Step 1 Sole Source Doctor won't sign form - what now?

emdee83

I've been doing Cambridge for 3 months, on and off, and have lost almost 2 stone. However, my consultant was really terrible and so I found a new one.

I have PCOS and my first consultant told me that I didn't need a doctors signature. Apparently that isn't the case, so to start with the new consultant, I need to get my form signed.

I went to the doctor this evening and I didn't get any further than "I've been doing Cambridge..." before she cut me off. She point blank refused to even let me speak and refused to sign the form. She suggested that I try calorie counting because cutting down to 1200 calories a day always works for her. By that point, I was in tears and just left. She made me feel like a very silly little girl :-(

Did anyone else have trouble getting a doctors signature? I really don't want to go back to my old consultant - she never had products in stock, told lies and cancelled most appointments. My new consultant is amazing, but I just can't start the plan with her.

I loathe doctors !

Make an appointment to see another doctor, her opinion is irrelevant to your needs !

Good luck x

Yup, try a diff doctor, one of the doctors told my mum they dont advocate VLCDs yet another one said it was great she is doing it.

Don't give up hope, it just sucks that your original CWPC was crap, mine was the same, she didn't even take all the necessary details and didn't inform my doctor like she was supposed to!

I would go see another doctor, and start by saying I'm hear to make sure I can go on a diet. Tell them how unhappy you are and that you have tried other things already (if you have) try and tell them that you have a one to one adviser who will be checking up on you weekly and that is why you need the form signed.

While we are on this topic, I asked if I should fill in my doc's info and she told me not to bother. So she doesn't even know who my doc is. Is that mandatory?

Your dr didn't read the forms right , your not asking for their permission your asking them just to confirm your relevant mwdical history , it makes me angry how they all have opinions on weightloss , yet do very little about in support ! I told mine exactly this when he tried to preach to me , i also reminded him i would be costing the nhs more due to health problems related to obseity!!

While we are on this topic, I asked if I should fill in my doc's info and she told me not to bother. So she doesn't even know who my doc is. Is that mandatory?

Yup. The Cambridge consultant code of conduct states a MRF (medical referral form) must be completed for every new customer, and anyone doing SS must sign and give permission for the CWPC to notify the persons doctor they are on a VLCD and that clinical supervision is mandatory.

Which insinuates the doctor information is also mandatory. If a MRF is not "fully complete and legible" it will invalidate the consultants insurance under company policy.

Basically they should write to your doctor as an FYI.

I was shocked when I read the code of conduct since my original CWPC neglected so much of it!

Two years ago went to my doctor (who was brilliant ) and cried saying I was so unhappy with my weight, but because my body hurts so much can't excercises etc etc .

He was superb and said he would diet with me and he would weigh me fortnightly and if no good I should try Lighter life !

Guess what ...... He was "got rid of" as he cost the practice to much money !

Lat year went again and saw lady Dr , who was very rude and made me feel awful, I came out in tears ! I actually complained to practice manager .

So their opinion is irrelevant it's what YOU want to do .

My CDC said that if my doctor refused to sign my form she could email the Cambridge medical team and they would sort something out for me. It turns out my doctor was brilliant and had no issue signing the form, but it seems there is a way to get round the issue. Don't lose hope, speak to your CDC about it and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

Your dr didn't read the forms right , your not asking for their permission your asking them just to confirm your relevant mwdical history , it makes me angry how they all have opinions on weightloss , yet do very little about in support ! I told mine exactly this when he tried to preach to me , i also reminded him i would be costing the nhs more due to health problems related to obseity!!

Julie is totally right here - they are not giving permission, only signing to say that the information given on the form is correct. Try seeing another Dr in the practice and if no joy there speak to the practise manager. Don't let it stop you - Good luck

Back