Does alcohol impact your weight loss?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by couteaux, 28 January 2010 Social URL.

1. couteaux

couteaux Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan!
    Hi all,

I've been trying to cut back on wine over the last few weeks in a bid to boost my weight loss. So instead of using 80% of my syns on a glass of wine most evenings (more at w'end) I have limited it to some at the weekend and no more until Thurs (WI). So at least 3 alcohol free days - but this has not made a difference to my loss at all.

I was wondering if anyone else had this? I have seen some people cut back on booze and the weight just drops off :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. MiniMimi2091

MiniMimi2091 running strictly on fat!

Start Weight:
    13st4.1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7.7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.1lb(12.95%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet Step 2
    Ermmm...not exactly drops off but if you don't decrease your alcohol intake you'd need to compromise on smthg else.
    I didn't realise how much calories it used to add to my daily diet!!
    You have to weight up what's more important - if you cut your food intake daily you'd have to compromise between food and alcohol.
    Would you preffer one small meal or 2 glasses of wine?
    Choice is yours but yes, it does make it more difficult to lose weight x

4. BikerAngel

BikerAngel Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Our consultant refered to it as liquid cake lol. I have found better weightlosses since I cut out the red wine. I have no choice though as its my tablets I am on for my arthritis I am not supposed to drink with them. I do still have the odd glass but nothing like we used to

5. pesty

pesty Fighting the bulge

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well actually ive found the weekends that i dont have a drink or a 'naughty day' as i like to call it, i actually lose less weight than when i have my one bit of rebellion!! For instance last 2 weeks both food intake the same and syns watching first week i drink the pubs whole supply of vodka :) and lost 6lbs, this week i saved the syns to do the same but instead drank just diet coke all night!!

This use to happen to me last time i was on SW so i use to excuse my weekend endulgence!

Probably a huge coincidence but it does make you wonder!!

6. Sorus

Sorus Going for it.

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Exante VLCD
    I tend to get away with drinking spirits (as in they don't affect my weight loss except, maybe, ironically in a good way) but not sadly with wine or any other alcoholic drink.

Bring on the G and Slimline T I say!

7. eye6769

eye6769 Vegetarian who lives2eat

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    SW
    I tend to think that I get a better weight loss as long as I stick to the daily syns. The scientists still say that a glass a wine a day does more good than harm. cheers !!!!!!

8. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

Start Weight:
    18st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    8st1lb(42.64%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World - On-line member
    As long as you syn it, it will be fine. You have to have a 'normal' life to make this sustainable long-term.

I think if you were a heavy drinker and stopped, you would lose a lot of bloat, but this would even out over time.

I remember hearing a quote years ago about someone thinking of quitting everything 'bad' to be healthier, and someone else said "You don't live any longer.........it just feels longer!"

xx

9. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I use most my syns on alcohol and it has not hampered my weight loss at all.
    My Consultant said a syn is a syn and you can use them however you feel.
    I do like wine, but it is very high in syns and I am not happy with just one glass so I very seldom drink it. I treat wine as a treat and have a flexi syn day when I do.
    However, I have always been a brandy & coke drinker. Years ago I drank it with "fat coke" but I gave up "fat" coke when I started SW in 2002 and hate it now!
    So, now I have a tot (using a 25ml tot measure as I can be heavy handed!) in a pint glass and top it up with diet coke.
    Only 2.5 syns and one drink lasts ages and if I have no other syns I can have 6 of these a day! Most days I just have 2 or 3 but sometimes 7 or 8!
    I think if you enjoy having a tipple, and if you count the syns there is absolutely no harm in it as you feel less restricted than feeling you have to cut it out.
    For me, I prefer to use my syns on alcohol than crisps or chocolate!
    It's all up to what you enjoy really.

10. couteaux

couteaux Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan!
    I love that quote!

Malaika - You're right, a syn is a syn. I'm not cutting the number of syns, just changing what I use them for. I don't want to start cutting down the number I am using until I have to anyway.

Thanks for all the replies :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.