Doctors Signature Requirements Cambridge Diet

Hi,

I have been wanting to start the CD diet for a while now. I contacted a consultant and was advised due to my BMI being 46 I needed to get my GP to sign the form. So I arranged for a GP appointment, where after 15mins of arguing I was unsuccessful... the GP point blank refused to sign it saying she doesnt endorse it... i did explain i wasnt asking her to endorse it but simply just to agree what i had put on the form was correct... she also emailed other GPs in the practice whilst i was in the room asking if anyone else would sign the form, to which she told me the reply was no.
So i rahter angrily left the Appointment and proceeded to contact the consultant to advise them that my GP would not sign the form and the consultant told me that I would not be able to proceed with the Diet plan.

Over the past few weeks I have had many friends who have been successful with the CD and I am slightly envious that they were able to proceed yet I was not. So i got to researching and found that It is possible to commence without a GP signature until such times my BMI falls below the suitable level to do that lower steps.

SO what I am wondering is... is this possible???

Also I suffer from poly cystic ovarian syndrome, and was wondering if this would be a contraindication to any of the plans and if without a GP signature would I be eligible for the lower caloried plans.

I am desperate to lose weight and like many have failed to achieve this, and not only have i failed to achive it but i have also gained more weight due to low self esteem. I am in a RUT and I very much want to get out of it... hopefully with the help of CD.

If anyone has any help or suggestions I welcome them :)

Im sure Ive seen people say you can get forms signed privately, it costs around £30 I believe.

Another option would be to do another VLCD which doesnt require the doctors signature, not all of them do

gosh im no expert at all might be worth while ringing round a few cd consultants to see if they have any clients with diabetes and even just call the doctor for advise, hope she gets some answers soon x

Could you not do Atkins or a shop brought vlcd until your bmi hits 40?

Can I just point out (I know its an old post) but on the insulin dependance front she couldn't do SS/SS+ or 810 cause she'd go into Ketosis which can be a really serious condition if you're type one diabetic - DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis which is when your in Ketosis but also have raised acid levels in your blood stream) put my partner into intensive care, and has put others into comas or worse.

Kaitey is right, after all ketostix were designed for diabetics to check they arent in ketosis, not cd'ers to check they are.

The 1000 plan should still give very good results:)

gorgehun80 said:
that was meant to say DID NOT make me get a drs note!

If your bmi is above 40 you should have had to.

My bmi started over 40 and I did not require a dr signature and I am perfectly fine ! I have no other health conditions though ! It's annoyed me abit as the nhs prescribe a diet to those who need surgery that is v v similar to the Cambridge diet with bmi well over 40 ! The health implications of having a bmi over 40 are risky so any gp should encourage weight loss considering the nhs use similar products and if they would not sign they should have offered alternative support ! Do your research love and head back to that gp armed and ready !!!!!!!!!

heever86 said:
Hi,

I have been wanting to start the CD diet for a while now. I contacted a consultant and was advised due to my BMI being 46 I needed to get my GP to sign the form. So I arranged for a GP appointment, where after 15mins of arguing I was unsuccessful... the GP point blank refused to sign it saying she doesnt endorse it... i did explain i wasnt asking her to endorse it but simply just to agree what i had put on the form was correct... she also emailed other GPs in the practice whilst i was in the room asking if anyone else would sign the form, to which she told me the reply was no.
So i rahter angrily left the Appointment and proceeded to contact the consultant to advise them that my GP would not sign the form and the consultant told me that I would not be able to proceed with the Diet plan.

Over the past few weeks I have had many friends who have been successful with the CD and I am slightly envious that they were able to proceed yet I was not. So i got to researching and found that It is possible to commence without a GP signature until such times my BMI falls below the suitable level to do that lower steps.

SO what I am wondering is... is this possible???

Also I suffer from poly cystic ovarian syndrome, and was wondering if this would be a contraindication to any of the plans and if without a GP signature would I be eligible for the lower caloried plans.

I am desperate to lose weight and like many have failed to achieve this, and not only have i failed to achive it but i have also gained more weight due to low self esteem. I am in a RUT and I very much want to get out of it... hopefully with the help of CD.

If anyone has any help or suggestions I welcome them :)

Hi I started Cambridge almost 6 weeks ago my bmi was 45.6 and I didn't need a gp signature my CDC just told me I had to go on the red1 plan which came out in October its 4 shakes a day with a pint of skimmed milk a day also until my bmi drops to 40 or below its currently at 41.6 ask your CDC about that x good luck in your journey

Hi everyone.. I'm hoping to start the CD this week.. Had to get my form signed by my GP as I take medication for anxiety - got to the Doctors and was told I would have to pay a charge of £48!!! After a bit of upset and trying to reason with the receptionist I was told I would definitely have to pay as CD does not come under the NHS... very angry as if I was a smoker I would be getting plenty of help, but because I want to help myself by losing weight I have to pay for a bloody signature!!
Anyway I agreed to pay but I have to wait for up to a week to get my signed form back, so I will be starting the diet later than anticipated... I'm really upset about the £48 charge!! Has anyone else had to pay this?

What's the £48 for to get a form signed? That seems crazy?

Its a bit like passports etc. Some GPs are all about the money!

What's the £48 for to get a form signed? That seems crazy?

Yep, to get the form signed! And instead of signing it there and then I have had to wait for a week so I can't start until tomorrow! To be honest at reception they didn't seem to have a clue they just wanted my cash! Very annoying indeed. Oh well now that I have forked out all this money it will make me even more determined!!

That is really upsetting to read. Some GPs are muppets. Well, at least ur looking at the positive with the situation. I was lucky that my GP signed my consent form free of charge. She's really into helping people who help themselves. Shame not all docs see it that way.

That is really upsetting to read. Some GPs are muppets. Well, at least ur looking at the positive with the situation. I was lucky that my GP signed my consent form free of charge. She's really into helping people who help themselves. Shame not all docs see it that way.

Yeah it was really upsetting for me, I was trying not to cry in the surgery!! But in a way now that I have had to pay so much money out it has made me all the more determined to do well on this diet! 1st weigh-in tomorrow, can't wait!

Yeah it was really upsetting for me, I was trying not to cry in the surgery!! But in a way now that I have had to pay so much money out it has made me all the more determined to do well on this diet! 1st weigh-in tomorrow, can't wait!

I love your determination and the fact that you let a negative thing become positive for you. That's brilliant. I'm so excited for your weigh in :D

Souffle la good luck with your weigh in x

How did you get on with your weigh in?

starting weight: 13st 10. Week one -9lb

Back