Does anyone do "No Spend Days" (NSD)??

I set a limit on how much to soend each day. I also like saving as I feel appreciate the item and I have worked harder for it instead of impulsive buying.

Opps! Well today I have already spent £36 on a train fare, £7 on parking & £2.20 on a black coffee. However all expensable with work & on my corporate credit card! My £40 in my purse is safe!

I am having a manicure tonight but am getting it 1/2 price with my loyalty card so that will be £15.

I've just spent £58 on petrol (should last for the month) £11 on fruit and salad and £10 on preschool fees. This no spending is not going well :( determined not to spend anything until Monday when I do big food shop

We don't spend any money as there isn't any to spend. Our bills alone reach 2000 pound which doesn't include food bill, petrol etc. We buy everything we need as we simply can't afford to buy out with our weekly shop. So any tips on shopping would help tho I already do the bulk buying, makin extra etc. Life is so tight just now isn't it? I can't believe we have such high outgoings but the nursery alone is nearly 500 per month. I can't afford to work full time eeeeek

We don't spend any money as there isn't any to spend. Our bills alone reach 2000 pound which doesn't include food bill, petrol etc. We buy everything we need as we simply can't afford to buy out with our weekly shop. So any tips on shopping would help tho I already do the bulk buying, makin extra etc. Life is so tight just now isn't it? I can't believe we have such high outgoings but the nursery alone is nearly 500 per month. I can't afford to work full time eeeeek

I don't know if this helps, but on a episode of superscrimpers a few weeks ago, every parent is entitled to goverment funded childcare vouchers (not just unemployed) i don't know if this would help?
Check out "superscrimpers channel 4" (just google it) and there should be a guide and info for you.

Don't know what to suggest regarding food shop as you seem to be doing everything already.

Know how it feels when all of your bills take up or even exceed the household income :( we've just finished an IVA so have a little breathing room now as after 5 years of having to pay a huge amount if money out every month, we got used to working everything around it so it's spare now. We've decided to have a great holiday next year and then going to start saving the same amount for emergencies/retirement (20 years away but can save a decent pot by very little a month over such a long time)

Are your bills, bill's or debts? (Totally don't have to answer out loud, just makes the next bit either relevant or not)

If it is bills, are there ones there you don't need? Things you could downgrade on? (We changed from the full sky package to the basic and saved £50 a month) expensive car? You could prob trade in and get a more efficient motor, smaller, cheaper to run etc and maybe make a few quid

If it's debts, i would strongly recommend contacting the citizen's advice, or check out "moneysavingexpert.com" for a list of charity debt counsellors who don't charge a few, and will be able to help you out. (I was a proper wreck before we started out iva, i would jump and my heart would race every time the door knocked or the phone rang :( i can't bear the thought of someone else having to live thru it..)

Anyhoo, sorry for such a long post, its probably not relevant at all, but i hope maybe something helps x

My goodness!! I'm in shock. How on earth do you manage? No wonder things are tight for you!!!
I though our bills were high at around 1200 per month - and that includes shopping!

I've just spent £58 on petrol (should last for the month) £11 on fruit and salad and £10 on preschool fees. This no spending is not going well :( determined not to spend anything until Monday when I do big food shop

The only spending there that didn't go so great was the food. Kids/essentials don't count for this bit so don't be so hard on yourself :)
have you got enough petrol/food etc now to last you til when?
Just try and be no spend til then, it takes a bit of forward planning at the beginning as most people don't seem to count a lot of stuff.

look at what you have. Say this will last me til ------ , if everything will last you to that day, then just say to yourself "i won't spend money until -------
tip - if you can, take note of what else has to be paid for n the next few days, is there a way to do it today as it's already a spending day anyway?
x

I was going to buy 2 pairs of jeans from animal as they were only £5 a pair.I was just about to push the buy button when something in my head said do you really need them.So I stopped and thought for a minute and closed the page down.:) Any other time I would just happily do it.
This money saving lark is making me think.:)

Hehe excellent ;)

Opps! Well today I have already spent £36 on a train fare, £7 on parking & £2.20 on a black coffee. However all expensable with work & on my corporate credit card! My £40 in my purse is safe!

I am having a manicure tonight but am getting it 1/2 price with my loyalty card so that will be £15.

ahh expense accounts *jealous*

you still have your pocket money so you're doing aces :D

ooh manicure, have fun, and enjoy the pampering :)

everyone remember for stuff like that, you can get it super cheap by having trainees do it (i know thats not for everyone and certain things you wouldn't risk but for the odd treat it can save a big chunk of the usual cost)

I'm desperately trying to escape my student overdraft (I graduated a year ago) so have started trying. I find SW causes me to spend more and spend less at the same time. Before SW I could spend like a tenner a day on a baguette and drink in the morning and then something else on the way home but now I leave my entire wallet at home so I cant do this! Then I take everything with me food and drink wise.

Since SW though I found we buy so much more food and it costs more. The fruit, the veg. So this Saturday we're going to go to the town market and stock up on cheap veg and fruit there. One problem I find is that my OH does Sw with me and when he knows something is free he'll eat loads! Like a whole packed of cooked chicken is gone in one serving, a pack of cherry tomatoes is gone in a day and stuff like that. Its got to a point where I make him pay specifically for what he eats but still! We plan menus every week and are cutting down on going out but I still seem skint.
I'm trying to tell myself not to buy any clothes because they wont fit me soon!
Also going to do a countdown to save some dollar next week. Hmmm keeping an eye on all this though! x

jaylou said:
My goodness!! I'm in shock. How on earth do you manage? No wonder things are tight for you!!!
I though our bills were high at around 1200 per month - and that includes shopping!

Honestly it adds up. We don't have over draft or credit cards or anything. Or mortgage and child care is just over 1000 combined. I don't suppose we have the best morgage deal but its not easy gettin new one. Council tax is 133 per month and my gas bill alone is 91 per month and electricity is 66 then the usual, tv licence, car insurand, life insurance, I entered a debt management scheme last year and that's 140 but it does add up. Then out with direct debits, partner pays 50 per week on diesal to his partner as they work over hour away in a van, my petrol and shopping. It's constant. Even if my partner earns more money its eaten up with bills. Hoping to get some money off nursery fees soon as the rate goes down.
Now am panicking as to why my outgoings are so high compared to others? Lol nightmare but we have our health.
Will need to look at those vouchers thank you x

I don't have the childcare any more so that knocks 500 off for a start. My gas and electric are 90 combined though, yours does seem high (or is mine low?) although I am careful with things - eg slow cooker not oven if possible!

We allow £300 a month for food, I get it delivered to stop impulse buys!!

If it helps at all our outgoings are generally between £2800-£3000 a month so not higher than everyone lol

That's total though not just essentials lol

The only spending there that didn't go so great was the food. Kids/essentials don't count for this bit so don't be so hard on yourself :)
have you got enough petrol/food etc now to last you til when?
Just try and be no spend til then, it takes a bit of forward planning at the beginning as most people don't seem to count a lot of stuff.

look at what you have. Say this will last me til ------ , if everything will last you to that day, then just say to yourself "i won't spend money until -------
tip - if you can, take note of what else has to be paid for n the next few days, is there a way to do it today as it's already a spending day anyway?
x

Thank you that is great advice. Petrol will last me the month and fruit etc will last until Monday. I needed a couple of other essentials that I hadn't realised and was putting off buying them until tomorrow but I've bought them today so now will have 3 days of non spending. These NSD's are going to be hard especially as I'm a spender but I'm really hoping I can change my habits (plus it will make hubby happier!)

I'd say my monthly outgoings are about £1800 and that's for a family of 4. I went through a brief phase of taking a calculator out with me when doing the food shop so I can see exactly how much I'm spending and also just having cash on me so I couldn't over spend. It definitely helped so will be going back to that method (even though I look like a complete wally when I pressed the C button rather than =!) Our gas and electricity is £48 combined so £90 on just gas seems excessive. Have you looked into swapping supplier? I did and then went back to my old supplier when they did it even cheaper and it's fixed until next Winter.

kingleds said:
I know - its amazing that I'm still the only one in my circle of friend who has successfully given up. I've not idea how anyone affords it anymore!

I gave up almost 2 years ago and about 2 months ago a we were meeting friends out and one rang to ask.us to get him some cigarettes on our way, as we passed a shop and they didn't. I nearly fell over when I saw the price! Was clocking on for £8 for a pack of 20 marlboro lights!
I could always afford it when I smoked but I don't think I could justify that amount even if I wanted to still smoke. It would mean spending twice our weekly shopping money if we were both on 15 a day. Shocking!

Back