yeah, sure! It is for us doing the diet... but it's the came process for the doc to take our blood pressure, pulse, and then sign... so, why charge different amounts?! Ridiculous!

13. rainbow27

rainbow27 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(6.8%)
    Diet:
    I did Cambridge & my doc never charged anything 40 a month seems a bit much jeez! I'm now in two minds to go back on
    The cambridge & do some CBt or eft myself

14. MagdaX

MagdaX is Magdalicious

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(19.26%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life/ Exante
    I pay £5 at my local chemist! My gp wanted to charge £20 I told him to stuff it!
    £40 is a lot! On top of what you already pay for LL! I'd definitely shop around!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

15. carrieclaus

carrieclaus Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    6st10lb(41.87%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    5:2
    thats right some chemists do the check ups for free, think lloyds was one. i work in boots and we dont offer that service but i know others do, id def shop around pinkie xx

16. Pinkie :)

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(12.07%)
    Diet:
    Yeah?! Cheers everyone! Had no idea I was being charged so much over the odds... It is a ridiculous cost, added on top of the LL prices... Will look into Lloyds, and also do a bit of ringing around for sure!

Thanks for the advice... Brilliant! :D xx

17. SunshineCass

SunshineCass Full Member

My doctor refused to sign my form, i got so upset because i thought this would be my last chance. My mum called the LLC and she referred us to a doctor in her area that charged £30. x

18. nutty me

nutty me onwards and downwards

Start Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    low carb
    It is my surgery policy not to sign the LL forms.
    My LLC gave me the number of a private gp who was charging 25.
    Local chemists can do your blood pressure, for a fiver, or so. Apparently superdrug is expensive.

19. SunshineCass

SunshineCass Full Member

Our surgery decided to tell us it was their policy too after waiting for an hour in the waiting room.. They had it on the board at their desk. You'd think they would know.. x

20. Spanglymum

Spanglymum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    107.27kg
    Current Weight:
    101.83kg
    Goal Weight:
    69.85kg
    Lost(%):
    5.4kg(5.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My gp charged me £30 so the next month on advice from my group I went to the local pharmacy: £5!

I think it's appalling that doctors charge so much for this when we're doing something so positive, that will actually save the nhs money in the long run!

21. slendablenda

slendablenda Gold Member

Diet:
    lighterlife
    Yeah, ridiculous.
    You'd think they would all be encouraging people who decide to try and help themselves get slimmer, fitter and healthier.
    Maybe they don't want us to or they'll all be out of a job!;)
    My Surgery didn't charge, but were very dismissive and didn't know much about LL. Now they recommend to people instead of surgery...........!!!!:D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.