Does alcohol make you gain?

StaceyUK

Gold Member
Just a theory I'm working on....I notice that if I go out drinking I tend to stay the same or gain - even if I stay within my syns.

I started this week with 105 syns and counted down from there. I've still got about 35 syns left for today and tomorrow (I weigh tomorrow). So I've stuck within my syns but yet my scales are showing a gain of 1-2lb.

Does anyone else experience this?

The only other explanations are:

1) star week - I think I'm going to start this week as I'm feeling really bloated and crampy.

2) I went to wagamamas for lunch at the weekend and had veggie noodles but even then I allowed 6 syns for them in case of oil. I also had a duck gyoza which I counted as 3 (complete guesses for both but better than not counting anything!). Even if I miscalculated seeing as I still have 35 syns to use for today & tomorrow my scales should be showing a loss?

according to my consultant you should use between 5 and 15 sins per day. if you don't use them that day then you can't carry them over. we are told not to save sins for binges.

you could try that for a week and see what happens.

i think it depends on the type of alcohol. now im T Total but i havnt always been. i think that wine, beer types make you gain were as white spirits with diet mixers tend to have no effect.....if they do its usually the food they make me eat on the way home from the pub lol.

i also find that on my 'star week' i loose rather than gain, this is because your body burns up more callories due to the high increase in hormones when its this time. you tend to gain weight through the fact that you fancy more 'naughty' food and find it harder to reisit this food when its that time of the month.

good luck

i tend to put weight on when i drink lager so i being a good girl and am now a vodka and diet coke drinker lol

lager tends to bloat you up, vodka don't and the added bonus is if you out on night out and drinking vodka you don't need to wee as much lol( well i don't anyway lol) :eek:

I dont tend to put on from drinking - I drink Vodka and diet coke and drinking binges don't seem to have had an affect on my weight loss so far xxxx

i think the reason i put on weight in the first place is through alcohol, i used to drink every night, bad i know but i love cider and cocktails, not a big vodka and diet coke fan :(

i dont loose as much if i drink, i was on anti biotics last week and lost 2lbs, my biggest loss since my first week so definitly if i drink i find it hard to loose.

Mod Karen - that's interesting. I've never heard of not being able to carry syns over. My consultant is always talking about flexible syns, etc. She's never mentioned not carrying them over or saving them up. Interesting!

Thanks for all your comments! I guess it will be a mystery weight gain for me this week! I drank 7 vodkas with soda water and fresh lime - so only 17.5 syns. Hardly enough to make me put on 2lb!

I've been going to class for 2 weeks now and each week I have only lost 1 lb. I drink vodka at the weekend and yes I do binge but I don't use any syns through the week. I am sure that this is why I'm not losing so much though so this week I am going to try to stay off alcohol over the weekend or at least only have a couple on one of the nights!!! We'll see what happens. I have weigh in again tomorrow and I'm not expecting to have lost anything!:(

It's a bit of a sticking point about carrying Syns over cus I've been at SW for 4 years and we have always been told that we can have our Syns as a weekly or daily allowance but we can't carry them into another week. HE's have to be taken daily and not carried over.

As for alcohol, I drink vodka and it doesn't affect my loss as long as I have planned for it

i try to eat free stuff all day to allow me to have my vodka and diet coke.

I think white wine is very bad for my weight gain. Maybe I should try sticking to rum and diet coke.
Lx

I try to stick to the spirits more that wine etc as they tend to have a lot less Syns

The last time I had a really good drink was a few weeks ago, I had lots of vodka and diet coke, and a couple of wine spritzers. Admittedly, I didn't eat much that day but I did have a few party nibbles. I was really hungry the next day but stuck to the plan and I lost 2.5 pounds that week. I don't drink very often, but maybe I should try it more!

It's a bit of a sticking point about carrying Syns over cus I've been at SW for 4 years and we have always been told that we can have our Syns as a weekly or daily allowance but we can't carry them into another week. HE's have to be taken daily and not carried over.

As for alcohol, I drink vodka and it doesn't affect my loss as long as I have planned for it

That's what I've always been told too.

I allowed for alcohol and deducted my syns for it yet was still showing a gain. However, this morning I've lost 1lb and think it's because my star week finally showed up!

Mod Karen - that's interesting. I've never heard of not being able to carry syns over. My consultant is always talking about flexible syns, etc. She's never mentioned not carrying them over or saving them up. Interesting!

Thanks for all your comments! I guess it will be a mystery weight gain for me this week! I drank 7 vodkas with soda water and fresh lime - so only 17.5 syns. Hardly enough to make me put on 2lb!

i've attended about 5 different classes over the years and everytime they have stated the same 5-15 sins a day and no carrying over. no one has ever said to countdown from a total at the start of the week either.

however, they have mentioned flexisins - there's a good article on SW website about them and it states it shouldn't be used every week and doesn't promise a weight loss if you were to use flexisins. it's more of a way for us to remain in control.

your gain may be water retention as alcohol dehydrates, then your body may be clinging on to fluids. try drinking plenty of water whenever you've had alcohol. and you never know - the scales may still drop. i fluctuate all week then on weigh-in day i usually have a loss.

Just an update to say I STS this week but I am blaming the dreaded star week as otherwise I stuck to plan as normal!!

AM following the 7 day menu in the new magazine so hopefully will lose 3lb this week and get my 3st award!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Back